Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 01-19-2014, 01:22 AM   #1
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
CEL light after mods that shouldn't result in it... please help.

Yesterday I did the following things to my engine and around an hour ago when I went to pick up my girlfriend from work, I got a CEL that isn't going away. Here is what I did that afternoon:

- Uninstalled and replaced the stock idler pulley w/ a billet aluminum one

- Uninstalled and replaced the stock tensioner pulley w/ a billet aluminum one

- The center bolt on the large pulley above the crank pulley along w/ the center bolt on the power steering pulley had surface rust so I gave them a coat of POR-15 to freshen up the look.

And that's all I did.

I had to remove the intake to get access to the idler pulley. The only thing I can think of that I might have done wrong is that after I installed the two pulleys, I started up the car (didn't drive it or rev it - just started it up) without the intake to see if the pulleys were alright and if the belt was taut, and everything seemed fine. I shut off the car, reinstalled the intake, plugged back in the main harness along w/ that tube on the left side of it and went about my business.

Start up the car 6-7 hours later to pick her up and bam, CEL. Interestingly, right when I started the car, the DIC flashed "Service Stabilitrak" for a second but I haven't seen it since. Now it's just the CEL.

What's wrong here? I'm pretty sure the pulleys were installed correctly because the serpentine looks fine and all the components therein are working. It has to be the intake, but what could I have done? The car isn't idling rough and I don't hear or feel any misfires...

Please help.
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:58 AM   #2
19victoryred63

Drives: 2013 camaro 2lt r/s
pull the codes....need more info
clear codes and see if they stay gone .....
you started car without intake on ....sure it will throw a code
19victoryred63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:15 AM   #3
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19victoryred63 View Post
pull the codes....need more info
clear codes and see if they stay gone .....
you started car without intake on ....sure it will throw a code
This something only a dealer can do?
Old 01-19-2014, 10:20 AM   #4
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by nUcLeArEnVoY View Post
This something only a dealer can do?
Yes, and On Star probably can too if it's active. Advance Auto, Auto Zone and O'Rielly's should be able to also.

I'm thinking the codes probably came from you running the car while you had the intake off, the code set and you probably just didn't notice the light. Did you happen to shut the car off by reaching in the window?

Go a head and get the codes pulled though. Probably going to all be MAF and IAT related though.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:19 AM   #5
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMickey View Post
Yes, and On Star probably can too if it's active. Advance Auto, Auto Zone and O'Rielly's should be able to also.

I'm thinking the codes probably came from you running the car while you had the intake off, the code set and you probably just didn't notice the light. Did you happen to shut the car off by reaching in the window?

Go a head and get the codes pulled though. Probably going to all be MAF and IAT related though.
You might be right. I didn't really pay any attention to the gauges when I started the car up without the intake on. And no, I sat inside when I started it up but got out as soon as it started. (When it started up without the intake, it kind of lagged a bit on the idle at first but then was fine a few seconds later). As for shutting the car off, I can't remember... I may have done so by just reaching in the window like you said.

I only had the car running for about 30 seconds to check the pulleys, I don't see why the CEL would be indicating any genuine damage.

I'll bring it somewhere and see if they can pull the codes and/or clear them if nothing bad is happening.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:22 PM   #6
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Alright, so I disconnected the intake wiring harness and then plugged it back in. Started the car, CEL is gone. Thanks, guys.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:23 PM   #7
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
Quote:
I don't see why the CEL would be indicating any genuine damage.
It's not really indicating damage. When you had the intake off, you had the MAF/IAT sensor unplugged. Since this is a constantly monitored sensor and the ECU didn't get any feedback from it with the engine running, the only thing it could do is decide there's a problem in the circuit and throw a code and set the CEL.

Quote:
Alright, so I disconnected the intake wiring harness and then plugged it back in. Started the car, CEL is gone. Thanks, guys.
Glad you got it fixed. The codes should still be in the history unless you disconnected the battery. You could still pull them for your information if you want.