Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-01-2013, 09:49 AM   #295
TPAJETSKI

Drives: Camaro
Wait....you have a Blackberry???
TPAJETSKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:16 AM   #296
Fiveg56

Drives: -
@fbodfather: when do we get to see the LS/LT refresh?
Fiveg56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:23 AM   #297
Flashpoint135

Drives: 2016 SS
OK, sorry if this is already somewhere else in this huge thread, but someone please help me with the Z28 vs. Z/28 thing ----

The slash, Z/28, was only used on the name plates for some of the first gen Camaros with the z28 option. The slash Z/28 was not used in the order paperwork or anywhere else, and not on any other versions of the Z28 after the 1st gen's (until now with the 2014) is that correct?
Old 04-01-2013, 10:27 AM   #298
f5journal
Senior Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2011 SS/RS manual - White
Thank you for the great post Fbod.

I actually had to take a break from this site last Thursday until now because of all the bickering and misunderstandings going on regarding the 2014 SS and the Z/28.

As a multiple first gen Z/28 owner, during the first and second generation period, I commend you and your disciples.
Former '68 and '69 Z/28 Owner...........Now sporting around in a 2011 RS/SS with........Kooks LT's and cats, JRE tune, CAI, scoop, ZL1 Bumper conversion, custom ZL-1 grille, halo harness, Painted silver stripes, GM GFX, black painted lower edge of skirts and rear bumper. MGW shifter.....and now a 3.91 1LE diff
f5journal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:54 AM   #299
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPAJETSKI View Post
Wait....you have a Blackberry???

Yup - prefer it to other choices.

I like the 'real' keypad....

(...altho the new B/berry I have seems to be possessed........)

I just took delivery of an XTS which, when you buy an XTS, comes with an iPad................Cadillac branding and all - a very nice touch.....

Gotta learn all there is to know about C.U.E......

.........guess I gotta get busy and learn all about that, huh???
Old 04-01-2013, 10:54 AM   #300
SQUALO

Drives: CHEVROLET
MY OPINION: Everyone is entitled to have one, whether you agree or not!

PERFORMANCE:

DESIGN:
Old 04-01-2013, 11:01 AM   #301
steel insane

Drives: 2012 2LT Black (Vengeance)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQUALO View Post
MY OPINION: Everyone is entitled to have one, whether you agree or not!

PERFORMANCE:

DESIGN:
+1
steel insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:06 AM   #302

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
All this Z/28 petty arguing over tail-lights and other minor issues I see as unfortunate...What most are missing is the "bigger picture" of the future of our beloved Camaros...

...Anybody notice...Retro is not dead? V-8s are more powerful? The modern Muscle Car Wars are still alive and well?....The factory is reducing weight on these cars?...
....Creature comforts that practically drive the car for you do not rule the day here?

....That whole refresh car-show was based on a performance theme...and Chevy being a race-day winner...

....Throw it all away and lobby for pedestrian, cheap, badged up Camaros if you want, the future of the Camaro is in great hands...and thankfully not in the hands of knee-jerk reactions to a few irrelevant visual features...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:17 AM   #303
detroitjohnny

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 and many more
I just want the 2014 Recaro's for my 2011 SS.
detroitjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:27 AM   #304
camaro_RS
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: A lot of show, not much go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
All this Z/28 petty arguing over tail-lights and other minor issues I see as unfortunate...What most are missing is the "bigger picture" of the future of our beloved Camaros...

...Anybody notice...Retro is not dead? V-8s are more powerful? The modern Muscle Car Wars are still alive and well?....The factory is reducing weight on these cars?...
....Creature comforts that practically drive the car for you do not rule the day here?

....That whole refresh car-show was based on a performance theme...and Chevy being a race-day winner...

....Throw it all away and lobby for pedestrian, cheap, badged up Camaros if you want, the future of the Camaro is in great hands...and thankfully not in the hands of knee-jerk reactions to a few irrelevant visual features...

Well said.

camaro_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:34 AM   #305
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
For those that "just want an LS7" in a Camaro... why? That's a $15k mod as a crate engine; plus all the labor and other things you have to modify to install it. If all you want is 500 hp, that's relatively easy (and MUCH cheaper) to achieve with the current LS3. Just get a 1LE, mod the engine to 500 hp and you'll have the same performance hp-wise of an LS7. The only difference is the LS7 can redline at 7k instead of 6.5k but is that really worth an extra $10k?

500 hp at the crank is going to translate into about 435 to the rear wheels. There's about a 13% loss of hp due to various resistances of everything between the engine and the rear wheels on a stock factory car. A stock SS with an LS3 rated at 426 hp is showing about 370 to the rear wheels, so you'd be gaining about 65 hp. Which is fun. If that's all you want, you can get that by spending less than a third of what an LS7 will cost. That would place a modded 1LE somewhere between $40k-50k which appears to be the price range a lot of people want for the new Z/28 (which isn't going to happen).

The wheels and tires alone on the new Z/28 probably cost twice what it would cost to mod an LS3 to 500 hp. The new Z/28 is designed to be raced on a track, it's not designed for daily driving or toodling around town. Every other model Camaro is designed for that.

The only reason anybody wants/wanted a Z/28 was because it won the Trans Am in the hands of the Mark Donohue/Roger Penske racing team. If it had gotten regularly beaten by Mustangs and everything else on the track would people have wanted to buy and drive a car with Z/28 on the side? Not likely.

Mark Stielow and team have designed this new Z/28 to be a championship-winning car, and that's what it's going to do. I don't care for the plain design of the backend but that's a minor cosmetic issue. Performance-wise this car absolutely rocks and I can't wait to see it winning races on the track.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:45 AM   #306
INTENSS

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
For those that "just want an LS7" in a Camaro... why? That's a $15k mod as a crate engine; plus all the labor and other things you have to modify to install it. If all you want is 500 hp, that's relatively easy (and MUCH cheaper) to achieve with the current LS3. Just get a 1LE, mod the engine to 500 hp and you'll have the same performance hp-wise of an LS7. The only difference is the LS7 can redline at 7k instead of 6.5k but is that really worth an extra $10k?
Now do that without voiding the warranty. That's right, not possible. I believe there is a decently sized collection of enthusiasts that would like a $45k 500hp LS7 Camaro and I don't believe the Z/28 will be fitting that bill.

2017 Camaro ZL1
2002 Camaro SS 35th LE - Sold
1987 Monte Carlo SS
INTENSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:50 AM   #307
TSSUNAMI
It was ninety nine cents!

Drives: 2014 Jeep Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post

500 hp at the crank is going to translate into about 435 to the rear wheels. There's about a 13% loss of hp due to various resistances of everything between the engine and the rear wheels on a stock factory car. A stock SS with an LS3 rated at 426 hp is showing about 370 to the rear wheels, so you'd be gaining about 65 hp. Which is fun. If that's all you want, you can get that by spending less than a third of what an LS7 will cost. That would place a modded 1LE somewhere between $40k-50k which appears to be the price range a lot of people want for the new Z/28 (which isn't going to happen).

The wheels and tires alone on the new Z/28 probably cost twice what it would cost to mod an LS3 to 500 hp. The new Z/28 is designed to be raced on a track, it's not designed for daily driving or toodling around town. Every other model Camaro is designed for that.

The only reason anybody wants/wanted a Z/28 was because it won the Trans Am in the hands of the Mark Donohue/Roger Penske racing team. If it had gotten regularly beaten by Mustangs and everything else on the track would people have wanted to buy and drive a car with Z/28 on the side? Not likely.

Mark Stielow and team have designed this new Z/28 to be a championship-winning car, and that's what it's going to do. I don't care for the plain design of the backend but that's a minor cosmetic issue. Performance-wise this car absolutely rocks and I can't wait to see it winning races on the track.

^^ couldn't have said it better myself ^^

That being said.

If I had the means... I would still buy one. But since I'm living on planet reality I'll keep happily modding my SS.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:53 AM   #308
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Scott,
Its human nature, people are resistant to change.
Maybe the tails will grow on us.