Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 12-18-2015, 10:38 PM   #15
PostNup
CAR-DASHIAN

Drives: 2015 Ashen Gray Metallic 2SS/RS L99
I agree with Hilflos, Shelby was an innovator, and one of the all time greats...

But let's be apples to apples here, using the new tech and calling it by this musclecar's patriarch name would be no different than coming up with a new trophy in the NFL to signify some quality of greatness by today's standards... And calling it the Johnny U. Trophy!!!!!

I am ALL about the tech... Just call it what it is, don't hang it on the name of a great man/influence who would not be able to comprehend the technology used. It is just not right.

Is there a Zora edition of the Camaro?
PERFORMANCE: ColdAirInductions CAI, ADM Race Scoop, Cordes Performance Racing Ported TB/IM/Custom VVT Cam, WFO Milled Heads, Stainless Power 1 7/8" LT/3" HFCs, JBA 3" Comp. Cat-Back, Taylor 10.4mm Plug Wires, Tim King Performance Stage 3 6L80, Circle D Billet 3600 Stall, Nic D ECM/TCM Tune, - 458rwhp/413rwtq (prior to PIM), Forgestar F14 (F)18" / (R)17" Rims.

SUSPENSION: Z/28 Rear UCA Bushings, Carlyle Racing LCA/TA, BMR Adj. Toe Rods/Xtreme Anti-Roll Bar, Justice Pete Castor Locks/Radius Rod Inserts, Pegasus Billet Rear Cradle Bushings, Mickey Thompson Street SS II 305/45/17 tires.
PostNup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 11:37 PM   #16
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Didn't read the article because I don't have too just by reading the thread title. That would be a damn shame no matter how well it run. It would only prove to me how munch better it would be if they put their efforts into doing the same with a V8.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 11:53 PM   #17
Donald

Drives: Just a dream...
This is likely just parts sharing for future vehicles. Hubs for the next Taurus AWD model or something, just easier to have it done.
Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 03:48 AM   #18
i2disturbedSS

Drives: 2010 SS L99 IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Motorsports View Post
The 5th Gen Camaro has the same. Rather than using unique parts on ever single car the engineers often use existing parts in their "parts bin" to keep costs down.

Was thinking the same.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:26 PM   #19
Mean Green Z28

Drives: 2010 2SS
Probably much sturdier hubs from a truck platform

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
-- >> Some of my Projects My Fquick Page
Mean Green Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 05:11 AM   #20
hockeylover86

Drives: Buick
Its been hinted by "people in the know" that the next GT500 WILL NOT be V6...

As mentioned earlier, the hubs could be a heavier duty shared component with something else already AWD/4WD..

AWD GT500 would be hugely expensive...
hockeylover86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 01:49 PM   #21
crysalis_01
Iron fist, lead foot

Drives: 2003 Mustang Cobra
Not a shared part. The owner who's post I posted, says it's a distinct part number. So, it's not a parts bin piece. At least not yet. I was thinking perhaps they were designed so GT350 could have a lighter piece while the "GT500" will actually make use of the piece's functionality.

Like I said I don't imagine GT500 will be the first Mustang to use the 3.5EB, that'll go to a SE, while I'd put money on GT500 utilizing something akin to a 5.4L TTV8.
Old 12-24-2015, 03:02 PM   #22
hockeylover86

Drives: Buick
Quote:
Originally Posted by crysalis_01 View Post
Not a shared part. The owner who's post I posted, says it's a distinct part number. So, it's not a parts bin piece. At least not yet. I was thinking perhaps they were designed so GT350 could have a lighter piece while the "GT500" will actually make use of the piece's functionality.

Like I said I don't imagine GT500 will be the first Mustang to use the 3.5EB, that'll go to a SE, while I'd put money on GT500 utilizing something akin to a 5.4L TTV8.
I didn't read that as non-shared across platforms, but not the same checked against other S550 parts.

Over on SVT, a poster claimed that a Ford rep said they were from a Lincoln.

If they build a turbo coyote V8 GT500 with an auto, they will have my money....

DBK over on SVT posted no V6 EB GT500, so thats good enough for me to take as gospel.
hockeylover86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 07:29 PM   #23
crysalis_01
Iron fist, lead foot

Drives: 2003 Mustang Cobra
Nice. Bring on the TT displacement bumped Coyote. Though with that change I'm guessing it would get a new name.

94mm bore - by using the PTWA ala Voodoo
96.4mm stroke - up (3.7mm) from 92.7 to 96.4

Boom, 326.6ci or 5.4L (5.352L but everyone rounds up)
Old 12-31-2015, 08:44 PM   #24
matt55

Drives: CTS-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by crysalis_01 View Post
Nice. Bring on the TT displacement bumped Coyote. Though with that change I'm guessing it would get a new name.

94mm bore - by using the PTWA ala Voodoo
96.4mm stroke - up (3.7mm) from 92.7 to 96.4

Boom, 326.6ci or 5.4L (5.352L but everyone rounds up)
Something sounds funny about a FORD 327 ci lol
Old 01-01-2016, 05:57 PM   #25
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
You guys act like we can just keep pumping out these huge V8 engines over the next 50 years because a v6 wont be ok with the GT500/pony car people. the age of muscle cars years ago died, and it can die again. restrictions can get to a point where its only feasible to make small turbo/electric cars. That day can happen. there are many more people in the world who dont care to drive big V8 sports cars. Most people care more about luxury, and fuel economy. so getting rid of these V8 engines will only hurt a small percent of car buyers (like my self).

i could easily believe ford is going to put a GT engine in the GT500.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:25 AM   #26
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt55 View Post
Something sounds funny about a FORD 327 ci lol
Well the LS7 was actually a 428...so....
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 01:54 PM   #27
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
You guys act like we can just keep pumping out these huge V8 engines over the next 50 years because a v6 wont be ok with the GT500/pony car people. the age of muscle cars years ago died, and it can die again. restrictions can get to a point where its only feasible to make small turbo/electric cars. That day can happen. there are many more people in the world who dont care to drive big V8 sports cars. Most people care more about luxury, and fuel economy. so getting rid of these V8 engines will only hurt a small percent of car buyers (like my self).

i could easily believe ford is going to put a GT engine in the GT500.
Perhaps, but in 50 years the very concept of a personal automobile itself may be obsolete. But since we are currently living in 2016 not 2066, that doesn't really matter. Today, there is no technical reason for a GT500 to have a turbocharged V6. Ford might do it for marketing purposes, but there is nothing stopping them right now from building a 700ish hp supercharged (or turbocharged) large(ish) displacement V8. Any difference in efficiency is going to be minimal at best vs the Ecoboast from the future GT.

There is a myth that replacing a cylinder or two from an engine and replacing it with an air compressor automatically gives you the efficiency of the small engine, with the power of a big engine. In reality, if you tune it to give big engine power, it gets big engine efficiency. Sure, turbocharging might be able to get higher scores on a regulatory test (be it the EPA or from some other body from another country) but in the real world they tend to do no better, or often worse than, equivalent NA engines. And by equivalent I mean similar output, in a similar sized/shaped/mass vehicle, and roughly just as new (ie, not comparing fresh clean sheet engine to one that came out a decade ago).
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 06:09 PM   #28
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Perhaps, but in 50 years the very concept of a personal automobile itself may be obsolete. But since we are currently living in 2016 not 2066, that doesn't really matter. Today, there is no technical reason for a GT500 to have a turbocharged V6. Ford might do it for marketing purposes, but there is nothing stopping them right now from building a 700ish hp supercharged (or turbocharged) large(ish) displacement V8. Any difference in efficiency is going to be minimal at best vs the Ecoboast from the future GT.

There is a myth that replacing a cylinder or two from an engine and replacing it with an air compressor automatically gives you the efficiency of the small engine, with the power of a big engine. In reality, if you tune it to give big engine power, it gets big engine efficiency. Sure, turbocharging might be able to get higher scores on a regulatory test (be it the EPA or from some other body from another country) but in the real world they tend to do no better, or often worse than, equivalent NA engines. And by equivalent I mean similar output, in a similar sized/shaped/mass vehicle, and roughly just as new (ie, not comparing fresh clean sheet engine to one that came out a decade ago).
One thing that is overlooked, specially by americans is Co2 emissions. On average a smaller engine with turbos will produce less emissions. Although you are right in terms of fuel economy. Big V8 engines can turn decent fuel ratings. once you add electric assist, it cuts emissions dramatically.

the emissions is what everyone is worried about.

I would say cars like the 918 spyder are the way of the future. they retain a high displacement, high powered gas engine while having electric assist. You can run the car for 20 miles on just electric. for some people who just drive around town, 20 miles is plenty. but overtime this number will only get better. its way to expensive for affordable cars at this time though.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote