Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 11-17-2007, 10:09 PM   #1
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
New Malibu

The local Chevrolet dealer finally has the new Malibu in their inventory.

I pass by the dealer almost daily, and with the exception of when they have Corvette's parked out front, I generally pass by without doing a "double take". Seeing the new Malibu parked out front this evening, I did a "double take".

The styling of this car is very nice, and a huge improvement over the previous Malibu. If I were in the market for a stylish 4-door, the Malibu would be high on my list.

I suggest stopping by and taking a closer look when it arrives in your "neighborhood".
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 01:43 AM   #2
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I'm definitely going to. I've GOT to see this car in person.
Just bought a car, though...so they're gonna be, like...uh? WTF are you doing here again?

To see a Malibu
Old 11-18-2007, 02:44 PM   #3
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I'm definitely going to. I've GOT to see this car in person.
Just bought a car, though...so they're gonna be, like...uh? WTF are you doing here again?

To see a Malibu
I try not to stop at my local dealers very often. They all know my face... They probably all think 'he's back AGAIN?'
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 04:23 PM   #4
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
im still waiting for the Chevelle Malibu to come back
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 08:49 AM   #5
LnLSS
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2015 Red Hot ZL1
They did have the Malibu at the Central Florida show. Very very nice car for a 4 door. Very comfortable and sharp inteior.
LnLSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 09:50 AM   #6
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
My favorite part about the new Malibu has to be the seats. I sat in a preproduction model with leather seats at the Orange County Rev It Up, and oh goodness those seats were comfortable. That car would make my long daily commute soooo much better, especially with the satellite radio.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 01:36 PM   #7
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
We drove it in Dallas. Loved it!!!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 12:30 AM   #8
Mr. Wyndham

2008 Chevrolet Malibu is a worthy contender for top sedan

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/class...0,781053.story

Had someone suggested four years ago that the Chevrolet Malibu would make the top-10 lists of both Car and Driver and Automobile magazines, you probably would have tried to sell him some stock in the Yugo, because clearly, this was not a person in control of his faculties. But that's what happened: The 2008 Malibu is a genuine revelation, giving Chevy something it has never really had before -- a genuine, no-compromise competitor for the two top-selling sedans, the Toyota Camry and the Honda Accord.

The general goodness of the Malibu is not entirely a surprise. Nearly three years ago, General Motors showed a handful of journalists some future products, an off-the-record sneak peek that included the Malibu and the redesigned Cadillac CTS. That Malibu was a knockout, and with virtually no changes made to that concept's styling, that's the car they're selling now.

So some of us knew the car would be handsome. The first real indication that mechanically it would be on par with the competition came with the introduction of the Saturn Aura, voted the North American Car of the Year for 2007 by a group of 50 automotive journalists. The Aura and the Malibu share a basic platform, so there was no reason to question the Malibu's underpinnings.

Perhaps the biggest surprise, to me at least, is the quality of the Malibu's interior. Repeatedly, General Motors has teased us with concept cars that have gorgeous, sensible interiors, but then when the production version shows up, it's the same old GM cockpit. The interior of the Malibu raises the bar, especially in the test car -- the top-of-the-line LTZ -- which had two-tone leather trim that belongs in a much more expensive car. It's comfortable, with plenty of rear-seat room, and not a single glaring error.

The base Malibu comes with a 2.4-liter, 169-horsepower four-cylinder engine, mated to a four-speed automatic transmission. This engine, standard in the LS and LT models, is a step up from most GM four-cylinders, and delivers very good fuel mileage, at an EPA-rated 22 miles per gallon city, 30 mpg highway.

The LTZ uses the corporate 3.6-liter, 252-horsepower V-6 that we've seen in a number of GM vehicles, including the Cadillac CTS. It gets a superior six-speed automatic transmission. Though the EPA rating for this powertrain is 17 mpg city, 26 mpg highway, I averaged well over 23 mpg in 10 days of moderately aggressive driving on regular gas.

The Malibu LS starts at less than $20,000, and even at that price, is well-equipped with features that include six air bags, traction control, antilock brakes, air conditioning, OnStar, cruise control, a good stereo and power-operated windows, mirrors and locks. The LT adds a few more features, and the LTZ gets you pretty much everything, including the bigger engine and 18-inch tires and wheels. Stability control is standard on all but the least expensive model. And soon, there will be a hybrid Malibu that starts at less than $23,000. The test LTZ started at $26,345, and with shipping and a few options, including a power sunroof, stickered for $27,795.

There are, however, a handful of complaints that keep the new Malibu from matching what I think is the best car in the class, the new Honda Accord. (This may be a good place to mention the quote Chevrolet is using in Malibu advertising, taken from the New York Times, that claims that the Malibu is like a "super-Accord, only from GM." That quote was written on the Times blog by a writer who, at the time, had not actually driven a Malibu, just seen one at an auto show.)

The Malibu's steering feels slow and stiff, and compounds the sensation that this car seems heavier than the 3,650 pounds it weighs. The rear suspension is slightly confused by bumps, especially when turning. And, as a front-wheel-drive car, the Malibu suffers from moderate torque steer, which is the sensation that, under hard acceleration, the engine's torque is actually steering the front wheels left and right a bit.

Those complaints are pretty minor, and fixable. And none would prevent me from buying a Malibu.

And that brings me to the final complaint, and it's really just an observation: This is so much more car than the last Malibu, I'm not sure it was a good idea to hang onto that name.
Old 12-09-2007, 12:33 AM   #9
Mr. Wyndham

Another Article:

I'm really liking these constant reports and praises...especially if GM/Chevy intends to follow this path with the Camaro.

Suppose I said the 2008 Chevrolet Malibu is a midsize sedan worth considering alongside the Honda Accord and Toyota Camry. Would you believe me?

I could understand if you didn't.

The Malibu competes in the toughest part of the auto market, one dominated by Camry/Accord/Altima.

Chevrolet, once the center of the American automotive cosmos, buried its reputation long ago under tons of Corsicas, Luminas andCelebritys that promised quality but failed to deliver.

Not so with this baby.

The new Malibu is the finest midsize car Chevy has produced in three decades.

I'm not alone in that thinking. The Malibu elicited many questions from co-workers — and it turned heads wherever it went. Its sleek lines evoke the 2008 Cadillac CTS. Subtly beveled sheetmetal and chrome trim reinforce the deception. This handsome car is a sharp contrast to the new Honda Accord and Toyota Camry, which seem dowdy by comparison.

Unlike previous Chevrolet interiors, which must've been targeted by GM accountants for cost-cutting, the Malibu boasts the same soft-touch surfaces, ambient lighting and expensive detailing seen in Asian rivals. The twin cockpit dashboard design recalls '60s-era Corvettes. A two-tone color scheme is carried throughout the cabin. The instrument panel is refreshingly simple, lacking the overload of buttons that plagues too many cars in this class.

The front bucket seats are comfortable and supportive. The seat bottoms have good depth and thigh support. The rear seat is comfortably high off the floor, though it lacks a fold-down center armrest. Legroom is plentiful.

And there are little delights throughout, such as the rear power outlets, adjustable foot pedals, rear sunshade.

But the Malibu offers more than great styling and build quality. Underneath is a platform that exhibits equal finesse.

Malibu isn't a sports sedan, but it has enough agility to make the daily commute entertaining. Its personality is more like a European car. Yes, there's body roll during cornering, but it's offset by good grip. The car insolates occupants from road impacts without robbing the driver of road feel. Steering is responsive and precise. This Chevy's excellent balance between ride and handling is surprising for a family hauler.

Performance comes from two smooth engines. For fuel-economy fans, there's a 169-horsepower 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine hooked to a four-speed automatic. It provides adequate power, but the power-hungry will want the 252-horse, double-overhead-cam 3.6-liter V-6. It comes with a six-speed automatic that can be shifted manually via steering-wheel paddles. The car reaches 60 mph in less than 7 seconds, and it returns good fuel economy. The V-6 test car had overall mileage of 24 mpg.
And it's very serene, with just a bit of road noise. The solitude can be banished with the AM/FM/XM/CD audio system.

The trunk is very deep, but not tall.

The car Chevrolet sent for testing was the top-of-the-line LTZ model. Standard equipment includes anti-lock disc brakes, stability control, traction control, 18-inch wheels, heated outside mirrors, heated leather seats; split folding rear seats, power adjustable foot pedals, tilt/telescopic steering wheel wrapped in leather, and remote starting.

GM is charging Wal-Mart prices for a product with Nordstrom elan.
.safercar.gov).

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...ymalibu07.html
Old 12-09-2007, 01:58 AM   #10
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
ahhh, good times indeed.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 02:59 AM   #11
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
While very pleased that the Malibu is getting such great reviews (as it should - it's top notch), I'm more concerned about one thing said....and this is not to get off topic, but I had to mention it.

Quote:
and with virtually no changes made to that concept's styling, that's the car they're selling now
Quite a few people have mentioned all the concept cars built by GM and how closely they resembled their production counterpart. This is just another example. But, as we get closer to seeing a production Camaro, ^this is just one more "nail" which will hopefully keep that saying true: "I've seen the production car and side by side, I couldn't tell the difference."
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 08:02 AM   #12
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Its good to see the first reviewer got better than predicted gas mileage, and the reviewer after that got even better. It is good that the new EPA estimates more closely reflect real life driving conditions, but sometimes they sell the cars a bit short. I've noticed on Edmunds.com their long-term test cars all average almost exactly what the EPA said they should, but their driving involves tons of Los Angeles stop and go city driving and performance testing, so that mileage is probably lower than what most people will see.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote