Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-28-2011, 09:13 PM   #1
black.

Drives: IBM 2SS
Trifecta tune question?

I thought I read from somewhere where if you get a trifecta tune and if you need to take it into the dealership you can reverse the tune and the factory can not trace it. Is this true?
black. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:25 PM   #2
OOLIE

Drives: 2011 LS
Well it can be tuned back to factory for sure. It is a highly accepted that it is not detectable, but no one can say for 100% certainty. If you are concerned in the least it may be best to not do it, because there is a slight gamble involved.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:27 PM   #3
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
yes and no.

you can switch back to the stock tune, but depending on what you need to take it to the dealership for will decide on if they look for a tune or not.

the bigger issue with V6's and tunes is that they arent looking for tunes on the V6 as it is relatively rare for a V6 to have serious motor issues that would require GM (not the dealer) to do a more thorough investigation.

it all comes down to the fact that you gotta pay to play
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:38 PM   #4
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
yes and no.

you can switch back to the stock tune, but depending on what you need to take it to the dealership for will decide on if they look for a tune or not.

the bigger issue with V6's and tunes is that they arent looking for tunes on the V6 as it is relatively rare for a V6 to have serious motor issues that would require GM (not the dealer) to do a more thorough investigation.

it all comes down to the fact that you gotta pay to play
Very True. However, I do recall someone on the forums saying a while back about how an SS computer stores up to 10 flashes where as the V6 doesn't, so they cannot see if a tune has been flashed multiple times or not. I'd say you're less likely to be caught with a tune on a V6 than an SS. But no one can say for certain.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:25 PM   #5
Blade

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS BVM
Send a message via AIM to Blade
The V6 computer doesn't record the flash and my dealer gives 2 sh**** that I have it done.

2012 2SS/RS Build Thread - Totaled by red light runner

2010 LT/RS Build Thread - Traded in for 2012 2SS

2007 Acura TSX

1992 Oldsmobile Achieva V6

1992 Mercury Sable
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:31 PM   #6
OOLIE

Drives: 2011 LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade View Post
The V6 computer doesn't record the flash and my dealer gives 2 sh**** that I have it done.
Pesonally I would bet on you, I think you are 100% correct, but the dealer is the variable. It is a fact the dealer makes more of of non waranty work than waranty work, so it depends on their motives and how hard they want to ride you. Can they prove it, that is the question, but I dare to say no. I just don't want to tell someone just trying to figure it out that as a fact. Never heard of a case to deter my thinking, so that is where I am at.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:38 PM   #7
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorAirForce View Post
Very True. However, I do recall someone on the forums saying a while back about how an SS computer stores up to 10 flashes where as the V6 doesn't, so they cannot see if a tune has been flashed multiple times or not. I'd say you're less likely to be caught with a tune on a V6 than an SS. But no one can say for certain.
when you have talked to the guys who actually wrote the programming for the computer for both V6 and V8... let me know.

I'm not pulling this stuff out of my ass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade View Post
there's more than just the flash counter...

but you are dead on with the second part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOLIE View Post
Pesonally I would bet on you, I think you are 100% correct, but the dealer is the variable. It is a fact the dealer makes more of of non waranty work than waranty work, so it depends on their motives and how hard they want to ride you. Can they prove it, that is the question, but I dare to say no. I just don't want to tell someone just trying to figure it out that as a fact. Never heard of a case to deter my thinking, so that is where I am at.
the dealer wont push the issue unless you have destroyed the engine at which point they would have to get the "bigger" wigs involved.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote