Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 05-23-2011, 10:12 AM   #1
Markwrench

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS ord 7-7-10 home8-24-10
'11 2SS automatic transmission fluid change

If anyone is interested, I changed the Dexron VI out on my baby this weekend and am happy to share the experience. I wanted to switch to Amsoil low viscosity fluid. I have access to a lift and imo that makes this job a lot simpler. I first removed the 15mm drain plug from the rear of the pan and I'd say 2-3 quarts drained out. From there, the 10 mm bolts come out easily and the reuseable pan gasket separated cleanly. I let the remaining fluid drip while I wiped the magnet and pan clean. More stuff on the magnet than I would like to have seen. Replaced the pan, torqued the pan bolts to 80 in/lbs, and used a Mighty Vac to push about 6.5 quarts of new fluid back into the bottom drain bolt. I started the engine and while holdng the brake went through each range for several seconds. I used the trans temp guage to tell when it was warm enough (between 86-122' F) to check the level. You check level by removing the bolt in the pan again with the engine on and adding fluid until it just runs out. Reinstall bolt to 18 ft/lbs. Wipe excess, check for pan leaks and done.

I will say the shift characteristics seem crisper, especially 1-2 upshift with paddles under load.

Hope this helps.
Markwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:58 PM   #2
Camarowguy

Drives: 2011 imperial blue SS, black 92 RS
Wow, this trans does not have a dipstick?
2004 5.7 GTO 78mm turbo
Camarowguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:45 PM   #3
ssummit camaro

Drives: 2013 1LE on order TPW 12/31
no sir, no dipsticks on these cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarowguy View Post
Old 05-23-2011, 02:17 PM   #4
Camarowguy

Drives: 2011 imperial blue SS, black 92 RS
WTF? What kind of crap is that? Gm
2004 5.7 GTO 78mm turbo
Camarowguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 06:34 PM   #5
CyberDan

Drives: 1SS Camaro
Nice write up... I'm wanting to put royal purple in my l99 transmission, but I'm hesitant due to lack of experience.
CAI Cold Air Intake, VMax CNC TB, Borla Sport Catback Exhaust, EE Oil Catch Can, Eibach Sway Bars and Drop Springs, AAC concept side markers, stealth signal bulbs, Heritage grille, Sparks Restorations front and rear modern SS emblems
CyberDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:09 PM   #6
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberDan View Post
Nice write up... I'm wanting to put royal purple in my l99 transmission, but I'm hesitant due to lack of experience.
Plus, you have to remember that you are only getting about half of the fluid out unless you drain the TC (ours don't have drains either!), so mixing may not be a good idea...
Old 07-13-2011, 09:15 PM   #7
horizon670

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2LT / RS / Auto
so how do you completely drain the fluid from it then ?

Did you have to unbolt the pan completely ? or is there a way to pump it out ?
horizon670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:58 PM   #8
NavyDood
Retired Navy

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markwrench View Post
If anyone is interested, I changed the Dexron VI out on my baby this weekend and am happy to share the experience. I wanted to switch to Amsoil low viscosity fluid. I have access to a lift and imo that makes this job a lot simpler. I first removed the 15mm drain plug from the rear of the pan and I'd say 2-3 quarts drained out. From there, the 10 mm bolts come out easily and the reuseable pan gasket separated cleanly. I let the remaining fluid drip while I wiped the magnet and pan clean. More stuff on the magnet than I would like to have seen. Replaced the pan, torqued the pan bolts to 80 in/lbs, and used a Mighty Vac to push about 6.5 quarts of new fluid back into the bottom drain bolt. I started the engine and while holdng the brake went through each range for several seconds. I used the trans temp guage to tell when it was warm enough (between 86-122' F) to check the level. You check level by removing the bolt in the pan again with the engine on and adding fluid until it just runs out. Reinstall bolt to 18 ft/lbs. Wipe excess, check for pan leaks and done.

I will say the shift characteristics seem crisper, especially 1-2 upshift with paddles under load.

Hope this helps.
I self admit that I am a firm believer in Amsoil products and their capabilites over anything on the market (I'm not a dealer), but there is no reason to run Amsoil over DEX6. Same goes for running Amsoil ATF over Mopar ATF+4. DEX6 is a great fluid that was initially formulated just for the 6L80. DEX6 has a 6.5 cSt @ 100°C while Amsoil Low Viscosity has a rating of 6.0 cSt @ 100°C. That .5 is not going to make a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarowguy View Post
Nope. Lokar makes one though for the 6L80.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
Plus, you have to remember that you are only getting about half of the fluid out unless you drain the TC (ours don't have drains either!), so mixing may not be a good idea...
Mixing doesn't hurt a thing other than you won't get the full benefits from one fluid or another. Amsoil and DEX6 are fully compatible.
NavyDood is offline   Reply With Quote