Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 08-04-2011, 11:19 AM   #1
Fiftydriver

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS RJT L99
Problem with rear end FIXED!!!

Just wanted to put a quick update on here. A while back I had posted a few posts about my JRE custom Diff making severe popping and snapping noises at low speed turns and was trying to figure out what the problem was.

Some had mentioned that a set of new quality axles may help if it was a problem with loose factory CV joints, well, installed a set of DSS 1400 HP axles and it made no difference so out came the JRE diff and back to Ted it went.

Got it back first of this week and picked up the car yesterday after installation. All I can say is THIS IS WHAT I WAS EXPECTING.

THe problem with the old rear end was that the factory Spider gears in the posi unit had come apart and the added stress apparently made the richmond 3.73 ring gear crack as well. Ted said we avoided some serious damage with this one.

Ted rebuilt a factory new Diff with his posi mod and billet caps and also installed a set of 3.91 LPE gears.

Driving the car around town is now a pleasure, no binding of any kind and the only real difference is that there is a noticably sharper kick in the rear when you want there to be off the light or when you downshift to pass someone.

I was not unhappy with the gear noise from the Richmond gears. I could really only hear the gears at speeds from 40-48 mph so not a huge issue and I did not think they were that noise anyway but driving these LPE gears is like night and day. They are no noisier then the factory 3.27 gears and there is no gear whine at any speed, well, at least not from 0 to 90 mph.

At 80 mph highway cruising speed I am running around 2400 rpms with my L99, acceptable to me. Yesterday I put around 300 miles on the car just playing with it to break in the gears. about 1/4 in town driving, rest highway. Heat up and let cool down and repeat type driving. In all, I got 21.2 mpg fuel milage. Not to damn bad in my opinion.

Only problem I see now is keeping my rear end under me!!! IT takes nothing to break the rear end loose at a stop light. Even not trying hard they will break loose and if you get on it you will slip the factory rubbers in 1, 2 and 3rd gear shift points.

Next step is to get some 315s on the back. Not sure if I want to have my factory 20x9" widened to 10.5" or step up to the 22x10" size for the rear end. Something has to happen though.

Now that the rear end is built where I want it, next step is to save my pennies for the Maggie kit!!! Hopefully that will be this winters project and have it up and running by spring!!!! I am planning on putting the maggie on top of my unmodified L99 other then LT headers, HF cats, Corsa 2.5" cat back exhaust, CAI and custom tune. I think I will run it this way to get the 3 yr/30,000 mile powertrain warrantee offered by Magnuson. Once that is up or during that time I will save up and get a forged 416 stroker build specifically for the blower from the bottom up and will then up the boost level for some real power.

THat is if I ever outgrow the power level of the standard Maggie.

Anyway, wanted to give a big shout to Ted and his grew. I know this has been a pain in all of our asses with the biggest problem just being the long distance issue between us. Had I been a local customer of his, the problem would have been fixed many months ago!!! Good to live in Montana until you need a top quality performance shop to work on your camaro!!!

Thanks again Ted, sorry for being a pain in the ass but we got things figured out now and I could not be happier. Have to give a huge plug for the LPE gears as well, more then impressed so far!!

2010 SSRS, RJTC, L99, Maggie 2300 SC, 3.4" pulley, Roto-Fab CAI, Dynatech Supermaxx LT headers, Dynatech High Flow cats, Corsa Cat back exhaust, Dual Elite Engineering catch can, MSD wires and Jannetty custom tune, JRE custom diff w/ posi mod, 3.91 LPE gears, Pfaht trailing arms, Pfaht trailing arm and Diff bushings, drop springs and sport sway bars front and back, Fesler dual guage pillar pod w/ AM Cobalt Boost and A/F guages.

More to come!!
Fiftydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:25 AM   #2
Nvincent4708

Drives: N/A
Might need to get me some 3.91's.....
Nvincent4708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:34 AM   #3
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Glad to hear your problem is fixed. I definitely plan on going through Ted when I have the funds for my diff. upgrade. Now I just wish AAM/LPE made some 4.11's or 4.33's gears for my LS3!!!
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 11:24 AM   #4
tadams72
When is enough ever...

Drives: 2006 Silverado 2500HD CC/SB LBZ
Well I know you had lots of input from folks (me included) but I don't think anyone predicted that being the issue. Glad you got it fixed. I'm thinking about doing the 3.91 gear set as well. Stock is too low and bogs on launch. 3.91's should be quicker in the qtr and probably add top speed since the engine doesn't have to work as hard in those triple digit realms. Thanks for the update!

"Just like farmer engineering. Find the weak link and fix it, then find the next one." Salt Cat Racing
tadams72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 02:31 PM   #5
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post
Just wanted to put a quick update on here. A while back I had posted a few posts about my JRE custom Diff making severe popping and snapping noises at low speed turns and was trying to figure out what the problem was.

Some had mentioned that a set of new quality axles may help if it was a problem with loose factory CV joints, well, installed a set of DSS 1400 HP axles and it made no difference so out came the JRE diff and back to Ted it went.

Got it back first of this week and picked up the car yesterday after installation. All I can say is THIS IS WHAT I WAS EXPECTING.

THe problem with the old rear end was that the factory Spider gears in the posi unit had come apart and the added stress apparently made the richmond 3.73 ring gear crack as well. Ted said we avoided some serious damage with this one.

Ted rebuilt a factory new Diff with his posi mod and billet caps and also installed a set of 3.91 LPE gears.

Driving the car around town is now a pleasure, no binding of any kind and the only real difference is that there is a noticably sharper kick in the rear when you want there to be off the light or when you downshift to pass someone.

I was not unhappy with the gear noise from the Richmond gears. I could really only hear the gears at speeds from 40-48 mph so not a huge issue and I did not think they were that noise anyway but driving these LPE gears is like night and day. They are no noisier then the factory 3.27 gears and there is no gear whine at any speed, well, at least not from 0 to 90 mph.

At 80 mph highway cruising speed I am running around 2400 rpms with my L99, acceptable to me. Yesterday I put around 300 miles on the car just playing with it to break in the gears. about 1/4 in town driving, rest highway. Heat up and let cool down and repeat type driving. In all, I got 21.2 mpg fuel milage. Not to damn bad in my opinion.

Only problem I see now is keeping my rear end under me!!! IT takes nothing to break the rear end loose at a stop light. Even not trying hard they will break loose and if you get on it you will slip the factory rubbers in 1, 2 and 3rd gear shift points.

Next step is to get some 315s on the back. Not sure if I want to have my factory 20x9" widened to 10.5" or step up to the 22x10" size for the rear end. Something has to happen though.

Now that the rear end is built where I want it, next step is to save my pennies for the Maggie kit!!! Hopefully that will be this winters project and have it up and running by spring!!!! I am planning on putting the maggie on top of my unmodified L99 other then LT headers, HF cats, Corsa 2.5" cat back exhaust, CAI and custom tune. I think I will run it this way to get the 3 yr/30,000 mile powertrain warrantee offered by Magnuson. Once that is up or during that time I will save up and get a forged 416 stroker build specifically for the blower from the bottom up and will then up the boost level for some real power.

THat is if I ever outgrow the power level of the standard Maggie.

Anyway, wanted to give a big shout to Ted and his grew. I know this has been a pain in all of our asses with the biggest problem just being the long distance issue between us. Had I been a local customer of his, the problem would have been fixed many months ago!!! Good to live in Montana until you need a top quality performance shop to work on your camaro!!!

Thanks again Ted, sorry for being a pain in the ass but we got things figured out now and I could not be happier. Have to give a huge plug for the LPE gears as well, more then impressed so far!!
Pretty sure the factory wheels are 20x10 in the rear. Sounds nice though.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 02:36 PM   #6
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
My rear end has been making some funny noises lately. I'm not sure if it has to do with the fact I had a set of richmond 4.10s explode and had the stock gears put back in...

It will still do a nice two wheel burnout so I know the posi is working. I'm just going to let it go and see what happens. If it breaks again, I'll have Ted hook me up. I really want some better gears. The 4.10s were pure love for the 1000 miles they lasted
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:13 PM   #7
MARINE1991

Drives: COTW 8/29/11 2010 CAMARO
Yea my richmond gears are making a lot of noise.. can you post the people to contact about getting this fixed or Pm me.. Thanks
MARINE1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 10:29 AM   #8
JLE58

Drives: CGM,twin turbo, cam 2010 SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by v6sonoma View Post
I wished! They are 20x9 fronts are 20x8
JLE58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:18 PM   #9
ADIO SS

Drives: 2010 White SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by v6sonoma View Post
20x9 on the rear size
also check into that Maggie warranty - that is ONLY with stock exhaust, air box - no mods...
ADIO SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:47 AM   #10
HzMajesty

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Blk/Blk
Send a message via MSN to HzMajesty
JRE FTW!!!
JRE Tuned - ARH LT 1-7/8 w/Cats - JRE Rear 4.11 - Borla "S" Cat-Back - CAI by CAI - H&R drop - HURST Shifter - BMR Tunnel Brace; 4 Point Brace; Adjustable Toe Rod; Rear Trailing Arms - Sphon Control Arms - MTI Racing w/Fire Sleeves - Stealth Ambers - GTS Tails - Phantom Grille - Concept LED Sidemarkers - Blacked out logos - Hotchkis Bars & End links - BMR Front Driveshaft Loop (install soon) - BMR Subframe connectors (install soon)

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3813191#
HzMajesty is offline   Reply With Quote