Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 03-05-2013, 08:25 PM   #15
jeepguy_1980

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrider01 View Post
The head unit is the cause of the pop. There are only 3 ways that I know of that can get rid of it.
1. Use the cigarette lighter as your remote turn-on - I have not tried this, but I hear this works.....
2. Replace your stock head unit with an aftermarket unit.
3. Use a Metra trigger for your remote.

Since both of you guys have it, do you have your JL amps using the same remote turn-on as the MS-8, or do you have the MS-8 controlling the remotes for the amps?
I have a Metra Trigger and a PAC TR-4, neither one worked. I have tried using the HU to control both the amp and MS-8 as well as letting the MS-8 control the stock amp.

I agree that it is the HU. I need the MS-8 to turn off before the HU, the the HU shuts faster than the remote line bleeds down. And the MS-8 shuts off very slow. Right now, I mute the MS-8 before I get out of the car.
jeepguy_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:08 PM   #16
darkrider01
Aural Assault Vehicle

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS, 2015 Sierra Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy_1980 View Post
I have a Metra Trigger and a PAC TR-4, neither one worked. I have tried using the HU to control both the amp and MS-8 as well as letting the MS-8 control the stock amp.

I agree that it is the HU. I need the MS-8 to turn off before the HU, the the HU shuts faster than the remote line bleeds down. And the MS-8 shuts off very slow. Right now, I mute the MS-8 before I get out of the car.
Well, I can easily see why the PAC TR-4 doesn't work. It just provides a delay in turn-on.

Are you still using the HD900/5? Have you tried running the head unit remote to the MS-8 and the Trigger remote out to the HD900/5? I hate that you guys are having to deal with this. I almost lost my mind when I was dealing with the pop.
Power Mods * K&N Typhoon CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back exhaust, Hurst Short Throw Shifter Exterior Mods * Black Phantom Grille * 22" T.I.S. 537MS wheels w/ Nitto INVO rubber * OEM body kit Suspension Mods * BC Racing Coilovers * Lakewood Strut Tower Brace Audio Mods * Stinger SPP 2250 Battery * Mosconi 6to8v8 w/ RCD * Pioneer AVH-X7500BT * Scosche Dash Kit * 2 - Mosconi AS200.4 * 2 - JL Audio 13W6v2 * Focal 165KRX2 Power (active) * Mosconi Gladen One 240.2 * Rockford Fosgate Power T1692
darkrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:49 PM   #17
Wuiquen

Drives: 2018 Hot Red ZL1
OP, how were you able to install your speakers this way?? I love the look of them and I much rather use this install than behind the door covers. I want to add some 6.5 in components... But what did you use to be able to install them and have them showing????

Thank you
Old 03-06-2013, 10:21 AM   #18
jeepguy_1980

Quote:
Well, I can easily see why the PAC TR-4 doesn't work. It just provides a delay in turn-on.

Are you still using the HD900/5? Have you tried running the head unit remote to the MS-8 and the Trigger remote out to the HD900/5? I hate that you guys are having to deal with this. I almost lost my mind when I was dealing with the pop.
Which mode did you use on the Trigger?
Old 03-06-2013, 11:56 AM   #19
darkrider01
Aural Assault Vehicle

Quote:
I believe that I was using Mode 5. Mode 12 might also work, but I'm pretty sure I was using Mode 5. I had no turn-off pop with the Trigger.
Power Mods * K&N Typhoon CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back exhaust, Hurst Short Throw Shifter Exterior Mods * Black Phantom Grille * 22" T.I.S. 537MS wheels w/ Nitto INVO rubber * OEM body kit Suspension Mods * BC Racing Coilovers * Lakewood Strut Tower Brace Audio Mods * Stinger SPP 2250 Battery * Mosconi 6to8v8 w/ RCD * Pioneer AVH-X7500BT * Scosche Dash Kit * 2 - Mosconi AS200.4 * 2 - JL Audio 13W6v2 * Focal 165KRX2 Power (active) * Mosconi Gladen One 240.2 * Rockford Fosgate Power T1692
Old 03-06-2013, 12:01 PM   #20
baskethead

Drives: 15 Z06
the cigarette lighter lead in the console works. Thats how I got mine to be quiet.
Greg
baskethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:04 PM   #21
darkrider01
Aural Assault Vehicle

Quote:
Quote:
I believe that I was using Mode 5. Mode 12 might also work, but I'm pretty sure I was using Mode 5. I had no turn-off pop with the Trigger.
I will say that the downside of using Mode 5 with the MS-8 is the boot-time of the MS-8. Any time that the head unit is muted or turned off, the trigger remote is immediately cut off. When you un-mute the radio or turn the radio back on, there will be a delay because the MS-8 will have to boot up.

A possible solution would be to run the MS-8 to the cigarette lighter power and have the Trigger or stock head unit operate the amp turn-on. I'm kinda pi$$ed at myself for just now thinking of this solution.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:56 PM   #22
jeepguy_1980

Quote:
I will say that the downside of using Mode 5 with the MS-8 is the boot-time of the MS-8. Any time that the head unit is muted or turned off, the trigger remote is immediately cut off. When you un-mute the radio or turn the radio back on, there will be a delay because the MS-8 will have to boot up.

A possible solution would be to run the MS-8 to the cigarette lighter power and have the Trigger or stock head unit operate the amp turn-on. I'm kinda pi$$ed at myself for just now thinking of this solution.
That sounds like a good idea.

The only thing I would do different is to use a relay to turn the MS-8 on when I use the two with the key in the off position.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:42 PM   #23
crashprime

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS IOM M6
Quote:

I'm going to be installing a an MS-8 setup in the next couple weeks. After reading about this, I think to avoid this issue, I am going to use the 12v from the cig adapter to the remote on the MS-8.

The MS-8 has a remote output, so what benefit would there be to running the HU remote or the Metra Trigger remote to the amps, instead of just using the remote out on the MS-8?
crashprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:14 PM   #24
darkrider01
Aural Assault Vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashprime View Post
I'm going to be installing a an MS-8 setup in the next couple weeks. After reading about this, I think to avoid this issue, I am going to use the 12v from the cig adapter to the remote on the MS-8.

The MS-8 has a remote output, so what benefit would there be to running the HU remote or the Metra Trigger remote to the amps, instead of just using the remote out on the MS-8?
I'd say give it a shot and let us know how it turns out. It could work.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:59 PM   #25
crashprime

Quote:
I'd say give it a shot and let us know how it turns out. It could work.
I'll be doing this soon and I will certainly report back. Just waiting on some PVC brackets for my doors. I went with the same supplier jeepguy_1980 did, and I'm hoping for the best.

My kitchen table looks like an authorized JBL dealer and I am getting antsy!

By the way I love how those 6.5" speakers look in the doors. I wish I was brave enough to dremel the covers off for a more exposed look.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:18 AM   #26
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
I got my MS-8 replaced recently and the replacement has newer firmware. I haven't found a way to change the MS-8 volume after it is all setup and it now has a delay feature that is adjustable. Pretty sure it is for the shutdown thump. Still using OEM head unit. It is way better than the one I got last July. Haven't taken time to read up on it completely or tinker with it much. When I select "audio settings" there is no volume option. Only problem is getting a rattle from one of the Focal KRX2 drivers. Need to inspect it close, hope it is just a loose screw in the mounting and not the voice coil, maybe even a slightly loose wire. It even makes the scratchy rattle at very low volume. I can play it loud without the MS-8 and don't hear the rattle until I go through the MS-8 again. If there is nothing obvious then I will swap speaker positions to see if it follows the speaker or if it is something else.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:42 AM   #27
crashprime

Is there a way to update the firmware yourself?
Old 05-08-2013, 11:29 PM   #28
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashprime View Post
Is there a way to update the firmware yourself?
Not sure. Maybe go to JBL/Harmon support and ask. They usually answer within a day.