Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 09-14-2014, 06:25 PM   #1
xinfamousxi

Drives: Camaro 1SS 1LE
Oil change question

This is my first brand new car and in the past I have always taken my clunker to a JiffyLube to get oil changes. I want to start doing oil changes on my own and have been watching lots of videos online. The biggest advantage I can see of doing your own oil change is that you use good oil for half of the price I was paying. With so many options though how do you know which one to choose? I have free oil changes with dealer for 2 years should I just let them do it?

2014 1LT V6
xinfamousxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:19 AM   #2
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
DIY or dealer, never JiffyLube!

My wife has a 2014 Chevy that came with free oil changes, and I am letting the dealer do it.

But I have some experience with this particular dealer, including a teardown of my L99 to upgrade the lifters. Still, I do the Camaro oil changes myself, just for fun and to get the occasional look under the car.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 03:58 PM   #3
ActNup NY

Drives: 2011 1LT Black Camaro
If you got 2 years free why not. Just might wanna keep a close eye on the stealers. Lol !! Or you can do it yourself it'll give you a great sense of pride especially if your watching all those DIY videos. I'm sure you wanna exercise what you've been viewing. Do it !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-21-2014, 07:42 PM   #4
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
I do DIY on all my vehicles but I am taking advantage of the included (they are most definitely NOT FREE) oil changes because they represent $165 in parts not to mention your time. I get them done early and use them to flush most of the break-in contaminants. After the four dealer OCs, I'll start DIYing with a brand name syn and Wix oil filters. After my first DIY, I will run the OLM down to 0% and lab test the oil to see what the OLM leaves me. Then, I will know exactly what I've got in my engine and adjust accordingly.

Last edited by Indydriver; 09-28-2014 at 02:40 PM.
Indydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 02:20 PM   #5
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Take advantage of the 2 years buddy.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS, Circle D 3200, ADM Transmission Cooler, BTR Valvetrain, Cam Motion .621 .595 228/244 113+4, ARH 1 7/8 full exhaust, Cold Air Inductions, Katech C5R TC, Melling HV, BTR SLR lifters, Trunion Upgrade, LS2 Dampner, LS9 head gaskets, Bo White PTB, MM can, GFX, Subs, B&M Deep transmission pan,
Holley fuel rail, Proform valve covers, relocated coil packs
rberns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:32 AM   #6
CRF8
Scenic City Camaro

Drives: 2022 Camaro ZL-1 /1974 Firebird 400
In order to get my "free" oil changes I must have oil life at 15%. I do not reset the oil life when getting a jiffy lube at 50%. That way i get my free one sooner, but I don't go too long without a change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk