Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 04-15-2010, 07:07 PM   #1
mousemotor

Drives: 2010 camaro ss,pontiac G6
help removing spots in paint

looked at my hood, roof, and trunk lid and can see spots in the paint, they arenot water spots but something else, and ideas how to get out of paint?
mousemotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:49 PM   #2
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Can you send some pics? I have a feeling the answer is gonna be the PC but hard to say without seeing what we're dealing with.
CamaroDreams07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:10 PM   #3
mousemotor

cant send pictures, but i do have the pc, it looks like fish eyes in the paint, i live between two coal fired power plants i think it is acid rain spots
Old 04-15-2010, 08:19 PM   #4
Tecca

Drives: ...
If it is acid rain you will have to use a alkaline based product like multi-clean to first neutralize the acid, if you don't it will come back. Then rinse and get all the cleaner off, and then start polishing the paint.

I would suggest going to a professional to take care of acid rain, if not done right you can severly damage your paint, or they will just keep coming back.
Tecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:20 PM   #5
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
have you tried to polish them out?not a wax,but a polish.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:23 PM   #6
Tecca

I don't know if they still make it but Mequires used to have a product to help with removing acid rain spots.

Again you need to neutralize the spots first and get rid of all the contaminates or they will just come back.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:28 PM   #7
mousemotor

i havent really tried to polish them out , still tryin to figure out best way to do it, i have a crap load of adams stuff maybe this weekend try to work on it
Old 04-15-2010, 08:29 PM   #8
mousemotor

what do you use to netrualize the spots, is there a certain product
Old 04-15-2010, 08:54 PM   #9
Tecca

Here's a good article to read
Acid Rain

If you really want to try it yourself you can try 1 tablespoon of baking soda per 1 quart of water. Keep in mind you can severly scratch your paint with this method. In which you might have to wetsand and polish them out.

If I were you this is what I would do, go ahead and polish with a PC this weekend and see if the spots come back. If they do take it to a professional, there are two many things that can go wrong if you don't know what you are doing.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:28 PM   #10
mousemotor

Teccboxx, thanks for the insight, i try some stuff this weekend but nothing to extreme i will most likely take to a pro if spots remain. thanks guys
Old 04-16-2010, 06:14 PM   #11
Tecca

NP, there is no harm you can do to polish them out right now, and since you have some adams products especially the SHR it should pretty much make them go away and you will not notice them. Hopefully they won't come back.

Good luck
Old 04-17-2010, 10:40 AM   #12
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
You should be able to neutralize them using baking soda... make a light paste mixture of water and backing soda to sit on the worst spots for a few moments, do not rub it in, simple drop it onto the spots and blot at it to get it fully down on the surface.

Blast the paste away with a hose and then commence washing as normal... if you're using our soap it is pH neutral so it should help a lot in neutralizing anything left behind.

Follow a basic clay and polish routine to knock down any remaining marks or staining. If you have our Revive polish follow any machine polishing with a hand application of it to deep clean the finish.

Plan on laying down multiple coats of sealant to get that paint protected after you polish to prevent it from happening again and in the future if the car gets rained on heavily maybe plan on pulling it inside as soon as you can and blasting it off with a hose or using a mixture of pH neutral soap and water in a spray bottle to neutralize the acid rain.

Or just move somewhere there isn't acid rain
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 12:56 PM   #13
mousemotor

thanks Dylan, i have all the adams machine polish, i dont have the revive, i just recieved the americana. after the baking soda and wash , machine polish is that when i should apply the revive?
Old 04-17-2010, 01:41 PM   #14
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
Could you have drips of the base coat under the clear? I've seen a spot on my wifes malibu trunk, and a couple of them on my Camry.
skuttduck is offline   Reply With Quote