Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 02-11-2013, 07:22 PM   #1
Lio Martinez
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE IMO Turbo
lowest temperatures 1LE can be driven in ?

Guys u need advice, mostly for my safety ... I supposed to take a road trip to vegas this weekend . I'm leaving Friday after work so ill be on my way like at 7 pm hour of california.... One girl from work told me she went this weekend and it was snowing on the way there.

Now I'm quite concerned, since I onow the 1LE tires were not made for low temperatures... What's the lowest temperature under I can still drive safely with those tires ?
Lio Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:10 PM   #2
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
I live in So Cal.i drove to work in 34 degrees everything was fine,the only issue is with traction,dont corner fast you dont have grip.
cornerspeed92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:23 PM   #3
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lio Martinez View Post
Guys u need advice, mostly for my safety ... I supposed to take a road trip to vegas this weekend . I'm leaving Friday after work so ill be on my way like at 7 pm hour of california.... One girl from work told me she went this weekend and it was snowing on the way there.

Now I'm quite concerned, since I onow the 1LE tires were not made for low temperatures... What's the lowest temperature under I can still drive safely with those tires ?
20* or less is no bueno, car should not be driven on the Goodyears, according to GM.
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:30 PM   #4
GunnyG
Da WHALE

Drives: 2014 Stingray, 2015 Panamera 4
I'd say 0 degrees Kelvin. LoL
Old 02-11-2013, 08:43 PM   #5
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273153

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS3DALE View Post
I know this has been discussed and talked about before,but this just come out from GM today.....

Important Date:01/25/2013
Ref. number:Service / Service Operations / G_0000157402
Subject:ZL1 - 1LE Tires
GM CUSTOMER CARE & AFTERSALES

GMSO415
URGENT - DISTRIBUTE IMMEDIATELY

Date: January 25, 2013
SubjectZL1 - 1LE Tires
Models:Camaro ZL1 And 1LE
To:All Chevrolet Dealers
Attention:Service Manager, Sales Manager, Warranty Administrator, Parts Managers

The Camaro ZL1 and 1LE vehicles come standard equipped with 285/35ZR20 & 305/35ZR20 Goodyear F1 Supercar G2 D.O.T. approved ultra high performance summer tires with track capability.

Goodyear F1 Supercar Performance tires are a summer season tire and are not intended to be driven on snow, ice, or road surfaces below -7° C (20° F).

If the ambient temperature in your location is at or below -7° C (20° F), DO NOT MOVE THIS VEHICLE. The rubber used in these tires loses flexibility and may develop surface cracks in the tire tread/shoulder area at colder temperatures. Tire movement, when the temperature is below -7° C (20° F), may result in surface crack in the tread area of the tire. A surface crack on a tire is cosmetic and will not result in a loss of air

Example of a tire with a surface crack.

Special tread and compound used on these performance tires will cause a decrease in performance in cold climates, heavy rain, and standing water.

Driving on wet roads, in heavy rain, or through standing water with Summer Season Performance tires may result in hydroplaning and loss of vehicle control.

Driving with Summer Season Performance Tires on snow, ice, or cold road surfaces can cause loss of control or an accident

Refer to service bulletin 04-03-10-013G: Driving Characteristics of Rear Wheel Drive Vehicles and Available Winter Tires for further information on available winter tires.

Tire Storage
It is recommended for these tires to be stored indoors at temperatures above 20 deg F (-7 deg C) when not in use. If the tires have been subject to 20 deg F (-7 deg C) or less, let them warm up in a heated space to at least 40 deg F for 24 hours or more before installation or driving the vehicle. Inflate the tires only after they have been warmed above 40 deg F (5 deg C). Do not place tires near heaters or heating devices used to warm the room where the tires are stored. Do not apply heat or blow heated air directly on the tires. Always inspect tires before use after storage periods.

END OF MESSAGE
GM CUSTOMER CARE & AFTERSALES

Old 02-11-2013, 10:10 PM   #6
Lio Martinez
Account Suspended

Cornerspeed Thanks for letting me know.... I just didn't want to get into an accident

Thank u so much slick rick the info was just what I needed.

ThNks for posting and for the tips finallysatisfied...

Last edited by Lio Martinez; 02-11-2013 at 10:43 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:36 PM   #7
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Quote:
Cornerspeed Thanks for letting me know.... I just didn't want to get into an accident

Thank u so much slick Rick the info was just what I needed

Thank you finallysatisfied as well for posting
Fixed. No problem man!
Old 02-11-2013, 10:41 PM   #8
Lio Martinez
Account Suspended

Finallysatisfied also Thanks... What's the lowest temps u driven yours into ?
Old 02-11-2013, 11:19 PM   #9
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Quote:
Finallysatisfied also Thanks... What's the lowest temps u driven yours into ?
Lol. NOVA had temperatures of 14* which I had driven them in. I didn't have any issues then again, I drove very cautious.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:29 AM   #10
BRM1LE

Drives: Soon to be 1LE
Lio,

I'm headed out to Vegas this weekend myself. I believe the only snow last weekend was up at Cajon due to the rain. This weekend is supposed to be much warmer than last and no rain in the forecast.

I also have relatives over there and asked about night time temps. there. They said between 35-40 at night so shouldn't be any worries there either.

Be safe and have fun man!
Old 02-12-2013, 03:27 AM   #11
Lio Martinez
Account Suspended

Finallysatisfied Thanks again for the info.. ill be very cautious as well

BRM1E Awesome I might see u over there... I'll be a pleasure to find a camaro and 1LE brother... Have fun too bro
Old 02-12-2013, 06:06 AM   #12
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
From experience in Michigan snow/cold weather driving every year for 24 year with modded cars you just need to be very away of the temperature outside. The car can of course be driven below 20 degrees but it will not corner, brake or accelerate the way it would in a warmer temperature so use caution. Now if you add snow or freezing rain to the mix it may be best to pull over and wait it out or swap on some all season rubber for the winter months and save the summer tires.

Years ago in college I was a snowboard instructor and would leave my board and gear at the resort so I could ride my ZX6R (on slick summer sport bike tires) to work and back with salt covered dry roads and a couple of inches of snow on the ground. Young and dumb? yes, but being cautious I did it often for fun. < point. Just be careful.

Matt
Dropspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:17 AM   #13
Pima

Drives: 2013 2ss/rs/1le vr.
Will the low temperature make the car feel like it needs an alignment? I have noticed the car will drift left or right once in a while in 30 degree weather. I only have 100miles on my car so i don't think it needs an alignment

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Pima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:40 AM   #14
Vroom_vroom
The gritos pollo!!!

Drives: Like a idiot
Once you get out here you will be fine. I would just be carful in the mountain passes on your way if you have to go through any
o; Slp loud mouth I|maganflow x-pipe|Injen long ram intake
|brembo brake upgrade| russell s.s. lines|2LT polished 19's|billet 5mm spacers|tinted tail lights&markers|pdmi|billet c. can|
'13 Avenger R/T
'77 T/A 6.6;, draining my wallet.
Vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote