Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-14-2014, 12:36 AM   #15
skibik

Drives: bbbbbb
I hate to thread jack here but still being skeptical that I wasted my money I have one question.

How hard are some of you driving to get one to two cups of oil separated in 3000 to 3500 miles?

Considering what little bit, actually a teaspoon at most, I have dumped and only drive aggressive on occasion I just can't see how some of you are getting so much oil separated. I am curious.

Dean.
skibik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 12:53 AM   #16
Mr Monte

Drives: 2014 Chevy SS
The oil catch can in my Challenger SRT8 catches about 1/4 cup of oil every 3,000 miles. Well worth it to me.

Mr Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:56 AM   #17
camaro1350

Drives: 2013 Camaro RS 1LT, 6M
Every engine is different and your climate will make a difference as well IMO. Before I changed gears I only got about half that of the picture I took. Now since I changed out the gears to 3.91's my rpm is around 2600 of 2000 so getting more oil. Even if you only getting a teaspoon after a while you valves will be caked and performance lowered.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Old 05-14-2014, 12:03 PM   #18
Chris14RS

Drives: RRM RS v6
Worth it no matter what. Whether you race or not.
Chris14RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 12:26 PM   #19
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Here is a picture of the intake runners on a brand new 2014 1LE we have in here for a cam install. This car has 187 miles on it and as you can see it already has some build up. Imagine what this will look like after 20k or even 100K miles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibik View Post
I hate to thread jack here but still being skeptical that I wasted my money I have one question.

How hard are some of you driving to get one to two cups of oil separated in 3000 to 3500 miles?

Considering what little bit, actually a teaspoon at most, I have dumped and only drive aggressive on occasion I just can't see how some of you are getting so much oil separated. I am curious.

Dean.
Are you 100% sure you have it routed correctly? Maybe post a picture of your install.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:11 PM   #20
TOYMARO

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS 2SS
Quote:
I am still skeptical and I have one. I can say I wouldn't buy another one since I drive mine year round and had bought it last summer and all I have dumped out of mine all winter is ice. Have to check it weekly and dump and all water and only a few drops of oil. I went 3000 miles last fall but we got cold last before I was able to dump it and I had a hell of a time getting the can off. It is warm now and won't check it as often. I only drive it aggressive on occasion and if all I see is a tablespoon of oil I am pulling it off and one will be for sale. This is JMO but if you are not taking it to the track and only running it hard on occasion like I am there is no need for one and they are just a waste of money. Again just my opinion.

Dean.
I got a shot glass full at 300 miles...i will never run again without it. Car is bone stock. Not even a CAI yet.

JMO, you are nuts for not running one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstephen17 View Post
Quick question. How easy/difficult is it to install? I've changed my own oil, cleaned the TB, and replaced a fuel filter. Is it within the grasp of a novice or do you really have to be mechanically inclined?
Easy as pie.

Quote:

Dean.
Installed correctly? I got a shot glass full of oil and it was only 200-300 miles. I dont drive that hard.
TOYMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 03:16 PM   #21
pmandeep

Drives: 2013 VR 2LT/RS
Talking about this, I should probably check up on mine... I don't drive my car as much and only have only driven it about 5300 miles in the last year since I got it. Time to go check up on it.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:40 PM   #22
BigRed585Lbs

Drives: Sierra and Tahoe
If you don't have one installed.................you're just a future customer.
BigRed585Lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 10:51 PM   #23
skibik

Drives: bbbbbb
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP Tyler View Post
Here is a picture of the intake runners on a brand new 2014 1LE we have in here for a cam install. This car has 187 miles on it and as you can see it already has some build up. Imagine what this will look like after 20k or even 100K miles!

Are you 100% sure you have it routed correctly? Maybe post a picture of your install.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
Yes, I contacted Elite about the bad vacuum leak sound and I had confirmed with them it was and is installed correctly. I am going to have to pull for the winter months since it is so difficult to unscrew when cold and have to dump an ice chunk once a week which or was a pain in the arse!
skibik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:48 AM   #24
TOYMARO

Quote:
I am still skeptical and I have one. I can say I wouldn't buy another one since I drive mine year round and had bought it last summer and all I have dumped out of mine all winter is ice. Have to check it weekly and dump and all water and only a few drops of oil. I went 3000 miles last fall but we got cold last before I was able to dump it and I had a hell of a time getting the can off. It is warm now and won't check it as often. I only drive it aggressive on occasion and if all I see is a tablespoon of oil I am pulling it off and one will be for sale. This is JMO but if you are not taking it to the track and only running it hard on occasion like I am there is no need for one and they are just a waste of money. Again just my opinion.

Dean.
Quote:

Dean.

Are you sure you didnt do a "clean side" install of the can? I mean....I have NEVER heard of some one NOT catching oil with these cans. EVERYONE catches oil. Yoiu are the first and it seems wrong not to be catching oil.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:25 AM   #25
Chris14RS

Drives: RRM RS v6
It all depends on how hard you drive. If you drive like a normal person most of the time there will be very little oil.
Chris14RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:30 AM   #26
Moe55

Drives: 2011 1ss
I ordered an apex catch can for my car. Been on for about 5,000 miles. It's defiantly caught more than I expected. My car has 37,000 on it. Wish I had got one a long time ago.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:03 PM   #27
TOYMARO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris14RS View Post
It all depends on how hard you drive. If you drive like a normal person most of the time there will be very little oil.
Disagree. My 2-300 mile empty was with NO hard driving. Produced a shotglass full.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:17 PM   #28
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris14RS View Post
That is absolutely correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOYMARO View Post
Disagree. My 2-300 mile empty was with NO hard driving. Produced a shotglass full.
The amount of oil you catch does depend on how the car is driven as well as how the rings are seated. Not saying you won't catch any driving like a grandma, but go out and do a day on the road course and then check your catch can. You'll just about fill it in a single day.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote