Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 07-24-2017, 11:33 AM   #1
fldrummer
"Black Ace"

Drives: Supercharged 2010 SS, 2016 Golf R
Engine tick--lifters or something worse?

So recently, I took my Camaro to a different shop (Jay Healy at KraftWorks) to see if he could figure out my hot start issue and check my tune. He was alarmed though when he heard this noise though and decided not to go further, thinking it could be rod bearings!?...

https://youtu.be/dbMhar0EW4Q

Trouble is, I have <7k miles on this rebuilt & forged LS3--cam was new also, along with new lifters & trays. I also recently had a trunion upgrade done, along with new .660-lift BTR valve spings. 'Ran 2 rounds of BTR-30 Oil for break-in and have had 2 LS-30 oil changes since.

Jay also removed and cut open the oil filter and found several small (and I mean tiny, dust-like size) metal flakes on it and recommended taking it to the engine builder to be safe and get his opinion. So, I drove it up to them (Total Engine Concepts--63 miles, round-trip), gently, of course. Mike, the owner, came out, listened to it, and immediately said it's just valvetrain noise and that some cams and lifters are just noisier than others. He also inspected the filter and concluded the metal flakes were aluminum and also not uncommon. He doesn't seem to think it's anything to be alarmed about. My oil pressure was good the entire trip up and back also...

I don't know though. Should I bite the bullet and have the lifters and cam inspected? Drop the oil pan and have the rod bearings inspected? Or should I roll the dice and have him go ahead and put it on the dyno as-is?
Mods: Forged 416 LS3, Maggie TVS 2300 SC (~11 psi), custom cam (232/247, .630/.630, 118 LSA), 90-lb. injectors, ZL1 fuel pump & ADM controller, Alky Control meth kit, Monster LT1-SC twin-disk clutch, ZL1 drivetrain conversion w/ DSS 1000-HP axles & 1-pc. driveshaft, CAI Inc. intake w/ ADM scoop, XS Power full exhaust (1 7/8" LT headers with 3" off-road pipes), VMAX CNC-ported TB, LSR adjustable sway bars, LPE rear end-links, BMR 1" drop, BMR polyurethane bushings; UMI trailing arms & toe rods. Built & tuned by Kraftworks. 755 rwhp/708 rwtq
fldrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:41 AM   #2
fldrummer
"Black Ace"

Also, before the rebuild, I had a lifter failure that resulted in a chirping noise, but that was at 70k miles--the last 35K with cam swap and last 9K of that with the Maggie, running Mobile-1 the entire time (before I knew any better):

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341823
Mods: Forged 416 LS3, Maggie TVS 2300 SC (~11 psi), custom cam (232/247, .630/.630, 118 LSA), 90-lb. injectors, ZL1 fuel pump & ADM controller, Alky Control meth kit, Monster LT1-SC twin-disk clutch, ZL1 drivetrain conversion w/ DSS 1000-HP axles & 1-pc. driveshaft, CAI Inc. intake w/ ADM scoop, XS Power full exhaust (1 7/8" LT headers with 3" off-road pipes), VMAX CNC-ported TB, LSR adjustable sway bars, LPE rear end-links, BMR 1" drop, BMR polyurethane bushings; UMI trailing arms & toe rods. Built & tuned by Kraftworks. 755 rwhp/708 rwtq
Old 07-24-2017, 02:04 PM   #3
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
Send an oil sample to Blackstone. They will tell you exactly what metals are in there, their concentrations, and give you a narrative explaining exactly what they think they see going on. If the oil is fresh, the analysis may not be as thorough. Give them a call and ask.
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 02:26 PM   #4
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Does the sound increase with revs? Sounds pretty loud, but that could be placement of the camera.

It does sound pretty constant like a lifter that isn't pumping up but who knows. Have you pulled valve covers to see if there's a bad spring?
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 02:42 PM   #5
mrimpala02

Drives: Black 2SS RS w/White Stripes
I'm with xc_SS/RS it sounds a lot like a lifter issue. I had a lifter failure last year and had a similar sound. I had about 20,000 miles on my car when it happened. It took out the cam and one lifter, but all else was good.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=471435

I got my cam right before comp cams had a several bad cams so I'm really not sure if the cam took out the lifter or the other way around. I decided to go with a cam motion cam just in case this time around.

I recommend looking at your valve springs and if nothing bite the bullet and pull the heads to look at the lifters. You have too much vested in it to ignore that noise. Could get a lot worse! Also send oil off to Blackstone.
Pat G Custom Turbo CamMotion Camshaft | AGP TT BB Garrett 62/65's | AGP/Fore Triple Pumps | ID1700X Injectors | Alky Control Twin Nozzle Meth | Custom 3" Exhaust | 3.27 gear set w/ Tru Trac | McLeod Twin RXT | Barton Short Throw Shifter | 6th Gen ZL1 Wheels | BMR 1.4" drop springs | Pfadt rear trailing arms & tie rods |

Installed by Me & Tuned by Pat G
mrimpala02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 03:15 PM   #6
fldrummer
"Black Ace"

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
Does the sound increase with revs? Sounds pretty loud, but that could be placement of the camera.

It does sound pretty constant like a lifter that isn't pumping up but who knows. Have you pulled valve covers to see if there's a bad spring?
This appears to be the same sound that was pointed out by the shop that did my work, the last time I picked it up from them (it might be louder now, but I'm not quite sure). They suggested (as did the engine builder) then that I might want to switch to a heavier oil, as these rebuilt motors don't have the same tight tolerances (if that's the right term) as stock motors...

I did have another mechanic pull the valve covers to check the springs a few months ago and he said everything looked good, though I was not present to witness it myself.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:39 PM   #7
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
That sounds exactly like a rod bearing. (Been there with my last camaro) Though microphone placement could be fooling me. I expect a "tick" from a lifter to be a much higher pitched tone. From what I hear, yours sounds like a deep "thunk" tone.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 04:41 PM   #8
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fldrummer View Post
This appears to be the same sound that was pointed out by the shop that did my work, the last time I picked it up from them (it might be louder now, but I'm not quite sure). They suggested (as did the engine builder) then that I might want to switch to a heavier oil, as these rebuilt motors don't have the same tight tolerances (if that's the right term) as stock motors...

I did have another mechanic pull the valve covers to check the springs a few months ago and he said everything looked good, though I was not present to witness it myself.
I'd pull the valve covers (or have a shop do this) and check the springs personally to see if anything is out of the ordinary now. If that all checks out and the noise exists you're gonna have to pull the head and inspect the lifters.

In the mean time I'd get an oil sample to Blackstone so you know for sure what the flakes are. I'm sure someone with a little more expertise will chime in, but my initial thought is bad lifter.

On the hard starts: check all power and ground connections in the engine bay. Clean up your ground contacts and clean the positive contact at the starter. I found a ground wire wasn't grounded properly and the positive cable connection to my starter was heavily corroded. Fixed all that and she hasn't had a hard start since.
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 05:30 PM   #9
hunter1660

Drives: 2011ss/rs camaro
If the engine builder says it's fine an warranties it...Drive it like you stole it
Old 07-24-2017, 07:05 PM   #10
UNRIVALED SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Send a message via Yahoo to UNRIVALED SS
Drive it. Send in the oil sample. It could an exhuast leak, lifter, rod bearing. Usually you lose some pressure on hearing issues but it depends.
UNRIVALED SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:44 PM   #11
TRC-SS
700RWHP-650TQ

Drives: 2011 Forged LS3 Supercharged/Cammed
That doesn't sound "normal".......
Old 07-26-2017, 02:08 AM   #12
booneSS13

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS LS3
Not to be the bringer of bad news but I had a sound kind of similar to that after a shop did my heads/cam install and I thought it was a lifter. I did a few passes at the track and went up in a cloud of smoke that came from the tailpipes on the last pass . the sound got worse so I took it home, pulled the heads and found 3 broken pistons

That may not be the case for you but honestly It's really all just guessing and speculation until you at least pull the heads off.

Here's a sound clip:
https://youtu.be/V8s3VQqTNe8

-Fastlane Cold Air Intake, NPP cat back exhaust, Stainless Works LT Headers, 2r max camshaft, Stage 3 Ported Heads (Manley Stainless steel values, titanium retainers, dual valve springs, bronze guides), Wiseco Forged Pistons, K1 Forged Rods, Clevite Bearings, Factory Crankshaft, Comp Cams rocker arm trunion kit, Morel 5315 lifters, JP performance single billet timing chain, Melling oil pump, Spec stage 3+ clutch and flywheel, BMR trailing arms, Nitto 555r 305/35/20.

Last edited by booneSS13; 07-26-2017 at 02:22 AM.
booneSS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:16 AM   #13
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
If your tuner can't tell the difference between lifter noise and rod bearings, you have the wrong tuner.
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:31 AM   #14
BiggFoot

Drives: 2010 Camaro (M6) 1000+ HP SBE
I would be asking the first shop about the rebuild warranty to see where you stand and explain what is going on. If you haven't had that noise all along then something is wrong. Mine is "noisy" but it has always been that way. Yours does not sound normal to me, but a video doesn't paint the whole picture. Good luck and please keep us posted.
Kooks LT Headers and full 3" exhaust
Fore Triple Pump Fuel System with ID 1700X Injectors - E85 conversion

DSS 9” Conversion (1400 hp axles, driveshaft, pumpkin) & Strange 3.70 gears
McLeod RXT Twin HD Clutch & Upgraded Slave
RPM Level VII
TR6060
BMR Drag Suspension Package w/Strange shocks
Carlyle 15" and M/T ET Street R radials
10.1 @ 143 mph 1/4 mile

BiggFoot is offline   Reply With Quote