Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Motorsports Discussions

Old 08-08-2013, 10:24 PM   #1
CamaroJoe96

Drives: 2013 Full Bolt on LFX M6
Thumbs up First time at the strip. NEED HELP!

Hello fellow Camaro brothers, this is mt first time posting in this section on this amazing forum!
Today was my first day at the drag strip, which is US 41 drag strip in Morocco Indiana. Allow me to share my experience and ask for answers to my questions!
I have a full bolt on LFX camaro, which includes an axle back exhaust, CAI, high flow cats, and a Hurst short throw shifter. Accompanying that is a heavy set of 20' wheels, which is much heavier than the steelies.
Judging by my mods, I was hoping for low 14 second quarter mile times, and if i was lucky, possibly high 13's Due to the fact that it was my first time at the strip, I knew I would have to make a couple passes to get the hang of it, the proper clutch release along with correct rpm. My first couple passes I was around the 15.5 mark at around 90mph. When I started to launch it properly without bogging it (at least i felt i was doing it properly in my mind, but i know i probably wasn't ) I was setting consistent 15 flat times at 93mph.
I found the sweet spot was to launch at 2500 rpm and smoothly but quickly release the clutch, and gently squeezing the gas until i gained traction. My TC was off, and i took it to redline everytime before i shifted. But sadly, I just couldn't break that 15 second mark
Note: I didn't do a burnout, didn't lower my tire pressure in the rear, and the humidity was around 85%. I know none of these things really had a great impact on my times, i believe I'm just a crappy driver
On my last couple passes, I finally started to figure something out. Isn't that how it always works? I know it is in golf I started shifting around 6k rpm on my 2nd to 3rd shift, instead of 7k. The first time i did this, i ran a 14.97! Made me happy, but still miserable right?
On my last and final pass, I decided to challenge a supercharged miata which was running high to mid 14's. So for this race, i took my golf clubs out of the trunk, i don't even know why i had them in there anyways and ran a 14.56 at 94mph with the 6k shiftand beat him by a few tenths
It was a really good night and I had the most fun i've had in a long time, now i just need to work on my launching! Have any tips for me fellow drag racers? I would greatly appreciate it!
Joe
*Here's a link to one of my passes*
http://youtu.be/xyV3-V8VKjo
Old 08-09-2013, 01:21 AM   #2
lpar1969

Drives: 2014 1SS NPP 1LE
I am assuming this is an v8. If so, take off traction control and use launch control for manual. Also, adjust tire pressure in rear tires to about 22 psi
lpar1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:50 AM   #3
CamaroJoe96

Drives: 2013 Full Bolt on LFX M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpar1969 View Post
I am assuming this is an v8. If so, take off traction control and use launch control for manual. Also, adjust tire pressure in rear tires to about 22 psi
Thanks for your help buddy!
Old 09-09-2013, 12:10 PM   #4
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Judging by the picture of the front of the car it is a v6?

Post your time slip and we can analyze it.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:36 PM   #5
45thAnniversary2SS

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS LS3
LFX = V6
Old 09-09-2013, 12:38 PM   #6
45thAnniversary2SS

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpar1969 View Post
You use launch control on a LS3? I was spinning my ass off this weekend launching at a little over 2k, surely 3500 (launch control) would be way too much right?

With slicks or street tires?

Maybe it was just the track I was at though.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:43 PM   #7
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
High 13's probably won't happen even in nice cool weather with basically an intake. The rest of your bolt ons add Very little. Drop rear tires to 26 to 28 and raise fronts to 40.Drive around the water. Back up just to the edge and do a small burnout just until you see the first bit of smoke to clean up your stockers and put a little heat to them.

Vary your launches to find your sweet spot. Shift before you hit redline obviously so you aren't on the dog end of your power band.

Rinse, repeat until you find your sweet spot.

In hot weather and nasty humidity with your mods. 14.5 would be good and you hit it so i's be happy with that until better weather.

Last edited by daveagogo1; 09-10-2013 at 10:34 PM.
daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:16 PM   #8
Zeus95

Drives: IOM 2010 - 2SS/RS
I have only dragged mine twice, so I really can't help. But let me know when you go again and i will tag along with you. I head that way almost every Friday night. I sent you a PM.
2010 2SS/RS IOM Upgrades: Fastlane CAI / SLP II Loudmouth axle back / V Max Ported TB / Kook's Step Long Tube Headers / High flow cats / Straightline Tune / BMR front & rear sway bars / Hotchkin End Links / Hurst Short Throw. LG ZR28 Wheels 1 of 2 sets made. Pfadt trailing arms / Diff Bushings & Sub Frame bushings / 1LE Axle & Hubs.
Zeus95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:22 PM   #9
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
On an SS, you want all nannies OFF! Don't use launch control. Tires @ 32psi.

LFX? I have no idea.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:24 PM   #10
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Welcome to the forum...

I am also a V6 owner and hopefully I can help you out. I've got a lot of knowledge stored up so allow me to share.

First off I see you are running aftermarket 20" rims right? Are those the Kilis rims? yes those are heavier than even the stock 20" SS/RS rims and so that is hurting your time somewhat. I'd guess they are adding a tenth or two to your overall time for sure.

Are you running a tune? I'm guessing not, since tunes are just now starting to become available for the 2013. I hear EFI Live, IPF, and maybe even HP tuners either already have tunes available, or will soon. The LFX responds well to tunes....roughly 15 HP gain so I feel a tune is worth it.

So, you started off with a 15.5 and by the end you ran a 14.56. That is nearly a full second improvement, which in 1/4 mile racing is HUGE. Good job! Considering that the humidy was high, and the temps were a bit warm AND you have heavy rims, that 14.56 really isn't that bad. You have to realize, that where you track you car makes a huge difference in the times possible. In great weather at sea level, the SS V8 is capable of sub 13 second times. At other tracks with high elevation and/or hot temps, they can struggle to get much better than a high 13. Search google for a "DA Calculator" which can help tell you what you may have ran at sea level.

With your simple mods, your car should still be pushing around 340+ HP. Look at it this way. You car IS capable of a high 13/low 14 second time, but everything is going to have to be just right. The launch is going to have to be good, your shifting is going to have to be good, and the weather/temps will need to be good. There are guys that have run under 14 seconds in a V6 with JUST an intake, but they also ran in places were the DA was in the negative range....which makes this V6 very happy!

It sounds like you are getting the launch down. Launch at high enough rpm to get a little scratch off the launch and then get it on. TC off. (if you were an automatic...I'd tell you to leave it on)

If you can, lower the air pressure in your tires to around 30ish...some go to the high 20s psi. Don't be afraid to spin the tires and get some heat in them for the launch (again...if you want). Remove any extra weight (golf clubs! lol)

Best of luck!
Old 10-22-2013, 05:25 PM   #11
WHAMMO

Drives: 13' 1LE
By watching your vid, I think you could bang the shifter faster and harder. That could lower your times. I heard that getting a tune for the LFX do wonders. Lastly, your rims are killing you; there killing the SS times and 0-60, so its even worst for V6 that has less torq in a heavy car.

Congrats on cutting a full second on your time!

Old setup: TSP 231-236/Tick 660/.105 PR, UDP, SW LT 2'' & HFC, stock NPP & H pipe, VR-DRX CAI, air scoop, Goertz1 manifold, 102mm BBK, 26" Toyo DRs, Forgestars R17x10 & F18x8, rear seat delete, remote Pat G tune Autocal, 7400 limiter, Spec Mini Twin. 91oct. 11.90@122.3, 0-60ft 2.0 / 11.99@123.6, 0-60ft 2.1 DA+819 ...519RWHP SAE

Solid roller SBE LS3, FED, LLSR, 91oct, 605rwhp N/A. Tuned by Pat G. Build by me.
WHAMMO is offline   Reply With Quote