Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 11-16-2010, 06:28 PM   #1
Z_Rocks

Drives: everyone crazy...
Z/28 Exhaust v.s. SS Exhaust

Do you think GM will use the same exhaust/muffler from the SS on the Z/28 or will it be 3" and better flowing system?

Does anyone know what they use on the new CTS-V coupe? I bet, it will be the same or better.
Z_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:31 PM   #2
WiccaJew

Drives: Black & Blue 1SS
Quad tip i think im not sure about the measurements of the pipe

ARH 1 7/8 headers, ARH 3" XPIPE, MBRP 3" Catback
WiccaJew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:54 PM   #3
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
From the looks of it, it looks like the mufflers are more traditionally shaped in addition to what we can easily see in terms of the new tip configuration. I'm sure diameter will increase to anywhere from 2.75 - 3.00-inches.

No one knows for sure yet :(

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:02 PM   #4
Z_Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
From the looks of it, it looks like the mufflers are more traditionally shaped in addition to what we can easily see in terms of the new tip configuration. I'm sure diameter will increase to anywhere from 2.75 - 3.00-inches.

No one knows for sure yet :(
Hey Radz, thanks!
I'm pretty certain in will be the same as CTS-V. In the recent videos when the Z28 was following the CTS, they both sounded identical. So, we can find out about CTS-V, we know about the Z. But I hope it's more than 2.5 diameter. and better flow CATS.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:04 PM   #5
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
I hope GM does not use those hideous mufflers they gave all of us on our SS's, I was never so happy as I was day I had my Corsa installed at Jannetty Racing.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:24 AM   #6
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
It will be different, most likely a bit louder and freer flowing. How much is anyones guess.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 05:43 AM   #7
garfin
Resident Disciple

Drives: 2010 CTS-V 6MN '98 Camaro SS (Sold)
The CTS-V exhaust is actually pretty quiet - especially given the power level of the car.
I just can't imagine that the Z/28 would have the same exhaust setup as the SS. I'm sure it would be noticeably louder...

Best regards,

Elie
Old 11-17-2010, 07:16 AM   #8
SQUALO

Drives: CHEVROLET
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
It will be different, most likely a bit louder and freer flowing. How much is anyones guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by garfin View Post
The CTS-V exhaust is actually pretty quiet - especially given the power level of the car.
I just can't imagine that the Z/28 would have the same exhaust setup as the SS. I'm sure it would be noticeably louder...

Best regards,

Elie
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SSRS View Post
I hope GM does not use those hideous mufflers they gave all of us on our SS's, I was never so happy as I was day I had my Corsa installed at Jannetty Racing.
the nameplate it deserves better!
Old 11-17-2010, 08:00 AM   #9
Shurenuff

Drives: 2002 Nissan Altima
It should also be one of the areas where they save weight over the SS. The SS cans are heavy and huge.
Shurenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 09:29 AM   #10
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_Rocks View Post
Hey Radz, thanks!
I'm pretty certain in will be the same as CTS-V. In the recent videos when the Z28 was following the CTS, they both sounded identical. So, we can find out about CTS-V, we know about the Z. But I hope it's more than 2.5 diameter. and better flow CATS.
Maybe I just haven't heard good enough videos of CTS-Vs, but I thought Z28 was louder; it was certainly popping a lot off the throttle. Regardless, like Elie says below, I know V's exhaust is pretty quiet, much from what I've read in reviews and comparisons. That's why I'm thinking we're getting less restriction, louder, and free-er-flowing exhaust. I don't have any proof, but do hope we get a better cat' design

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfin View Post

Best regards,

Elie
I know that if it is a dual-mode, and controllable much like the 'Vette versions, and is close to 3-inches, I'll be saving a little money on a CB or even a AB. It doesn't sound great to me, but it's certainly better that stock, and if there's a power gain to be had, that will be my biggest motivator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shurenuff View Post
It should also be one of the areas where they save weight over the SS. The SS cans are heavy and huge.
I think I remember Pedders saying they helped with air flow, too, hence their shape; I don't recall for sure though Regardless - I'm happy with most any way reasonable for GM to control the weight and minimize it

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 11-17-2010, 09:41 AM   #11
Z_Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
Regardless - I'm happy with most any way reasonable for GM to control the weight and minimize it
Yes, weight is another factor with the stock exhaust system. I really hope for the Z, they use lighter material and better free flow. Honestly, when you spend over $50K for a car like this, you shouldn't have to spend more money for exhaust, CAI and etc. upgrades.

Speaking of CAI, I'm pretty sure we have to change the stock exhaust to a CAI, but if we do, I'm sure we have to retune it, otherwise you get errors from the MAF sensor.

Hey Radz, are you planning to get a Z? If I'd like to hear your reasoning. Not that I need to be convinced, but I like to see if I'm on the page.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:51 PM   #12
Dan@showstopper

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Look for dual mode on the Z28 and perhaps a titanuim exhaust like the C5 Z06 to save weight.
Dan@showstopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 01:53 PM   #13
Z_Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan@showstopper View Post
Look for dual mode on the Z28 and perhaps a titanuim exhaust like the C5 Z06 to save weight.
That's the ticket!
Old 11-18-2010, 12:12 PM   #14
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_Rocks View Post
Yes, weight is another factor with the stock exhaust system. I really hope for the Z, they use lighter material and better free flow. Honestly, when you spend over $50K for a car like this, you shouldn't have to spend more money for exhaust, CAI and etc. upgrades.

Speaking of CAI, I'm pretty sure we have to change the stock exhaust to a CAI, but if we do, I'm sure we have to retune it, otherwise you get errors from the MAF sensor.

Hey Radz, are you planning to get a Z? If I'd like to hear your reasoning. Not that I need to be convinced, but I like to see if I'm on the page.
To be quick: I hope I can I've just be a Z28 fan from the beginning, and it just has more meaning, to me. It was the first car I bought, too. Aside from that, the more obvious are what upgrades to the powertrain, chassis, and appearance that appeals to me.

It'd be pretty cool to see some Ti come back to exhaust, like C5 Zs had. I doubt it, but if we get good sized tubes, good flowing mufflers, and even better - the dual mode valves, I'll be reconsidering any CB or AB purchase. I think there are better sounding exhausts out there, however, if the performance doesn't really match up to the price for those systems, then I'll definately be thinking twice. I've definately got other power-enhancing ideas in mind that I know will make more power with no side-effects except for tire smoke

I believe GM did a great job on SS exhaust, and deliberately tuned it for the ears, so I have no reason to think they won't make similar investments for Z28.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"