Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 05-29-2015, 11:04 PM   #15
mbowen89

Drives: 2015 CRT 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendall421 View Post
I have done the following at a very reasonable cost:
AFR Shorty headers (purchased used here on C5)
Solo HF cats (purchased used here on C5)
Bo White Ported TB.
CAI with APEX scoop.

Chassis Dyno pull (no tune!) Resulted at 415hp and 398 torque.
I have Doug Thorley Tri-Y headers and catless pipes in the shop to replace the AFR and Solo parts this winter. Then will get a Dyno tune. But very happy with my choice of bolt on upgrades to date.
How long have you been running the headers and cats with no tune, especially with all the intake mods? No CELs or hard running?
mbowen89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 12:56 PM   #16
rc330

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
When you guys say I should do the head, are you referring to like valves, rockers, springs, etc?

Also, I read somewhere that if you use a ported throttle body, it won't run as rich (since it's obviously allowing more air), but would that also mean that I would that signature exhaust popping when decelerating? Because I LOVE that popping lol
rc330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 12:57 PM   #17
rc330

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbowen89 View Post
How long have you been running the headers and cats with no tune, especially with all the intake mods? No CELs or hard running?
I'm curious. Why would you need a tune when modding headers and cats?

Sorry, still pretty new to modding.
Old 06-01-2015, 01:20 PM   #18
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
A ported TB is designed to improve throttle response. The TB blade remain the same diameter as does the center of the TB. Bigger - Same Size - Bigger. It doesn't flow more air, it changes how the air flows because the size of the blade and orifice around it do not change.

Adding header and high flow cats changes the volume of the air that passes through the engine by reducing back pressure. To realize the full benefits of increased air flow the ecu should be adjusted, tuned.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 01:21 PM   #19
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
JPSS LS7 with a Z/28 Light Suspension would make a nice package. Then we gut the interior, add a cage, drysump, fire suppression system, Forgeline GA3R 19x11 and 19x11.5 with 315/30/19 A6s.

What do you think?
that's one hell of a <8k build Pete!
Old 06-01-2015, 01:24 PM   #20
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Corvette View Post
that's one hell of a <8k build Pete!
$8K?

I thought it was $80K

Heads, cam, BIG oil cooler and tune matched up with Z/28 Light
Old 06-01-2015, 02:35 PM   #21
rc330

Quote:
A ported TB is designed to improve throttle response. The TB blade remain the same diameter as does the center of the TB. Bigger - Same Size - Bigger. It doesn't flow more air, it changes how the air flows because the size of the blade and orifice around it do not change.

Adding header and high flow cats changes the volume of the air that passes through the engine by reducing back pressure. To realize the full benefits of increased air flow the ecu should be adjusted, tuned.

Ok. I actually didn't know that. I thought a ported throttle body had a larger diameter throughout. That's for explaining that to me.

Also, what exactly would need to be tuned in the ECU to take advantage or increased air flow? In naturally aspirated cars, isn't air/fuel ratio the only thing you can really change?
Old 06-01-2015, 02:46 PM   #22
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Im thinking on headers, heads, and a cam too. I would like 100 more HP as well....and on a happy note, i just paid off my car
Old 06-01-2015, 03:14 PM   #23
1sick_eg

Drives: 14 Camaro 1LE,328i, and some Hondas
Best bang for your buck is going to be a simple cam swap, headers, and tune. If you've got the money, send your heads off to FRH to get them ported. The stock heads flow so well, a simple cam swap does extremely well. Generally 465whp-490whp depending on specs just from bolt-ons and a cam.
1sick_eg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 03:44 PM   #24
rc330

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sick_eg View Post
Best bang for your buck is going to be a simple cam swap, headers, and tune. If you've got the money, send your heads off to FRH to get them ported. The stock heads flow so well, a simple cam swap does extremely well. Generally 465whp-490whp depending on specs just from bolt-ons and a cam.
The only thing that worries me about getting aftermarket cams is the sound. This is my daily driver, so I don't want it to be too loud. I don't mind if it's loud at idle or while accelerating. But since I do a lot of highway driving, I really don't want to get a lot of drone or noise while cruising.

Does anyone have any experience with aftermarket cams and drone/noise during highway cruising?
Old 06-01-2015, 03:53 PM   #25
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc330 View Post
The only thing that worries me about getting aftermarket cams is the sound. This is my daily driver, so I don't want it to be too loud. I don't mind if it's loud at idle or while accelerating. But since I do a lot of highway driving, I really don't want to get a lot of drone or noise while cruising.

Does anyone have any experience with aftermarket cams and drone/noise during highway cruising?
Skip the headers and stay stock on the exhaust. This isn't the last century when replacing factory exhaust killed performance. There are gains with headers and high flow cats, but they may not be worth the trade off to you. Go with a quality CAI, heads, cam and tune. They will deliver what you are asking for and more and allow you to enjoy your cruising in relative quiet
Old 06-02-2015, 12:08 AM   #26
CrystalRedTintcoat

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE NPP GBE
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc330 View Post
I'm curious. Why would you need a tune when modding headers and cats?

Sorry, still pretty new to modding.

Yes. You don't want too run too lean or you could have detonation.

-CRT

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
CrystalRedTintcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 12:18 AM   #27
CrystalRedTintcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerspeed92 View Post
Im thinking on headers, heads, and a cam too. I would like 100 more HP as well....and on a happy note, i just paid off my car

Mark, Do it but think about or should I say plan for two things ...

1. Remember orange crush and the cam and heads that caused his engine to blow. Yes, he and the shop split the repair 50/50 but I'd go with a cam and heads that are in 1000s of cars and not one that some dude calculated in his shop just for me unless he's built 100s of race cars, not loping street cats. People here laugh at me to wanting the Chevy performance dynamic duo which yield only 40hp and a conceivably high price. But call me risk averse i trust the red bow tie group who focus on performed all day over the local shop owner who isn't cranking out race cars. I do believe there are trustworthy third parties. Check with JP and JRE.

2. With the extra HP and torque (don't forget to increase the torque too) noodle on what else will become you next weakest link and fortify that too. Are you going to need Bette ralf shafts, traction bars/sway bars, etc?

3. Totally unrelated but if you don't have a HANS yet spend your next $600 on that. No need to snap the neck while your body is nice and cozy in the five point. Just saying. That was three not two! ;-)

-CRT

Old 06-02-2015, 12:21 AM   #28
CrystalRedTintcoat

Engine Mods For 1LE?

Quote:
Skip the headers and stay stock on the exhaust. This isn't the last century when replacing factory exhaust killed performance. There are gains with headers and high flow cats, but they may not be worth the trade off to you. Go with a quality CAI, heads, cam and tune. They will deliver what you are asking for and more and allow you to enjoy your cruising in relative quiet

Fwiw I did the opposite. I'm not disagreeing with you by saying this, rather i am stating what I did.

Shorty CARB approved headers and high flow cats. CAI was already there. Went from 411hp and 400tq to 437hp and 424tq. Not great. Not bad. I'd imagine that headers and a cam would've done more.

The car is insanely loud now. Thank god for the Sunset Orange Exhaust Commander which I use to quiet it down.

-CRT