Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-23-2013, 10:50 PM   #29
Nutro

Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green
One of the handful of things I hate about these cars is the all in one keyfob and key. I want to install a badass Viper alarm but NOOOOOO the smart guys at GM say otherwise.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:06 AM   #30
Rocky1974

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS M6 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by pr3dict View Post
Soooo does GM or an aftermarket company make a key and fob separate from each other? I frequently have to drive places and run in for only a few seconds and would hate to have to turn the car on/off every time I do that. So what I usually do is keep key in ignition and use a quick release key chain and take the fob with me and lock the car...

ALSO, and this is a big one, I am a firefighter and there are many times in the middle of the night that I have to get up and drive to the firehouse (rather quickly) and then park the car and jump on a truck. It kills me to start the car up beat the **** out of it and then turn it off in a matter of 3 minutes. So what I normally do is when I get to my destination I keep the car on and lock it because calls are usually only a matter of 1/2 hour so I'd rather keep my car idling for a half hour then turn it on and off so quick like that. Also a lot of the time someone will take my key from from my locker and turn the car off for me if I'm gone for an extended period of time...

Any suggestions?
I don't think this would work on this car even if you had separate keys and key FOB. I think the key FOB has to be in the car in order for it to run. When I bought extra keys for my car, they wouldn't start it until I programmed them. I also think that once you start the car with one key FOB, all the other ones become disabled. I've tried to unlock the passenger door on my car with an extra key FOB while it's running and it didn't work. I don't think I've tried this in my Camaro, but every GM vehicle I've had for about 15 years, the drivers door power door lock is disabled if there's a key in the ignition to prevent you from locking up your keys in the car.
2010 RJT 2SS M6, Kooks Long Tubes, NPP Exhaust, CAI Cold Air w/Jannetty Scoop, RotoFab Washer Bottle, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MGW Shifter w/ZL1 Shaft and Knob, 2015 SS Sedan Steering Wheel and Air Bag, 2012 Heater Hose Conversion, 2012 Power Seat Conversion, RS Head Lights,Gen5DIY RS Conversion Harness, LED Fog Lamp Bulbs, Backup Camera Kit, NLP Spoiler, SLP Splitter, ZL1 Rockers and Diffuser, Color Matched Shark Fin, RS Roof Mouldings, Painted White Stripes, WCC LS3 Emblems, Heritage Grille and Blacked Out Tail Light Panel w/Retro SS Emblems, 416 RWHP, 411 RWT, Tuned by BlueCat.
Rocky1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:41 AM   #31
flyinlow

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky1974 View Post
I don't think this would work on this car even if you had separate keys and key FOB. I think the key FOB has to be in the car in order for it to run. When I bought extra keys for my car, they wouldn't start it until I programmed them. I also think that once you start the car with one key FOB, all the other ones become disabled. I've tried to unlock the passenger door on my car with an extra key FOB while it's running and it didn't work. I don't think I've tried this in my Camaro, but every GM vehicle I've had for about 15 years, the drivers door power door lock is disabled if there's a key in the ignition to prevent you from locking up your keys in the car.
I tried this on our Avalanche yesterday. With the key in the ignition and the vehicle running, I was able to lock and unlock the doors with the fob. With the vehicle turned off but key in the ignition, I could lock the doors with the fob but then the drivers door immediately unlocked.
flyinlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:44 AM   #32
baum

Drives: 2013 1LS, 2013 Ram 1500
Get an aftermarket remote start. yes i know you said you have an M6 but there are many remote starts out there that work with manuals.

you put it into "reservation" mode. keeps the car running and you pull the keys out!
baum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:04 PM   #33
Rocky1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinlow View Post
I tried this on our Avalanche yesterday. With the key in the ignition and the vehicle running, I was able to lock and unlock the doors with the fob. With the vehicle turned off but key in the ignition, I could lock the doors with the fob but then the drivers door immediately unlocked.
Ok, I just tried this on the Camaro. Mine's a 2010 and I have 3 key FOBs. First I tried all 3 and they all locked and unlocked the doors, but as soon as I inserted any 1 of the 3 into the ignition switch, the other 2 became disabled. I didn't even have to turn the key, just insert it into the switch. With a key in the switch I could lock the doors with the power door lock button, but if I held the drivers door open, it would lock, but immediately unlock. But back to the OP's question, I was able to lock the car up running, by using a second key to manually lock the drivers door. So he can do what he wants to do by carrying a second key, leave the car running, lock the passenger door with the power door locks and then use his spare key to lock the driver's door.
2010 RJT 2SS M6, Kooks Long Tubes, NPP Exhaust, CAI Cold Air w/Jannetty Scoop, RotoFab Washer Bottle, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MGW Shifter w/ZL1 Shaft and Knob, 2015 SS Sedan Steering Wheel and Air Bag, 2012 Heater Hose Conversion, 2012 Power Seat Conversion, RS Head Lights,Gen5DIY RS Conversion Harness, LED Fog Lamp Bulbs, Backup Camera Kit, NLP Spoiler, SLP Splitter, ZL1 Rockers and Diffuser, Color Matched Shark Fin, RS Roof Mouldings, Painted White Stripes, WCC LS3 Emblems, Heritage Grille and Blacked Out Tail Light Panel w/Retro SS Emblems, 416 RWHP, 411 RWT, Tuned by BlueCat.

Last edited by Rocky1974; 06-24-2013 at 09:01 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:54 PM   #34
pr3dict
O_o

Drives: '14 AGM 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky1974 View Post
Ok, I just tried this on the Camaro. Mine's a 2010 and I have 3 key FOBs. First I tried all 3 and they all locked and unlocked the doors, but as soon as I inserted any 1 of the 3 into the ignition switch, the other 2 became disabled. I didn't even have to turn the key, just insert it into the switch. With a key in the switch I could lock the doors with the power door lock button, but if I held the drivers door open, it would lock, but immediately unlock. But back to the OP's question, I was able to lock the car up running, by using a second key to manually lock the drivers door. So he can do what he wants to do by carrying a second key, leave the car running, lock the passenger door with the power door locks and then use his spare key to lock the driver's door.
Wow, thanks for going through that detailed test. I have to decide on what I want to do but I'm glad I have options now.
pr3dict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:52 AM   #35
Rocky1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr3dict View Post
Wow, thanks for going through that detailed test. I have to decide on what I want to do but I'm glad I have options now.
No problem, I wanted to know myself. I like to know how my car works. It keeps me from doing stupid stuff!