Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-23-2012, 03:49 AM   #1
Renegade
Banned

Drives: Camaro SS Edition
Send a message via AIM to Renegade Send a message via MSN to Renegade Send a message via Yahoo to Renegade Send a message via Skype™ to Renegade
Do You Drive A Stick or Automatic Camaro?

Guy's who drive a automatic does that make them any less of a man?
Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:10 AM   #2
red70tvhs
Red

Drives: 2018 Mosaic Black 2ss M6
Lmfao... here we go!
red70tvhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:11 AM   #3
epatrone

Drives: 2011 camaro 2SS L99
I have a 2012 MN6 45 anniversary edition 2SS and love the stick. It is a Hurst close gear shifter and extremely smooth. Last night I took it out for a spin and of course I have a nice flat straight piece of road with water on both sides which is perfect for 0-60 runs and 0-100 runs. I have been diligently trying to find the best way to launch this car and I finally found it. I find if you press the clutch and bring it to gear slowly with out moving then punch it and finish releasing the clutch you will launch like a bat out of hell. I used my iphone and consistently was getting 0-60 in 4.2 seconds and 0-100 in 10.4. My best before that was 4.45 seconds 0-60 and 0-100 10.9. It was fast and knew it before checking it via stop watch. I did have it set with traction and stability off with it in competition mode. ED
epatrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:17 AM   #4
Renegade
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Renegade Send a message via MSN to Renegade Send a message via Yahoo to Renegade Send a message via Skype™ to Renegade
Quote:
Originally Posted by epatrone View Post
I have a 2012 MN6 45 anniversary edition 2SS and love the stick. It is a Hurst close gear shifter and extremely smooth. Last night I took it out for a spin and of course I have a nice flat straight piece of road with water on both sides which is perfect for 0-60 runs and 0-100 runs. I have been diligently trying to find the best way to launch this car and I finally found it. I find if you press the clutch and bring it to gear slowly with out moving then punch it and finish releasing the clutch you will launch like a bat out of hell. I used my iphone and consistently was getting 0-60 in 4.2 seconds and 0-100 in 10.4. My best before that was 4.45 seconds 0-60 and 0-100 10.9. It was fast and knew it before checking it via stop watch. I did have it set with traction and stability off with it in competition mode. ED
Don't you mean like a bat out of a cave? lol j/k.

That's good sounds like you've found your sweet spot.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:24 AM   #5
MYDLIFECRISIS

Drives: '12SS/2SS/45TH-'06 2500HD/Silverado
Automatic! Don't feel like less of a man!!

MYDLIFECRISIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:33 AM   #6
red70tvhs
Red

Wellp driving an automatic might not make anybody less of a man or woman BUT it may make your wallet a little lighter than a manual. Look at it, 9 times out of 10 the L99 underperforms despite being paired with an awesome auto tranny. Some dyno under LESS than 300rwhp. LS1's put down at least 300-315rwhp. So, In order to get that L99 up to par to what it should be doing, ya gotta tune it, which in turn voids your warranty, which in turn makes you PAY for alot of krap that could possibly go wrong due to lack of warranty! Take it with a grain of salt buuuuuut I'l take a manual any day and keep my warranty intact and if I decide to void it (which I will) It will be because im exceeding stock expectations, to just getting up to par to where I shouldve been 34-42k dollars ago!

Last edited by red70tvhs; 08-23-2012 at 04:34 AM. Reason: Im tired, I forgot a word... leave me alone... lol
Old 08-23-2012, 04:39 AM   #7
Renegade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by red70tvhs View Post
Wellp driving an automatic might not make anybody less of a man or woman BUT it may make your wallet a little lighter than a manual. Look at it, 9 times out of 10 the L99 underperforms despite being paired with an awesome auto tranny. Some dyno under LESS than 300rwhp. LS1's put down at least 300-315rwhp. So, In order to get that L99 up to par to what it should be doing, ya gotta tune it, which in turn voids your warranty, which in turn makes you PAY for alot of krap that could possibly go wrong due to lack of warranty! Take it with a grain of salt buuuuuut I'l take a manual any day and keep my warranty intact and if I decide to void it (which I will) It will be because im exceeding stock expectations, to just getting up to par to where I shouldve been 34-42k dollars ago!
It leaves a sweet and sour tase in your mouth indeed. I think majority people would like to exceed stock parts sooner or later. Once you see a great tuned car you start to become inspired and then later a mod addict.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:43 AM   #8
red70tvhs
Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
It leaves a sweet and sour tase in your mouth indeed. I think majority people would like to exceed stock parts sooner or later. Once you see a great tuned car you start to become inspired and then later a mod addict.
Sweet and Sour Taste? IF there wasnt some reason I was required to drive an automatic and just preferred them I'd be one incredibly Irate customer with an underperforming car lol But I will drive a manual and thank god that will be one bridge I'l never have to cross! If im not breaking 400rwhp after my first tune... well... il be mad haha, my first tune will be after LT's CAI and exhaust, basic boltons.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:46 AM   #9
Renegade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by red70tvhs View Post
Sweet and Sour Taste? IF there wasnt some reason I was required to drive an automatic and just preferred them I'd be one incredibly Irate customer with an underperforming car lol But I will drive a manual and thank god that will be one bridge I'l never have to cross! If im not breaking 400rwhp after my first tune... well... il be mad haha, my first tune will be after LT's CAI and exhaust, basic boltons.
read between the lines lol. It can be a good or bad thing. Well hopefully you do your research before you tune and spend your money wisely.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:50 AM   #10
red70tvhs
Red

Quote:
read between the lines lol. It can be a good or bad thing. Well hopefully you do your research before you tune and spend your money wisely.
I always do my research, I dont make a 6 digit salary... yet. lol My money gets spent wisely, 400-420rwhp seems to be the ballpark range for a LS3 bolt on car! I was at 377rwhp in my goat with Paceshitter Headers and a drop in filter lol
Old 08-23-2012, 04:54 AM   #11
Renegade
Banned

Everything will fall into place and before you know it you'll be "Auto-tuned".
Old 08-23-2012, 05:06 AM   #12
NorthTex45thSS

Drives: 2012 45th SS
I got the auto because I waited to long! I waited till the dealerships started getting rid of the 12's for a good price to make room for the 13's! By that time it was hard to find a m6 with the color and options I wanted! Then my sales guy said hey we have a 45th anniversary out back with all the options you want but it is a auto! I said 45?? Didn't even know it existed until then lol! So we walked out back and as I came around the corner I immediately fell in love with it! I liked the different wheels and the color! Also I started thinking, I drive a truck all night with a 10spd shifting non stop! It would be nice to come home to something I can just get in and drive with a smile! Also I knew at the time I was gonna do heads/cam on the camaro I buy so warranty doesn't concern me! After exhaust, Adm intake and tune its just as fun as any manual I've had! So in the end I settled for an auto but turns out im happy with it!
NorthTex45thSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:15 AM   #13
Renegade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthTex45thSS View Post
I got the auto because I waited to long! I waited till the dealerships started getting rid of the 12's for a good price to make room for the 13's! By that time it was hard to find a m6 with the color and options I wanted! Then my sales guy said hey we have a 45th anniversary out back with all the options you want but it is a auto! I said 45?? Didn't even know it existed until then lol! So we walked out back and as I came around the corner I immediately fell in love with it! I liked the different wheels and the color! Also I started thinking, I drive a truck all night with a 10spd shifting non stop! It would be nice to come home to something I can just get in and drive with a smile! Also I knew at the time I was gonna do heads/cam on the camaro I buy so warranty doesn't concern me! After exhaust, Adm intake and tune its just as fun as any manual I've had! So in the end I settled for an auto but turns out im happy with it!
Everything happens for a reason. This is a good story thanks for sharing with us. Were you surprised you fell in love with the auto?
Old 08-23-2012, 05:38 AM   #14
NorthTex45thSS

Drives: 2012 45th SS
Quote:
Everything happens for a reason. This is a good story thanks for sharing with us. Were you surprised you fell in love with the auto?

Yes actually I was very surprised! I was having serious 2nd thoughts driving it home after I signed the paperwork! But I kept thinking well it has everything else I wanted (sun roof ) car was getting hard to find! Plus they gave what I wanted for my trade in and let me have the car for what I offered with no haggling! So the next few days I drove the car around and it felt great! Yes the tune made a night and day difference,, but the stock auto tune exceeded my expectations! But most auto I've driven were not sports cars either! So I really didn't give it the chance I should have! My friend had a hp tuned tbss auto and it shifted solid everytime! So I should have taken that into consideration!
NorthTex45thSS is offline   Reply With Quote