Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 06-11-2011, 01:43 PM   #169
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtzako View Post
The only issue I have with the "OEM" camera is that it is hard to tell exactly how far away things are. (especially if you are backing out while turning) I can be within inches of hitting something but on the camera it appears to be a long way away still. It will take some getting used to.
I notice the same thing with my Sony camera. They are VERY wide angle cameras. I find it useless for backing my car into the garage to line it up. I still use my side view mirrors for that. But, I think the camera is most useful just to see if there are any objects in the way. I think it is most useful in parking lots when a child might be behind the car.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 06:58 PM   #170
Gene Culley
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 SS
Smile

Quote:
The only issue I have with the "OEM" camera is that it is hard to tell exactly how far away things are. (especially if you are backing out while turning) I can be within inches of hitting something but on the camera it appears to be a long way away still. It will take some getting used to.
I am finding the opposite with the GM camera. I am finding I feel as if I'm really close to an object and it is a little further away than expected.
Gene Culley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:02 PM   #171
Gene Culley
Account Suspended

Smile

So here is a link to a template I made for the GM camera system only.

http://www.gmpartshouse.com/installd...a-template.pdf

For the larger square, on the outside, it was just about exactly the size of in between the license plate lamps. The inside square is the area needed to be cutout for the GM camera. The inside square drawn is slightly smaller than you'll need to have the camera fit through. I figured it would be better to start out a little small and then you can trim it and customize it to your liking.

Believe it or not I have a couple of hours into the template. The original was done on a piece of cardboard, which I traced to post here.

The small rectangle is almost exactly the size of each side of the camera bracket. I gave you that template as well. I wanted my holes to be just about perfectly centered, and on both sides, since I am OCD so I made the template.

This is for the GM camera system only. If you don't like my template, then don't use it
Old 06-11-2011, 07:07 PM   #172
FRKNlo

Drives: VStar 1100 Classic, 2010 CGM 2SS/RS
Thanks for the template. Will install as soon as I get back from a trip.
FRKNlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:10 PM   #173
Gene Culley
Account Suspended

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRKNlo View Post
Thanks for the template. Will install as soon as I get back from a trip.
No problem. Let me know what you think of it.!
Old 06-25-2011, 08:26 PM   #174
FRKNlo

Drives: VStar 1100 Classic, 2010 CGM 2SS/RS
Thanks so much for this tutorial!

+

and a video:

Oh yeah the template gives a good starting point. Thanks
FRKNlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 02:02 PM   #175
rwavers

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS
Static

Ofer, thanks again for the help earlier. Here is a series of pictures of the static I can't get rid of. Its starts like the first picture then gets better like the second picture after 15-20 seconds. Then it stays like the second pic with the two vertical lines of static and slowly goes from grey to color. Thanks again for your help.
Attached Images

rwavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 02:09 PM   #176
jtzako

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro SS
That looks like either a bad camera or a bad splice in the wires.

Check the back of the big connector up by the mirror, make sure all the wires are solidly in their pins.

If you can, unwrap the tape from the wires and make sure the solder connections are still solid (I had some that had come loose)

Also check the connector back by the camera for the same loose wires/pins.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:06 PM   #177
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
That looks like either a bad camera or a bad splice in the wires.

Check the back of the big connector up by the mirror, make sure all the wires are solidly in their pins.

If you can, unwrap the tape from the wires and make sure the solder connections are still solid (I had some that had come loose)

Also check the connector back by the camera for the same loose wires/pins.
+1 if that does not work what mirror do you have?
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:57 PM   #178
rwavers

I bought the mirror from copper-z71 on eBay. It was the one he had listed for '10-11 Camaros. It's got to be the wires, I hooked up the DVD player to your harness & the mirror displayed perfectly. So tomorrow morning I'm going to tear it all back down & check all the joints. Four more hours of my life...
Old 07-02-2011, 08:13 PM   #179
justa25thTA

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwavers View Post
I bought the mirror from copper-z71 on eBay. It was the one he had listed for '10-11 Camaros. It's got to be the wires, I hooked up the DVD player to your harness & the mirror displayed perfectly. So tomorrow morning I'm going to tear it all back down & check all the joints. Four more hours of my life...
I ended up having to solder the harness that came with the mirror (the same one you got) to ofer's harness. Don't know what the problem was initially, but it works fine now.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:22 PM   #180
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwavers View Post
what camera and wires did you get?
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 12:25 AM   #181
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS, 13' GB Shelby GT500
I would also check the transistor (I think that's what it is) attached to the green wire near the plug that goes into the headliner, if the transistor is backwards it will not allow power to flow through to the camera. That was what my problem was. But allow Ofer to walk you through it all, I completely tore apart mine and had to re-solder it
The IOM Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 06:54 AM   #182
rwavers

Thanks for the help. The camera is from XOvision, model HTC37. I just used a RCA extension cord that plugged directly into the camera pigtail. For the power & ground I used 14g wires that I ran along with the RCA all the way to the front. So the video feed has no splices in it up to the fuse box, just one male to female conector @ the camera. Could a splice in the power or ground cause this? There is only one splice on each, from the length of wire to the 12v female socket that the camera pigtail plugs into. I had good contact on both wires, good solder, then heat shrink. I also pulled a small flatscreen into the front seat & plugged in the RCA that I had ran forward & the picture was fine. So I'm thinking the power, ground, & RCA from the back are ok. I've already switched & re-soldered the terminal in the female RCA on Ofer's harness per his direction over the phone.

Ofer, do you think it could be what IOM Ninja is talking about?

Thanks again.