Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 08-20-2009, 01:05 PM   #1
JohnInSoCal

Drives: RJT L99 500HP
Questions about supercharger/turbo

ok, I live in CA and have an SS / auto on order and I am thinking about going the supercharger or turbo route. I understand it will void the warranty for drive train so my questions are

1) Say I get a supercharger installed and the tranny goes out or something in the engine (not sure what a SC/tubro might stress). What kind of cost would I be looking at for repair on these things ?

2) In CA does a supercharger effect a smog check at all ? As long as it's CARB it's ok ?
JohnInSoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 01:14 PM   #2
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
if it has a CARB cert, it's legal and you can smog it with everything installed. Same with a Turbo, it needs a CARB cert to be legal.

As for the cost of repairing, I have no idea. go check gm's accessory page for price of a transmission.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:31 PM   #3
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/A6 cammed-n-whippled
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnInSoCal View Post

1) Say I get a supercharger installed and the tranny goes out or something in the engine (not sure what a SC/tubro might stress). What kind of cost would I be looking at for repair on these things ?
The stock trans should hold up for a while...until you put slicks on it and do some serious launching. If $$ is a real issue, go conservative on the amount of boost to keep the amount of stress on the drive-train to a minimum.

If you do blow up your trans (or anything else for that matter), you're NOT going to want to put a stock unit back in...you'll just blow it up again. If you're really concerned, contact performance transmission shops to see what they'd charge to do a rebuild on a 6L80.

try these guys...
www.bowlertransmissions.com
Old 08-20-2009, 03:08 PM   #4
Gentry78
HOOK'EM

Drives: 97 c1500/92 olds
or depending on how much boost you plan to run build it up from the start to help minimize future issues
Gentry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 03:26 PM   #5
JohnInSoCal

Drives: RJT L99 500HP
thanks for the info, I would want to go with minimal boost. I am looking for a nice power increase for a daily driver type car but still be reliable. I work out of the house so I don't have a daily commute to deal with. I will not be taking this to the drag strip, just looking to glue myself to the seat on acceleration.

So I am thinking supercharger, new exhaust, maybe headers not sure about that, looking for a mean sound. I would like it to be able to pass smog in CA though.
JohnInSoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 03:29 PM   #6
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/A6 cammed-n-whippled
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnInSoCal View Post
So I am thinking supercharger, new exhaust, maybe headers not sure about that, looking for a mean sound. I would like it to be able to pass smog in CA though.
any supercharger will benefit big time from a free-flowing exhaust...so if you can do any kind of headers and stay smog-legal, it would be worth it.
Old 08-25-2009, 04:40 AM   #7
SuperchargersOnline

Drives: 350z Supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERFREAK View Post
any supercharger will benefit big time from a free-flowing exhaust...so if you can do any kind of headers and stay smog-legal, it would be worth it.
Well, the only problem that you will run into when adding headers is that a lot of times the headers will free up the exhaust so much that the stock tune from the s/c Manufacture might run lean. A lean condition can blow your engine. So a lot of times you have to get a custom tune in order to get your fuel/air ratio where it should be. Once this is done, it will not be able to get pass smog.

You got to remember that when the s/c manufacture designs their systems, it is made for stock engines. Anything to improve the airflow will effect their tune and to be safe you should get it re-tuned.
SuperchargersOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:47 AM   #8
ZZcamaro

Drives: 2SS w/ ZZ427 Package!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERFREAK View Post
It will certainly be worth it.
Also the CARB certification for the Magna kit is in the works. All those with a kit prior to the certification will receive a CARB plate and number once it passes. That is great news for CA folks.

If you are interested, feel free to get in touch, and I will do what I can to hook you up with the best deal possible.
ZZcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote