Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 04-14-2012, 04:18 PM   #393
Mjolnir
"Crusher"

Drives: Kawasaki Ninja 250r
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex70olds View Post
That was exzctly my point. I guess I should have worded it better. I never said it was meant to "dominate" track or strip. Not my words. It is very good at everything, including streetability. I am also not interested in being part of the argument, only relaying my opinion from one that not only has driven one, but owns one.
Ah ok, thats exactly what I was trying to get across too, I agree with you. Congrats on your car by the way, it's a gorgeous beast.
Mjolnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 04:21 PM   #394
alex70olds
~~*~~

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
Ah ok, thats exactly what I was trying to get across too, I agree with you. Congrats on your car by the way, it's a gorgeous beast.
Thank you, I got a bit of the flu or I would be out putting some "break in" miles down.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:24 PM   #395
SVT Murrocket
Banned

Drives: SHELBY GT 500
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Could be track conditions too. The only real way to compare would be to have a GT500 right there with it now. At those times a current model GT500 would run with it.
Not only run with it - The 2012 GT 500 would flat out beat it if these times are the norm in the real world.

Last edited by SVT Murrocket; 04-14-2012 at 06:49 PM.
SVT Murrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 04:26 PM   #396
kirks5oh

Drives: cts-v, z06, cobra, escalade, fox
Lol. My 4 door family car is faster, bone stock, with all 3 car seats in the back.

I'm all for the hp wars between ford and gm. I was a die hard mustang guy, until they went retro in 2005. My last 3 cars have been gm's. I think I can safely cross a zl1 off my list of cars to buy. Hopefully, this car was just an anomaly. I still think gm should have made stock boost 10psi.
kirks5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 04:31 PM   #397
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirks5oh View Post
I think I can safely cross a zl1 off my list of cars to buy.
I think that is a great idea. We wouldn't want the ZL1 to get a bad name.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 04:41 PM   #398
Mjolnir
"Crusher"

Drives: Kawasaki Ninja 250r
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex70olds View Post
Thank you, I got a bit of the flu or I would be out putting some "break in" miles down.
Feel better soon pal, that Z is calling
Mjolnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 04:43 PM   #399
alex70olds
~~*~~

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
Feel better soon pal, that Z is calling
Lol so funny. After I posted that, I said the hell with it. Going out for a cruise now. What better way to feel better. Thanks for the kind words.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:44 PM   #400
OLD_GOAT
2016 Challenger Hellcat

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modern07 View Post
Are you trying to tell me that the main focus for the GM design team on the ZL1 project was to build a car for the drag strip?

Because it wasn't, and everybody knows that, but of course if it doesn't suit the agenda then little details like the Nuburgring lap time will be conveniently ignored.

If I wanted a car to use at the drag strip then I absolutely would NOT be buying the ZL1, but that's because I actually understand what the purpose of this car is.

Unfortunately it seems that many people, including yourself, have missed the point.

That's a real shame.
You seem to talk a good game, but you really don't.

That's a real shame.

I proved to you by linking the video that the quarter mile times were a part of the ZL1 package, design, and planning. Denial is not a river in Egypt.

Also, this Nürburgring time gives me a good grin. There will be many more who will take the car to the local strip versus flying the car over to Germany. What, about <1% will run the 'ring? I will also guarantee you the amount of people taking their cars to the track will be far greater than those taking it to a local road course.

What is going to be so funny is guys like yourself (maybe not you) who claim yesterday and today that this is not a strip car, yet (for example) Motor Trend runs a 12.0 in it, then the naysayers who stated that the car was not for the strip, will come out stating different.

Where you don't get it, this guy does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndCamaro79 View Post
I think he is just trying to say it was A focus. The Camaro just does not have the pedigree (yet) to be marketed as a pure track car. GM knows that and being good at the drag strip is as or is more important than at the track.
Let it also be known that I'm all for the new ZL1 and I want it to succeed in all areas of being the great car it can be, however I'm not such a fanboy that I'm totally blind about the car. The car will have some strong areas, and some areas it won't be as good as most of us think it should be.

...............at the end of the day, it's just a car. Whether it is a great, very good, or good car will be determined in the next couple of years.
2009 Corvette Coupe.....2005 Pontiac GTO
1995 Camaro.....1989 Mustang GT
1987 Mustang GT.....1985 Camaro
1976 455 Trans-Am.....1973 Mustang Mach 1
OLD_GOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:09 PM   #401
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
I was mentioned that the pass might have all the nannies on. I would hope they'd put it into the right mode for this pass. but until they can answer that question we won't know.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:19 PM   #402
Ron66Vette&10SS
Plays with Hot Wheels

Drives: '17 Jet Black ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
Did you even look at the charts for the LPE. it maxed at 13. for one

two look at where this information is coming from on this thread. you are over exaggerating the situation. look at the dyno sheet. this is also one car, on an unknown track prep (if prepped at all), with no temps or DA. and why wouldn't a tuner want to show a slow time for base line and a BA time for their mods? sorry. not feeling your hate right now.
About the only thing I can agree with you is that this is just "one car". I have stated this myself in every one of the posts I have made when speaking about the Hennesy published 1/4 mile times. I agree that we don't know for sure if (or how) the track was prepped. Otherwise, I disagree with every one of your other points.

-Yes, I did look at the charts for the Lingenfelter. My question to you is: Did you look at the "right" one? The uppermost dyno chart (the one that says "drag strip configuration, VP109 fuel, 2.38" pulley...race fuel calibration") shows boost mostly just under 13psi and peaks to 15psi @ 6,250rpms.

-They gave a temp of 79*f and a calculated DA of 1690.

-You are mistaken.....I have absolutely NO HATE at all for the ZL1. In fact, I was a ZL1 "fan-boy" way back when it was just a rumor that a supercharged Camaro was in the works. But I am extremely dissapointed in the apparent stock 1/4 mile performance....enough to where I'm considering "all other options" for my next car.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:24 PM   #403
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron66Vette&10SS View Post
About the only thing I can agree with you is that this is just "one car". I have stated this myself in every one of the posts I have made when speaking about the Hennesy published 1/4 mile times. I agree that we don't know for sure if (or how) the track was prepped. Otherwise, I disagree with every one of your other points.

-Yes, I did look at the charts for the Lingenfelter. My question to you is: Did you look at the "right" one? The uppermost dyno chart (the one that says "drag strip configuration, VP109 fuel, 2.38" pulley...race fuel calibration") shows boost mostly just under 13psi and peaks to 15psi @ 6,250rpms.

-They gave a temp of 79*f and a calculated DA of 1690.

-You are mistaken.....I have absolutely NO HATE at all for the ZL1. In fact, I was a ZL1 "fan-boy" way back when it was just a rumor that a supercharged Camaro was in the works. But I am extremely dissapointed in the apparent stock 1/4 mile performance....enough to where I'm considering "all other options" for my next car.
I may be mistaken. I am human. I'll look again.

I am sorry you are thinking of another vehicle because of one posted time. The dyno on the HPE car doesn't look right to me, and several others. I do expect them to get better times if they re-run the car. especially if the car gets broken in. but we will see.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:26 PM   #404
OLD_GOAT
2016 Challenger Hellcat

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat
Quote:
I am sorry you are thinking of another vehicle because of one posted time.
I fully agree. We are way early in the game. Give it some time because there are far more results to come.
2009 Corvette Coupe.....2005 Pontiac GTO
1995 Camaro.....1989 Mustang GT
1987 Mustang GT.....1985 Camaro
1976 455 Trans-Am.....1973 Mustang Mach 1
OLD_GOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:35 PM   #405
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

ok went back and looked. I think it's because he was adding stuff to the post as I was looking earlier. or the internet here where I'm at sucks and didn't loaded all the graphs. either way i was wrong. sorry.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:57 PM   #406
Ron66Vette&10SS
Plays with Hot Wheels

Drives: '17 Jet Black ZL1
Quote:
I am sorry you are thinking of another vehicle because of one posted time. The dyno on the HPE car doesn't look right to me, and several others. I do expect them to get better times if they re-run the car. especially if the car gets broken in. but we will see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD_GOAT View Post
I fully agree. We are way early in the game. Give it some time because there are far more results to come.
It's not just the "one posted time" of the Hennesy car that made me consider going back to a Corvette or buying a non GM vehicle (GT500 ) for the first time in my life. It's the fact that I was expecting/hoping for a ZL1 that would break into the 11's stock, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. In fact, IF Hennesy didn't intentionally "sandbag" their runs, it looks like we MIGHT (key word: "might") have a mid 12 second car on our hands. If that in fact proves to be the case, a ZL1 won't be in my near future.

Like you guys said though, we'll just have to wait and see what happens when more of these things start showing up at the track.

Tags
700hp z28 strip car, zl1 track car