Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Emblempros
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-25-2017, 08:47 AM   #1
littlewing57

Drives: 2013 Camaro RS
best way to tune?

Hey folks - can someone explain the benefit of driving to someplace like RDP (4 hours each way) or Livernois Motorsports (hour and 20minutes each way) vs. buying a programmer and installing the tune myself. I have no idea what I'm doing... and no idea what is best/smartest.

If I go to one of those facilities, what's the process like?

2013 V6, CAI, axle back exhaust.

https://www.phastekperformance.com/2...ergy-32501.htm

Thanks for your thoughts....
littlewing57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 09:00 AM   #2
miller8907

Drives: 2014 1SS/RS LS3
A tune on the Dyno will always be better than an email tune. Every car is a little different so if you want to get every last hp out of it, dyno is the way to go. Steve and RDP is a great guy to deal with. If you do decide on an email tune, talk to him.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:07 AM   #3
littlewing57

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller8907 View Post
A tune on the Dyno will always be better than an email tune. Every car is a little different so if you want to get every last hp out of it, dyno is the way to go. Steve and RDP is a great guy to deal with. If you do decide on an email tune, talk to him.
I spoke to Steve a couple times. He seems like a good guy. I've also contacted Livernois Motorsports but they aren't communicating with me very well. One of the few emails I got back from them said we could do the tune via mail. That's why I asked which route was best. Steve never mentioned doing anything by mail.

If I'm going to spend the money I definitely want to do the right thing, one time.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:09 AM   #4
HOJO

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS/RS 1LE 1967 Camaro
Just having a CAI and axle back I'd do a mail order tune from one of the venders on here. Most will provide free tune updates if you do any further modding. You will only see a few and I mean few horsepower difference than an actual dyno tune. A dyno tune will cost more and updated tunes usually are not free. These are facts as stated by a number of members on this site who have already been down this road. Knowledge of how to do it is minimal. Plug it in and follow the prompts. The unit will save your factory tune as well.
HOJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 09:16 AM   #5
mma

Drives: '13 1LE
I'd prob just do an email tune too if its just a CAI and axleback. DynoSteve offers the SCT tuner with free tune updates, you will be impressed.

btw, that link you posted from phastek for that tuning device will not work for your LFX car
mma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 10:58 AM   #6
littlewing57

Quote:
Originally Posted by mma View Post
I'd prob just do an email tune too if its just a CAI and axleback. DynoSteve offers the SCT tuner with free tune updates, you will be impressed.

btw, that link you posted from phastek for that tuning device will not work for your LFX car
Understood. My dilemma is an 8 hour road trip to Steve, a 3 hour road trip to Livernois Motorsports, or a remote tune that I install with myself. I've convinced myself, based on the overwhelming feed back, that Steve is the guy I want to work with if I go the remote route. I still have to think about the road trip to have him do it in person. But.... that would be a great reason to spend 4 hours driving it after making it as awesome as you all say he will.

Thanks for the heads up on the link. If I go with the remote option, I'll use whatever tune unit he suggests.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:09 PM   #7
Livernois Motorsports

Drives: 2010 Camaro 454 LSX
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewing57 View Post
Hey folks - can someone explain the benefit of driving to someplace like RDP (4 hours each way) or Livernois Motorsports (hour and 20minutes each way) vs. buying a programmer and installing the tune myself. I have no idea what I'm doing... and no idea what is best/smartest.

If I go to one of those facilities, what's the process like?

2013 V6, CAI, axle back exhaust.

https://www.phastekperformance.com/2...ergy-32501.htm

Thanks for your thoughts....
While we are always happy for people to stop in and check out our facility and see what we have going on here. It is all about what is practical for you the customer. We have only done a few v6 cars as they do not pick up very well bang for the dollar.Not something I would offer a remote tune on at this time. They do pick up and drive nice. I think we did a 13-14 car last year cold air, t-stat and cat back. It picked up 19rwhp and 14lbs on 93octane. The end customer was satisfied and loved the way it drove and sounded. He loved the trans shifting post tune and said his economy got better with his driving style.
Livernois Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 02:31 PM   #8
littlewing57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livernois Motorsports View Post
While we are always happy for people to stop in and check out our facility and see what we have going on here. It is all about what is practical for you the customer. We have only done a few v6 cars as they do not pick up very well bang for the dollar.Not something I would offer a remote tune on at this time. They do pick up and drive nice. I think we did a 13-14 car last year cold air, t-stat and cat back. It picked up 19rwhp and 14lbs on 93octane. The end customer was satisfied and loved the way it drove and sounded. He loved the trans shifting post tune and said his economy got better with his driving style.
So coming into your shop would be the best option? I was emailing with Dave and Steve at your place this week but haven't received any pricing. I've got numbers from DynoSteve but nothing to compare them to. I'm hopeful that I'll see something from LM's Steve soon.

Other than that, I'd enjoy visiting your shop to see what you guys do first hand. I'm thinking about dabbling into some suspension/handling upgrades this summer. Do you folks do much in that area?
Old 03-25-2017, 04:11 PM   #9
Kenny Camaro

Drives: 2013 1LT RS Camaro
Quote:
So coming into your shop would be the best option? I was emailing with Dave and Steve at your place this week but haven't received any pricing. I've got numbers from DynoSteve but nothing to compare them to. I'm hopeful that I'll see something from LM's Steve soon.

Other than that, I'd enjoy visiting your shop to see what you guys do first hand. I'm thinking about dabbling into some suspension/handling upgrades this summer. Do you folks do much in that area?
What area of Michigan do you live in?
K.C.'s ported Overkill 80mm TB, K.C.'s ported intake manifold,Jacfab Extendolator manifold spacers,K+N Typhoon cai, Dynomax Valvetech axle back exhaust, Elite E-2 Catch Can, Jet stage two performance modual
Kenny Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 04:44 PM   #10
littlewing57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Camaro View Post
What area of Michigan do you live in?
I live in Dansville. About 30 minutes north of Chelsea. You?
Old 03-25-2017, 06:20 PM   #11
Kenny Camaro

Drives: 2013 1LT RS Camaro
Quote:
I live in Dansville. About 30 minutes north of Chelsea. You?
In the Brighton area. There's a garage near me that does dyno tuning that specializes in Chevy performance. I haven't used them but I've heard from one of my friends that they tuned his brothers car. It's called Vector Motor Sports. Their website is- The car guy's garage. Com. Just south of M-59 and US-23 on old US-23.
K.C.'s ported Overkill 80mm TB, K.C.'s ported intake manifold,Jacfab Extendolator manifold spacers,K+N Typhoon cai, Dynomax Valvetech axle back exhaust, Elite E-2 Catch Can, Jet stage two performance modual

Last edited by Kenny Camaro; 03-25-2017 at 06:31 PM.
Kenny Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote