Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 11:12 AM   #197
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
I could argue this both ways but here's the main point that I think of when I read this thread:

Does it really matter?
- X

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Old 05-10-2010, 11:20 AM   #198
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyCarlo View Post
Not sure where you're getting your ideas, Blackhawk, but 90% of V6 Camaro drivers DO care about HP and speed. You think we would've bought this car if it did 0-60 in 12 seconds? No way.
X2 at you Blackhawk,

Way back before the car was released, I was pretty much set on an SS because I wanted a fun car, then I started learning more about the V6 and found out I could have fun in the Camaro, without giving up on creature comforts that I'd like to have, and SAVE several thousand dollars because I didn't need to own an SS to have a very enjoyable ride.

These V6 pony cars today are making at or near V8 performance numbers of just a few years ago. If it wasn't for the extra weight of the zeta platform, they'd be running just a notch off of last years Mustang GT (just like the new mustang V6 is) and theres something to be said about that.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:21 AM   #199
KMPrenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthos View Post
I could argue this both ways but here's the main point that I think of when I read this thread:

Does it really matter?
- X
No
Old 05-10-2010, 11:23 AM   #200
Unfair
Banned

Drives: 2001 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
X2 at you Blackhawk,

Way back before the car was released, I was pretty much set on an SS because I wanted a fun car, then I started learning more about the V6 and found out I could have fun in the Camaro, without giving up on creature comforts that I'd like to have, and SAVE several thousand dollars because I didn't need to own an SS to have a very enjoyable ride.

These V6 pony cars today are making at or near V8 performance numbers of just a few years ago. If it wasn't for the extra weight of the zeta platform, they'd be running just a notch off of last years Mustang GT (just like the new mustang V6 is) and theres something to be said about that.
I think people are holding on to the "well the v6 has the performance of x car in the 80's" that doesn't mean it's a muscle car.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:29 AM   #201
KMPrenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unfair View Post
I think people are holding on to the "well the v6 has the performance of x car in the 80's" that doesn't mean it's a muscle car.
Bud, speaking for myself here, I'm not sayin it is or isn't a muscle car. All I'm saying is I enjoy the heck out of my car.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:37 AM   #202
marley.
OCD

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
I have a V6 and I bought it because of the HP and speed it puts out. I could care less about the label "musclecar". If you ask me the SS is not a musclecar either. Musclecars went away in the 70s. They are sports cars now and when it comes to the Camaro its a blast to drive whether its a V6 or a V8. They are both awesome cars.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:21 PM   #203
rays
V6 - It just isn't normal

Drives: 2010 2LT M6, F250 7.3L Diesel
There are many reasons I chose the car I did and none of them had anything to do with what anybody else thought. Enjoy your Camaro!

2LT RS M6 RJT Black leather
4/29/2009 Ordered
6/24 6000 Delivered
Old 05-10-2010, 10:50 PM   #204
texasyankee

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS
So, isn't the 6.2L a derivative of the small block in metric form? I thought you had to have a big block to be a "muscle car". Whatever, I don't really care what label anyone applies to my car. If someone wants to look down at me because I got the Camaro with "only" 312 HP, then I don't really care. What's it going to be next year, the guys who get the Z-28 looking down on the guys who "only" got the SS? Give me a break.

All I know is my 3.6L develops over 80HP/L. Absolutely phenomenal. If the 6.2L had that much it would be making over 500HP. Do you think the guy with the Porsche 911 feels bad because he only has a six cylinder? Get real. It doesn't matter how many cylinders there are, it's about how much power there is. Personally, I think the new Camaro is more like a sports car. I've driven plenty of muscle cars in my day and they were a lot of fun - in a straight line. Unfortunately, you have to turn eventually. One of the most impressive cars I ever drove was a Lotus Turbo Esprit back in the '80s. 0-60 in less than five second and topped out at over 185 (though I didn't test that out). And it was a frickin' 2.2L four cylinder.

It's the allegiance to the "muscle car", instead of looking to the future, that got GM in trouble in the first place. Today's world demands a well-balanced, powerful, vehicle that does it all. And for those of us who actually drive our Camaros every day (not be a garage queen that's afraid of some rain and dust), my 1LT/RS rocks. Real world driveability in a sweet looking package. Performance, looks, and fun all in an awesome machine.

What I'd really like to know is this: so what do all you guys who want to look down on my V6 drive while your SS is sitting in the garage all week? (I know there are a few of you who drive your SS every day, but not many of you.) I commute over 60 miles every day, and I always do it in my Camaro, rain or shine. I don't have to wait for the weekend to get my fix. I get it every day. Therapy on wheels.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:09 PM   #205
strauchpete
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT
Here is a link to the musclecarclub website it goes over what is considered a muscle car.
http://www.musclecarclub.com/musclec...finition.shtml

A muscle car, by the strictest definition, is an intermediate sized, performance oriented model, powered by a large V8 engine, at an affordable price. Most of these models were based on "regular" production vehicles. These vehicles are generally not considered muscle cars, even when equipped with large V8s. If there was a high performance version available, it gets the credit, and not the vehicle that it was based on.

Examples: Buick GS, Chevrolete Chevelle SS, Dodge Charger R/T, Ford Torino/Cobra, Plymouth GTX, Plymouth Road Runner, Oldsmobile 442, Pontiac GTO

I dont necessarily agree with this but if you want to me set on it that is the definition.
Personally any performance oriented car is a muscle car with a high horse power motor.

So I would call the V6 camaro a Modern Muscle, its not your traditional muscle car but by the def not really even the v8 camaro is one.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:57 PM   #206
Reeko

Drives: 69 Camaro RS Conv. 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasyankee View Post
What I'd really like to know is this: so what do all you guys who want to look down on my V6 drive while your SS is sitting in the garage all week? (I know there are a few of you who drive your SS every day, but not many of you.) I commute over 60 miles every day, and I always do it in my Camaro, rain or shine. I don't have to wait for the weekend to get my fix. I get it every day. Therapy on wheels.
So, what makes you think we don't drive our SS cars every day?
I would guess most of us do drive every day. I know I do.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:56 AM   #207
bbfn11
Beeliever!

Drives: 2010 2LT Coupe Automatic
I just want to add I don't care if my Camaro has the muscle or pony label. I bought my car for what it is. I have enjoyed it very much.

Also I want to add I have been enjoying this thread. I like reading the opinions, pro and con on this subject matter.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:29 PM   #208
heRS
Raised by Wolves

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
Here's Musclecarclub.coms take on it and I agree. Muscle car got used to define a lot of cars that aren't. While Camaro SS and Z28 are considered Muscle/Pony, the rest of us simply have the pony. This chart tells all.
http://musclecarclub.com/musclecars/...finition.shtml

Old 01-25-2011, 03:59 PM   #209
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
it's in the eye of the beholder, if they think it's a muscle car then who am I to argue?

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
Old 01-25-2011, 04:12 PM   #210
SSmoked

Drives: '12 Camaro ZL1 #1255
IMHO it looks like muscle car. however thats were it stops.

Closed Thread

Tags
muscle car, pain is game, rant, v6 muscle, v6 vs. world