Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 01-14-2011, 10:36 AM   #1
matthewmiller01

Drives: 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
Cool New RWD Subaru Sports Coupe (FT-86 equivalent) Coming in March!

Anyone been following the Toyota/Subaru joint project FT-86/216a sports car? News from FT86club today is that Subaru's RWD version is going to be unveiled at the 2011 Geneva autoshow in March.

Supposed to be on an all new RWD platform and powered by Subaru's boxer engine. I just hope the Subaru version makes it to the states, but I got some fear that it won't because since both models are now RWD, wouldn't they just eat into each other's sales?

via
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=916
Old 01-14-2011, 10:48 AM   #2
Russo
Unofficial Glass Tech

Drives: 2014 Ford F150 FX2
Send a message via Yahoo to Russo
i like it, seems like it would compete with the Genesis Coupe and perhaps whatever rwd coupe Honda will be putting out..
Russo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:52 AM   #3
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
Is honda even considering one anymore? It's been what.. almost 40 years since they've had an affordable RWD car that wasn't trying to be a supercar.
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:38 PM   #4
lil_chef
Banned

Drives: 2010 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabo View Post
Is honda even considering one anymore? It's been what.. almost 40 years since they've had an affordable RWD car that wasn't trying to be a supercar.
s2000?
lil_chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:49 PM   #5
Russo
Unofficial Glass Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabo View Post
s2k... had the highest NA piston hp/liter engine in the world for a few years...
Old 01-14-2011, 02:49 PM   #6
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Sweet. I've been eager to see these things come to fruition. It should be a potent little sports car.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:41 AM   #7
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russo View Post
s2k... had the highest NA piston hp/liter engine in the world for a few years...
I will never understand the fascination with a high hp/L number. A bigger engine, with the same hp, will produce more torque and therefore more average power, and as a result make the car faster overall.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 01:05 AM   #8
KKreme15

Drives: C6 Z06
I have one of these in Gran Tourismo 5
KKreme15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:30 AM   #9
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I will never understand the fascination with a high hp/L number. A bigger engine, with the same hp, will produce more torque and therefore more average power, and as a result make the car faster overall.
In many foreign countries, vehicles are taxed on displacement. 2.0L can be "magic" territory. So, if you're "restricted" to 2.0L AND no forced induction, "factory-built tuner engines" ensue...

With VVT, the conventional wisdom to this point has been to concentrate on more hp beyond a certain rpm. No one said manufacturers couldn't use VVT to concentrate on torque AND mpg, instead...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:10 AM   #10
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
I've seen the articles on it, but I think it was a small mistake for Subaru to make a car that isn't AWD. It's basically there main selling point and strongest feature. They KNOW AWD and to go RWD is going to alienate their main customer base. It might bring in new customers and I'm sure some existing customers will go for it, but I think it will be flop. Part of the problem was/is cost. They both wanted a cheaper car and AWD was gonna make it to much so they axed it. I guess it doesn't really matter to me though since I got my rocket ship already.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:19 AM   #11
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by v6sonoma View Post
I've seen the articles on it, but I think it was a small mistake for Subaru to make a car that isn't AWD. It's basically there main selling point and strongest feature. They KNOW AWD and to go RWD is going to alienate their main customer base. It might bring in new customers and I'm sure some existing customers will go for it, but I think it will be flop. Part of the problem was/is cost. They both wanted a cheaper car and AWD was gonna make it to much so they axed it. I guess it doesn't really matter to me though since I got my rocket ship already.
We are just seeing the base model, STI could mean AWD and forced induction.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 06:08 PM   #12
Russo
Unofficial Glass Tech

but Toyota is selling it, so what does it matter if it's awd or rwd to Subaru?
Old 01-15-2011, 10:52 PM   #13
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
In many foreign countries, vehicles are taxed on displacement. 2.0L can be "magic" territory. So, if you're "restricted" to 2.0L AND no forced induction, "factory-built tuner engines" ensue...

With VVT, the conventional wisdom to this point has been to concentrate on more hp beyond a certain rpm. No one said manufacturers couldn't use VVT to concentrate on torque AND mpg, instead...
I see two problems with that explanation. Anyone that I've talked to what likes a high hp/L has been living in either the US or Canada. Last time I checked, neither country has a displacement tax. Second, regardless of why a manufacturer does it, its not a positive attribute and if anything, its a negative. More power is good. More torque is good. But high hp/L ... so what? I'd much rather have an LS7 than the 4.3L from the F430 Scuderia. The proponents of hp/L would have you believe that the Ferrari engine is superior, since it makes more than 50% more hp/L. But in just about any measurable way its inferior to the big pushrod mill of the Z06: it makes less torque, burns more fuel, and costs more (and presumably, weighs more and is bigger overall though I can't find much info on that stuff)
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:03 PM   #14
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
We are just seeing the base model, STI could mean AWD and forced induction.
This is what I have heard. There are rumors that this will have an sti trim level with awd and a turbo 2.5. . .
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote