Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 05-19-2011, 09:32 PM   #211
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
You don't think they can out-build the Ford?
Well of course they could but what would be the cost of that car? The Camaro has a stiffer chassis and the advantage of IRS. But weight is the Camaro's achilles heel. As has been noted here the Boss is heavier than the standard Mustang. This could also be the fate of the Z28. Chevy has to be careful to build a car at a price level people would actually buy that would slot in between the SS and the ZL-1. So big weight savings cannot be part of the plan.

Still, I am excited about the Z28 even if I do not buy one. I hope it results in a few upgrades I can add to my SS like the Boss has for the GT.

Both the Boss and Z28 are image cars. Neither is going to make any money for their respective companies. One interesting thing I see over on the Ford boards is the threads discussing the pros and cons of the Boss. A number of these threads sort of lean towards the idea that most people are better off with a GT rather than the Boss.

One conclusion you could make is that when it comes right down to it, many like the idea of a track car, most do not want to live with one. Ford was smart in building only a very limited number of Bosses. I am sure Chevy HiPo marketing is looking at this too and wondering if the Z28 is really such a good idea.

Another thing worries me. The Z28 is still a ways off and has not been officially announced. The Mustang GT sales are running out of gas. Are the Camaro sales slowing too? I thought so but I am not sure. The Mustang, Camaro, and Challenger are all so good. Have most people who wanted a muscle car bought one by now? If so, then will the Z28 be built?

Still, to paraphrase one of the recent Motor Trend covers:

"Forget the 60's, this is the golden age of Pony Car muscle"
Old 05-20-2011, 08:26 PM   #212
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Well of course they could but what would be the cost of that car? The Camaro has a stiffer chassis and the advantage of IRS. But weight is the Camaro's achilles heel.

True, if you have to pick a "weakness" of the 5thgen Camaro, it would be weight. But the 200 lb difference between Mustang and Camaro is easily overcome with some suspension tweaks. I think the 2012 SSs should prove that.

One conclusion you could make is that when it comes right down to it, many like the idea of a track car, most do not want to live with one. Ford was smart in building only a very limited number of Bosses. I am sure Chevy HiPo marketing is looking at this too and wondering if the Z28 is really such a good idea.
This is a serious point to consider. The Boss formula is not a daily-drive car. It's compromised comfort to achieve those impressive numbers. But...if you're a serious racer...you're likely going to want to build one yourself anyways. If Chevy decides to build a Z28 that reflects the Boss, I think it's going to be a conscious choice deemed affordable for them.

Another thing worries me. The Z28 is still a ways off and has not been officially announced. The Mustang GT sales are running out of gas. Are the Camaro sales slowing too?
No. Camaro sales are still very strong. And this is with minimal to no incentives.

I look forward to a Z28. I do!!There is much more to consider with a car like this, though. It's not an easy decision...especially since the ZL1 has been released and essentially "completed" the lineup.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:46 AM   #213
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
I woudnt say completed the line up. Why? The huge pricepoint gap for one. Also the competition is offering more. Those are two BIG reasons.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 09:49 AM   #214
Fightinfire921

Drives: GMC Acadia, Chevrolet Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to Fightinfire921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I look forward to a Z28. I do!!There is much more to consider with a car like this, though. It's not an easy decision...especially since the ZL1 has been released and essentially "completed" the lineup.
I wish I knew if the lineup was complete.
Fightinfire921 is offline   Reply With Quote