Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 06-03-2014, 10:33 PM   #57
mycamaro2011

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Victory Red
rust

Wow i live in new england and use my camaro as a daily driver. i didnt start to get rust like that till almost 2yrs after... Cant rusty parts like this be a safety concern later on if it keeps getting worse and a parts fails due to rust?

Way to go GM customer service glad to know youstand behind your products to your loyal customers!

Lets see next the gm rep on here will be asking them to pm you so they can do nothing.. lol
mycamaro2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 05:19 AM   #58
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Tenring,

Thanks for sharing this story with the community. I am pained by this situation, and wish it hadn't happened!

And, I don't think the TSB photos of untreated areas are representative of the damage to your car.

Unfortunately, the take away from all this is buyer beware, even when buying a supposedly new car from a dealer.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 03:24 PM   #59
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
Tenring what was the build date of your car and when did you take delivery?
Old 06-05-2014, 12:13 AM   #60
JD_Alaska

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Coupe L99
So with the brake rotor rusting, my brakes may just fail just as I was about to stop before driving through the show room window at the dealers
JD_Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:11 AM   #61
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

"General Motors uses a large variety of materials in the manufacture of vehicles. Many of these components undergo an extensive corrosion protection process."

These surfaces should not have surface rust on them in a new car.

Rust Never Sleeps.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:22 AM   #62
TrekGTO

Drives: 05 GTO / JETTA TDI
This is unacceptable, I know from personal experience how stressful this is. I would not give up until car was returned or replaced. Take this to the media outlets I recommended earlier! C5 is behind you!
TrekGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 12:59 PM   #63
serows1

Drives: Blue Ray 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrekGTO View Post
This is unacceptable, I know from personal experience how stressful this is. I would not give up until car was returned or replaced. Take this to the media outlets I recommended earlier! C5 is behind you!

Really?!?

Not to be Johnny Raincloud but I would honestly be surprised if any repairs were attempted, the rust in the pics looks like normal surface rust on untreated components, see the GM bulletin I copied above.

I own a 2013 Camaro 2SS and mine looks exactly the same. It's unfortunate but a reality that untreated, bare, scuffed and scratched metal will rust and as bad it may look it there is not a lot you can do to prevent it. Sorry.

Paul
serows1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 05:01 PM   #64
TrekGTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by serows1 View Post
Really?!?

Not to be Johnny Raincloud but I would honestly be surprised if any repairs were attempted, the rust in the pics looks like normal surface rust on untreated components, see the GM bulletin I copied above.

I own a 2013 Camaro 2SS and mine looks exactly the same. It's unfortunate but a reality that untreated, bare, scuffed and scratched metal will rust and as bad it may look it there is not a lot you can do to prevent it. Sorry.

Paul
Really

Being a mechanic for nearly 40 yrs. I have no use for cars rusted beyond service. Some of those parts can’t even be serviced without a torch. What if he wants an alignment, the tie rods would have to be replaced. I have worked on Camaros since 2010 and never seen anything like this in FL. Removing front or rear sub frame what do you do when one of the blind bolts break off in the body. I would never accept a new car that can’t be serviced.

When I got a full refund on my first new GTO, I was lucky, I have a lift and put the car on within a few days so since it still had under 500 miles they just sold it as new to someone else.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:28 PM   #65
95birdible

Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro Convertible
I just crawled under my 2012 1SS with 14K on it. Delivered 4/17/12 and only driven during May through October. Never seen rain, snow, salt, or nothing. Underside looks like it is still brand new. I would lawyer up and find out what the hell happened.
"Green Flash"
95birdible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:39 PM   #66
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Quote:
Originally Posted by serows1 View Post
Really?!?

Paul
On a new car coated surfaces should not be scuffed or scratched or otherwise have any kind of corrosion on them.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:02 PM   #67
TrekGTO

This picture told me the condition of this car, that is not surface rust. I don’t understand how anything could rust that bad in a year sitting unless it was a flood car.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:10 PM   #68
Highland Ranger

Drives: 2014 CRT Convertible ZL1
Res isn't high enough but threads look gone. If so not right.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Highland Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:42 AM   #69
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrekGTO View Post
This picture told me the condition of this car, that is not surface rust. I don’t understand how anything could rust that bad in a year sitting unless it was a flood car.

My Camaro will be 5 years old in a few months and that exact bolt has no rust on it.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:18 AM   #70
mycamaro2011

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Victory Red
rust

Same here my Camaro is a 2010 and sat on dealer lot for about 1yr. and no rust except on brake rotors. I have 52,000 miles thru New England rain and snow. Up here they use highly corrosive liquid for deicing the roads and my underneath has a few spots here and there but nothing like the op car..

i would bring it to a non chevy shop and take extensive pics and closeup of rusted bolt threads. Then have shop write up extensive rust damage.

call main hqd escalated then if no replacement go to arbitration.

no way this should be rusted like that. those rusted bolts should be pretty pita when you need to take them off if they dont snap...

not sure you guys have a lemon law down there?

or better yet maybe open a NHSTB safety case because i think at some point in time those rusted bolts could fail causing a crash...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL SS View Post
My Camaro will be 5 years old in a few months and that exact bolt has no rust on it.
mycamaro2011 is offline   Reply With Quote