Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-28-2010, 10:57 AM   #141
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghazzi1397 View Post
then maybe the solution is not to check the "remember your password" box! or better still GM should not offer that option on the app. To login you need to enter your username and pass. every time This is a great technology and we should be looking at the half full of it
User Name and password I think should be a option.. I have a password already locking my phone so I would prefer not to have to login to the OnStar app again. I would think maybe have a pop warning about remembering the password could be a issue if the phone is not password protected.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:44 AM   #142
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtrill View Post
I actually work developing software and hardware applications. There is a HUGE difference between functionality that allows a use to "click a button" and establishing an automated link through a cell network to the onstar network to the car.

I believe there is new hardware required and I also believe that much like the HUD once it hits the general public, solutions will be found.
How? I don't know what protocol they're using to talk to the car but the OnStar employee is likely just clicking a button on a web page. I don't know if they're using web services or not but they could easily expose a web service that talks to the back-end. I'm sure that's exactly what they're doing for the 2011+ with the web service just becoming internet facing and the phone talking directly to it. We've got web services that abstract a friggen mainframe. There's no reason that they can't make this work.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:10 PM   #143
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Same: CrackBerry App. Please.
calbert1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:12 PM   #144
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revo1 View Post
Call me old fashioned or paranoid, but this one kinda makes me nervous...
To each their own. Think about locking your keys in the car, and then having to call a tow to open your doors, leaving scratches, etc....

With OnStar you can call, and if you have the application you can simply do it yourself.
calbert1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:05 PM   #145
guiLT
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: 2001 Maxima
Go Onstar Go.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:33 PM   #146
25thanniversary

Drives: 92 Camaro Convt RS,2011 Camaro RS
it's cool but i think it should be on all vehicles that have Onstar

TEAM LLT

1992 Camaro Rs Convertible
2011 Camaro 1lt Rs
25thanniversary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:53 PM   #147
stand-al0ne
Rev Couture

Drives: 2010 LS Camaro & 2013 Rav4 Ltd
Quote:
Originally Posted by khislop007 View Post
SOB! Just because my car was an export model it didn't come with OnStar. Dammit! This would be sweet!
thats what you get for LTD in paradise - living the dream!

Also, I wish they make an app that can let you answer phone calls from your key fob...my phone is broken right now and out for repair
Old 07-28-2010, 01:55 PM   #148
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
I'm going to sue onstar if we can't get this for our 2010's.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:59 PM   #149
stand-al0ne
Rev Couture

Drives: 2010 LS Camaro & 2013 Rav4 Ltd
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashstat View Post
You could be right, but at the same time so could I. To compare though, Toyota has a requirement that any new feature set they launch on Telematics should be backwards compatible to two years. Now that is commitment to customers. GM failed here.
True, but their gas pedals work better.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:11 PM   #150
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
I'm going to sue onstar if we can't get this for our 2010's.
While I am unhappy this will be unavailable on our 2010's you can't be serious here. And everyone whos going berserk about it like its some kind of conspiracy... seriously????

Do you sue Dell because a program you bought today won't work well on your PC you got from them last year? Maybe you should sue GM because a new 2LT/2SS has a HUD where your car doesn't. They upgraded the hardware to add this functionality to the cars as a new feature. I am sure they would do it on the older cars if there was a way, after all its a SELLING POINT and might get some people who would have otherwise dumped OnStar to keep it. They do want to, you know, make money.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:11 PM   #151
joepitt

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro, 2017 Acura
remote start for manuals - nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryt1026 View Post
Onstar probably won't allow the remote start for manuals now will they...if so SUPER LAME
I doubt the app will or could provide any functionality not already in the car. I'm pretty sure the corporate lawyers nixed any thoughts of remote start on manuals since they would have to be in neutral. I'm happy I will be able to remote start from further away, like inside the restaurant.
Dinah Shore, 1952: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGZvQoPxhNs
joepitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:23 PM   #152
flipfire

Drives: 2010 Summit White SS/RS
FIRST, let me just say... WHY AM I NOT SURPRISED?!?

After reading though this article, watching the demo, and then reading through this forum I was pretty irritated like most of you are as I own a 2010 model. BUT, I hadn't seen anyone who had simply pressed that blue button on our mirrors to inquire about this.

I was initially greeted by a woman who did not seem very enthused to be taking any call from any customer, for any reason. I brought up this new feature thinking "if they are releasing a demo video, the reps must have some idea about the details of this new product." This woman hadn't the slightest idea as to what I was talking about so she transferred me to another cust. service rep who also... SHOCKER!!! ...had no idea about this new feature.

After almost 30 minutes and 3 OnStar reps later, I was finally transferred over to GM's marketing dept. And AGAIN, the GM rep too had no clue about what I was talking about. She even wanted to transfer me back to OS! No thanks... So I had the claim escalated and they'll get back to me in a week. fantastic...

SHE DID TELL ME THAT THEY HAVE NOT MADE ANY CHANGES TO THEIR ONSTAR HARDWARE IN THE 2011 CAMARO MODELS!!
(although she too probably hasn't a clue)

Long story short, don't bother pushing the button...
flipfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:30 PM   #153
GoPaul
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2LT RS M6
I'm baffled as to what has changed to be honest. If I lock myself out of my car, I can make a call to onstar, give them my unique pin number and as if by magic they will unlock my doors and let me in, that feature plus the ability to flash my headlights and sound my horn was available in a 2005 Envoy.

The only difference I see hear is that instead of speaking to an onstar rep to supply them this info verbally, I want to effectively text them the info via a handly little app - not sure what the big deal in apparantly not being able to do this is to be honest.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:33 PM   #154
GoPaul
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2LT RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashstat View Post
I actually work on Toyota's Lexus enform service (OnStar equiv) so I know the Gen 9 thing is a load of crap.

Let me put it very simple for you. Currently operators sitting somewhere in Michigan can lock/unlock your car from their computer screens, which means that the 2010 cars have the capabilities of remote lock/unlock...

So the iPhone/Android app is not exactly talking to your car directly, it will go through your wireless carrier's data network and then connect to OnStar's servers, which will then pass the signal to your car...

My analysis: GM does not want to spend money on making this compatible with Gen 8 hardware because it will not get any more potential car sales. Simple!

Think about it for a second, our cars can download all sorts of data... heck they can even slow down the car remotely... what makes you think they won't be able to receive a simple lock/unlock or remote start command.

Edit: I just noticed on OnStar FB page that they have gotten a lot of angry 2010 (specially Camaro) owners. I believe the rep, Stacy, said that they are always looking to expand their apps for other hardware or something like that. I think we are making a strong point there.
just read your post, see my post above.

I think you hit the nail on head in my opinion