Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 12-28-2010, 01:50 PM   #29
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
First thing I would say is call or email Nate@theretrofitsouce.com and he'll help you with everything you need. Matt and Nate were extremely helpful, answered the phone everytime (during business hours), and really took the time to talk out all my concerns.

One of the reasons I wanted him to take pics of the different shrouds is so that others could look at them and decide which one to buy.

Here is what I was quoted for parts from TRS:
Morimoto Mini Bi-xenon projectors (H1)
Morimoto 3Five Digital ballasts w/ brackets
Morimoto 3Five 4300K/5000K/6000K H1 bulbs
Your choice of shrouds/bezels
H13/9008 Bi-xenon relay wire harness
$300 shipped UPS with tracking and insurance

As for mounting the ballasts....the driver's side one I used a small self-tapping screw and mounted it to the radiator support. Because of my CAI I couldn't really find a good place to zip tie it to. On the passenger side I zip tied it to some of the wire looms on that side.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 01:55 PM   #30
caverman

I don't have a pic of the ballast on the driver side but I'll get you one by the weekend if you still need it. The car isn't at my house right now.

Here is a pic of the passenger side. Again, just zip tied to some wiring loom.

On the driver side it's just in front of my CAI, mounted with a single screw just under the lip that has the rubber to seal the hood.

You can follow this thread I did to install the AAC lights. Installing the relay, power, and negative is all the same. Actually the TRS relay is exactly the same as the one AAC uses.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69917

If you have any questions just ask.
Attached Images

-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
Old 12-28-2010, 03:51 PM   #31
clg_98ta

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Hey, thanks for all the info... I'm seriously considering these. I currently have the AAC 'HOD' Xenon bulbs which are an improvement over the lame halogens, but these seem like a couple steps up. I also don't really care about the halos...

Don't worry about the additional pics, I think I have what I needed.

clg_98ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 04:06 PM   #32
caverman

No problem.

Even the AAC HID kit is not to bad but these are going to out perform those by a long shot. I occasionally get the on coming people to flash their brights at me (of course I then flash my brights back). Going with these projectors should fix all that. It puts nice clean cut-off line that dips down for on coming traffic.

If you don't plan on doing another retrofit or if you don't want to mess with opening up your headlights then I would tell you to spend the $150 and let TRS do the lights for you. It's worth letting someone that knows what they are doing setup the lights and make sure it's all aligned correctly. Although you can DIY fairly easy. Nate or Matt can walk you through any questions if you DIY.

Parts and labor will cost you $450 plus about $10 shipping. You just need to supply the headlight housing. They did a great job of adjusting and re-sealing the lights. I should've taken some pics of the lights once I got them but I was too anxious to get them on. If you end up shipping some just make sure the packing is done right so you get them damaged like what happened to my first set.

Call Nate and tell him you saw the ones he just did and want some similar to it. He'll tell you what you need to do.

Stay tuned and I'll have more pics and hopefully some video by this weekend.
Build Journal
Old 12-28-2010, 05:25 PM   #33
SNV

Drives: 2014 RRM 2ls
I'll shoot him an email this week. As I said I have the hid parts now so I don't need them. I guess it also comes down to how much I could find the housings for. I can't send mine out because my car is my DD.
SNV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:33 PM   #34
caverman

Got my brakes done tonight (another awesome mod) which means I was able to get the car off the lift. Great night for working tonight since it was an unseaonably 72 degrees today.

A quick adjustment to level out the passenger side light with the driver side and it is awesome. They look great and the cut-off line is nice and crisp. LOVE IT! I got exactly what I wanted...projector HID with the chrome look of the Halogen housing. The 5000k bulbs are a perfect color for me.

Only bad thing is it looks like i might have to buy a different set of fog lights now. They are a little too blue for the 5000k headlights.

I took some video as well but it will be tomorrow before I can get that edited and posted.
Attached Images

Build Journal
Old 12-30-2010, 11:02 PM   #35
caverman

Here is a comparison of the factory Halogen, then AAC's HID kit with 8000k bulbs, then the retrofit with 5000k bulbs. You can see how much better the lighting is and how much wider of a throw the projectors give off.
Attached Images

Build Journal
Old 12-30-2010, 11:20 PM   #36
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Looks real nice, good to see your all done.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:42 PM   #37
caverman

I adjusted the passenger side down some to get a straight line.
Attached Images

Build Journal

Last edited by caverman; 12-31-2010 at 12:08 AM.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:00 AM   #38
SNV

Drives: 2014 RRM 2ls
Cut off looks great. Real nice job .
SNV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 04:31 PM   #39
caverman

Just took a look at the video I have. Can't really see much because the camera didn't really pick up on the blusish/purple look you get from the projectors. You can see how wide the throw is going down the road but you can see that in the picture I posted as well.

Sucky thing is that is did show me how much of a difference you can see in the 5000k lights and the 6000k fogs. Guess I'm going to have to pull off Fieldgoal00's harness until I can figure out something else for my foglights.
Build Journal
Old 01-05-2011, 08:39 AM   #40
caverman

Washed the car yesterday before it starts getting cold around here. I also took out the 6k fog lights and went back to my AAC 5202 bulbs. Still not a match but not that far away either.
Attached Images

Build Journal
Old 01-06-2011, 12:36 AM   #41
Alrighty Then

Drives: 2010 V6 M6 Camaro
That looks really cool, first I thought it would be cool to get a HID kit and I read through all your posts on that. Then I found this stuff about projector retrofits--something I had never heard of. Anyway, a few hours later and now I know what I'm saving up for haha. Cool car man.
Alrighty Then is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:37 AM   #42
C586
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...01#post2601901

This is my roomates thread. He does retrofits. He is doing my C5 next week hopefully. I got some bigger halos then he has. His are 100mm and I got 120mm.
C586 is offline   Reply With Quote