Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 10-25-2010, 04:38 PM   #1
2SS BUMBLBE

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS/L99
Smile 2SS BUMBLBE's Journal

I am writing this journal so there is a record of my Camaro, especially for my kids.

The Beginning.

I have only owned three cars in my life. I began with a utilitarian 1986 Honda Accord: reliable, safe, point A to point B transportation, but not exciting or fun. I bought that used in 1990 with some help from my Dad, and kept it for almost 10 years. My second vehicle was a 2000 Toyota Tundra Limited, purchased at the end of 1999. It was shiny, new, reliable, safe, comfortable, and a little fun.

While in Iraq in 2008, I began to get the itch for a new truck...not a big itch, just a little one. So Mary, my wife, said, "Why don't you buy a new truck?" I felt a bit greedy; I mean, the Accord was 13 when I sold it, and the Tundra was not yet 10. So I said, "Well, the truck is paid for, it runs, and even if I have a $2000 repair on it, that is less than a year's worth of new car payments."

I forget how good Mary's memory is....

So in 2009, I got that itch again, so this time I said, "Why don't I get a new truck?"

Mary said, "Well your truck is paid for, it runs, and even if you have a $2000 repair on it, that is less than a year's worth of new car payments."

Where the heck had I heard something like that before? I thought.

Then in the winter of 2010, after being in a school away from home, with a buddy who drove a 2009 Toyota Tundra Limited, I came home and said, "Why don't I get a new truck?"

She asked, "does the truck run?"
"Yes."
"Is it paid for?"
"Yes."
"So why would you need to get a new truck?" she asked.
"Uhmm..." I said. Damn, I swear I have heard that before....

"Why don't you go get a new Camaro?"
"Who are you and what have you done with my wife?" I asked. "But you can stay!"

So I immediately began researching the 2010 Camaro, prices, reviews, and dealerships. My wife looked over my shoulder as we "built" the car on the Chevy web site. She said she really like the Rally Yellow color, and I agreed. I decided that I would regret not getting the 2SS version, and she agreed. She thought it would be cool if Chevy had a Transformer edition of the yellow 2010, and lo and behold, they did! Of course, that made it harder to locate.

The next day, I went to the local dealer and walked the lot. A saleswoman approached and gave me the pitch. She also pointed out the three SLPs that were just delivered, one white, one black, and one IOM. I drooled, but did not want to pay the extra cost without a supercharger.

We took an 2SS IOM with white rally stripes for a test drive. We drove straight to my house, and I watched the kids while my wife took her turn behind the wheel. She was sold. I was sold. I jumped onto the USAA site for a quote, then the Chevy military sales site. Next was finding the Transformer Edition.

I found the vehicle at a dealership in Kentucky and Corlew did a dealer swap with them. This was the only Transformer Edition that I could find within a reasonable distance.

I purchased the 2010 Transformer Edition Camaro in April of 2010 from Corlew Chevrolet in Clarksville, TN.

The end of the Beginning.

Mods List

Cosmetics
  • Ghost Armor DIC, gauges, 4-pack gauges, radio race, front lights, rear lights, door handle wells, trunk loading bay www.ghost-armor.com
  • Candy red powder coated Brembo calipers www.thepowdercoater.com
  • SLP heritage “SS” badges, front/rear www.slponline.com
  • SLP 3-piece trunk black outs www.slponline.com
  • Lloyd’s Mats front/rear and trunk www.carid.com
  • Billet oil cap with Autobot logo www.ebay.com // www.amazon.com
  • Evilkid Bee-Otch air freshener www.amazon.com
  • White LED dome light
  • White LED trunk light
  • White LED license plate light
  • DRL kit (awaiting install) fieldgoal00
  • Painted rally stripes
  • Painted deck lid blackout stripe
  • Grey Transformer hood decals

Audio

Suspension
  • Pfadt Coil-overs www.pfadtracing.com
  • Pfadt Trailing arms
  • Pfadt Solid sub-frame bushings
  • Pfadt Engine mounts (DELETED)
  • Pfadt Street differential mounts
  • Pfadt Rear lower control arm bushings
  • Pfadt Rear tie rod (fixed)
  • Pfadt Rear upper control arm bushing kit
  • Pfadt Front lower control arm bushings
  • Pfadt Front trailing arm bushing (awaiting install)
  • MTI solid front and rear sway bars www.mtiracing.com

Drive / Engine

Braking
  • MTI Braided steel brake lines

-
Attached Images

Last edited by 2SS BUMBLBE; 06-27-2013 at 08:21 AM. Reason: ***Updated Mods List***
2SS BUMBLBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 06:18 PM   #2
2SS BUMBLBE

So, what is that disease called that Camaro owners get once they have their Camaro? You know the one that makes you want to go out to the garage before you go to bed and look one last time. To press the key fob when the car is in the dark garage to hear that chirp and see the halos. To hate rainy days, because you just washed It and now you have to drive the truck. To want to do something to your car...just a little tweak...a subwoofer...some Dynamat...suspension upgrade...a blower. I do not know what it is called, but I have it.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:20 PM   #3
Mojave
San Diego Head Tuners

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS ,NPP,MagRide, A8
Great picture ! Corvette museum is lots of fun
https://www.youtube.com/c/MojaveKY
https://www.instagram.com/mojaveky/
https://twitter.com/MojaveKY
http://dinowax.refr.cc/bryanm 15% off DinoWax orders
Mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 06:25 PM   #4
2SS BUMBLBE

I drove the Camaro to work on every day there was sun. I only regretted that twice. Once when I misjudged the parking lot pig (Turtarrier) and curbed the 'bee's fascia. And the second time when it hailed on the way home and all I could do was grimace and growl that every overhead cover at every gas station was full of cars huddled like commuters waiting on a late train in a rainstorm.

Update: oh yeah, I always combat park in a lot that has the pigs now...

Last edited by 2SS BUMBLBE; 12-21-2010 at 02:56 AM.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:27 PM   #5
2SS BUMBLBE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
Great picture ! Corvette museum is lots of fun
Thanks, Mojave! Though I still have not been; the wife and kids went with friends of ours (the yellow Grand Sport, next to the 'bee). I was stuck in the sand box.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:34 PM   #6
Mojave
San Diego Head Tuners

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS ,NPP,MagRide, A8
When you get a chance make sure to go. I also heard that they were building a track next to the museum and then go across the street to do a tour of the Corvette plant. The plant is really sweet. We ended up with a Vette in the garage after that tour.
https://www.youtube.com/c/MojaveKY
https://www.instagram.com/mojaveky/
https://twitter.com/MojaveKY
http://dinowax.refr.cc/bryanm 15% off DinoWax orders
Mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:44 PM   #7
Orange Krate
Not just any car!

Drives: Orange Krate DOB - 11/22/2010
Camaro Disease...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS BUMBLBE View Post
So, what is that disease called that Camaro owners get once they have their Camaro? You know the one that makes you want to go out to the garage before you go to bed and look one last time. To press the key fob when the car is in the dark garage to hear that chirp and see the halos. To hate rainy days, because you just washed It and now you have to drive the truck. To want to do something to your car...just a little tweak...a subwoofer...some Dynamat...suspension upgrade...a blower. I do not know what it is called, but I have it.
Hey Bumblbe it is kind of like that ancient Hawaiian disease..."lack-a-nookie". You have it and you can't get enough of it and you always want it and you will do or say anything to get it, the more you get it the more you want it. It is a vicious cycle that cannot be broken without either totalling the car or selling it. Camaro fever is not only highly contagious, it also causes people to smile uncontrollably...just because.

Simi Valley, CA
email: orangekrate2011@yahoo.com
Orange Krate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 04:40 PM   #8
2SS BUMBLBE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Krate View Post
Hey Bumblbe it is kind of like that ancient Hawaiian disease..."lack-a-nookie". You have it and you can't get enough of it and you always want it and you will do or say anything to get it, the more you get it the more you want it. It is a vicious cycle that cannot be broken without either totalling the car or selling it. Camaro fever is not only highly contagious, it also causes people to smile uncontrollably...just because.
Jim, I concur. I don't know how you could have handled going all those years sans Camaro, after owning one! Whew.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:04 PM   #9
2SS BUMBLBE

First Mod - April 2010

The first day I went to the dealer to check out the Camaros in person, they had just off loaded three SLPs from the carrier. I loved the hood, the heritage stripe and SS emblems, and the wheels. So I ordered the stripe and the SS emblems and the dealership said they would install those for free on delivery. They did not do a great job and tore the vinyl stripe, but were gracious about it and ordered an new set. The second attempt went on fine and off I drove. A couple of days later, I noticed that the center vinyl stripe had a few “chips” missing on the top edge. I contacted SLP and asked about warranty (7 years!). They were great, said take some pics and e-mail them and we will replace the stripe set. The replacement set came to the house and I decided no one cares for my car like I do, so I figured I could install them on my own. I was apprehensive since this was a project I have not attempted before. But it was pretty simple! I think I did a great job and have had no issues with the stripe…third time was the charm.

Even though the first two attempts were rough, I am pleased with the customer care at both my dealership (James Corlew) and SLP. They both owned up to the problems and did their part to make the customer happy.
Attached Images

Old 04-16-2011, 10:19 PM   #10
2SS BUMBLBE

Home Again!

Ok, back from Tour de Iraq VI! Not soon enough to make it to C5FII, but it is so good to be home with my wife and kids. I have been changing diapers and taking kids to soccer practice and trying to give my wife a much deserved break. I bought a spa day (via 'net) back in December, but she has been so busy, she has not used it yet; hopefully, she can go next weekend while I watch the kids. I am such a lucky man, two healthy kids and a hard-working, lovely wife. Thank you.

(photo from my promotion ceremony, 2011 04 07)
Attached Images

Old 04-16-2011, 10:21 PM   #11
2SS BUMBLBE

I finished installing the Ghost Armor kit for the front lights, gauges, and 4-gauge cluster today. Also, I put my Camaro5.com sticker on the rear, driver's side window! Ordered a set of Lloyd Mats today, too.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:22 PM   #12
2SS BUMBLBE

Oh, I just remembered. On Wednesday I put Dynamat under the deck lid trim.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:40 PM   #13
2SS BUMBLBE

On Monday 18APR11 I took the Camaro to the dealer to redress my FM reception. It was in back in the fall but I deployed before it was fixed. So now they have changed the head unit, FM module, and antenna cable and none of those was the issue. So they called yesterday and thought it was a grounding issue, which was good news as the rear window would remain original. But today they called again and retracted the previous guess. So now they will replace the back window. At least they are continuing to work on it.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:21 AM   #14
2SS BUMBLBE

23APR11: I ordered and installed Ghost Armor door handle, trunk loading area, and tail light kits. The tail light covers were large enough to go under the light bezel, which I thought would be good, until I found it difficult to get the last few wrinkles/bubbles out along the edge. I think slightly smaller than the bezel edge would be better. Still serves the purpose and once the covers dried I was able to get the wrinkle down to almost nothing.