Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 04-06-2012, 08:58 AM   #1
Fiftydriver

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS RJT L99
Do I need to upgrade my trans, if so how?

Currently I am running around 550 RWHP in my L99, mods listed below in my signature. I am getting ready to take things to the next level and will be installing a one piece aluminum drive shaft and then camming my engine and doing a LS3 conversion. Also will be doing a Maggie stage 1 upgrade from JRE with new fuel pump and injectors as well. Will be topping out in the 650-700 RWHP range.

My question is what can be done to the factory A6 trans to support this power better or is anything needed. This is a street only car, no racing, just a stout street car so with that in mind, what, if anything should be done to the factory trans to support this power level.

Not looking to replace the entire trans, just wondering if there are any upgrades you can do to the stock trans to help it out if needed.

Thanks,

2010 SSRS, RJTC, L99, Maggie 2300 SC, 3.4" pulley, Roto-Fab CAI, Dynatech Supermaxx LT headers, Dynatech High Flow cats, Corsa Cat back exhaust, Dual Elite Engineering catch can, MSD wires and Jannetty custom tune, JRE custom diff w/ posi mod, 3.91 LPE gears, Pfaht trailing arms, Pfaht trailing arm and Diff bushings, drop springs and sport sway bars front and back, Fesler dual guage pillar pod w/ AM Cobalt Boost and A/F guages.

More to come!!
Fiftydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:36 PM   #2
nitto85
Caffeine Injected

Drives: 13 Ram - 05 Widebody 1050rwhp Vette
I know it can, and has been done, but do you really want to push that much power out of a non-forged motor?

Also what about the rear-end? I think your at the limit for your drivetrain now, may even be past it a little.
Are the LPE gears stronger? I've been looking to upgrade myself once I get rid of some debt, but really don't want to (probably can't afford it either) pay for a 9" conversion.
nitto85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:08 PM   #3
Fiftydriver

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS RJT L99
My rear end is ready for the conversion with the full custom JRE differential with billet main caps, posi upgrade and LPE gears. 1400 HP DSS axles and other suspension upgrades.

I have been told the factory trans and driveshafts are good for +700 RWHP, especially on the street with the weakest link being the axles. The A6 is supposed to be much easier on the rear end then the manual transmissions.

Just looking to see if there is anything needed to be done with the trans to make it handle the power better.

As far as the stock bottom end, no worries at all. At first I was a bit worried but I have seen MANY stock bottom end L99s that were making more power then I will be putting down and they were strip cars.

Its all in the tune and not trying to get every last HP possible. Ted Jannetty is not concernd at all and I trust him fully. Plus, if the bottom end breaks, I save up for a forged 416 stroker. I willl be doing that anyway and hopefully the L99 will last a few years until I am ready for that step.

2010 SSRS, RJTC, L99, Maggie 2300 SC, 3.4" pulley, Roto-Fab CAI, Dynatech Supermaxx LT headers, Dynatech High Flow cats, Corsa Cat back exhaust, Dual Elite Engineering catch can, MSD wires and Jannetty custom tune, JRE custom diff w/ posi mod, 3.91 LPE gears, Pfaht trailing arms, Pfaht trailing arm and Diff bushings, drop springs and sport sway bars front and back, Fesler dual guage pillar pod w/ AM Cobalt Boost and A/F guages.

More to come!!
Fiftydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:40 AM   #4
Rockit_z28
www.1baddogracing.com

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS Auto
You have a couple of options if you want to push the 6L80. Both Century Transmission and Circle D can make it stronger. Century has a one year warranty and Circle D offers a 6 month. Monster Trans has one as well, but I could not find any information on what they do and you have to run their converter for the warranty. I understand Gearstar will have something in late April/May. Century does have several Vettes and G8s pushing the 6L. Most would rate either of these at 650 RWHP, but there are cars with more running these transmissions.

You can also purchase the hard parts and have a local transmission shop or yourself do the rebuild.

The final option is to do the 4L swap or wait for the details around the 6L90 that is being put in the ZL1.

Hope this helps

Built and Tuned by Heintz Racing
Go: DSS 9", RPM Trans TH400, Carlyle Racing 15" Conversion, ECS Vortech YSI-B, Fore Fuel System, ID1700, Gall Racing 427 C.I LSX, Mast 285CC Heads, HR Custom Cam

Show: Custom Painted Stripes/Badges (Orange Pearl over White), Z/TA Spoiler, VFN Hood, Weld Wheels
http://www.HeintzRacing.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/1baddogracing

Rockit_z28 is offline   Reply With Quote