Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 05-11-2017, 09:47 PM   #1
Iowa1LE

Drives: 2014 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Boston Premium Audio Observations

I know many people have complained about the quality of the Boston Acoustics stereo system, and initially when I bought my 2014 SS 1LE in November, I thought it didn't sound very good either. So I did some digging and some trial and error. Well, I would like to report back that I think it sounds pretty damn good! That is, under the right circumstances.

First of all, with no CD player in my car, I had no way to quick test how a high quality audio file sounds through the system. Then I read about how XM Radio, is actually pretty poor quality, and with no good terrestrial stations in my area, I looked toward MP3's. Well, after some more reading, I found out all of my MP3 and AAC audio files are garbage quality too. It turns out that when I import music from a CD to iTunes I needed select a better audio file format. I chose ALAC Apple Lossless, because the file is smaller than a FLAC/WAV file, but essentially keeps all of the quality from the original CD file, as in higher highs, and lower lows.

So anyway, after changing over all of my CD's to ALAC Apple Lossless files, and playing them through my iPhone connected via USB to the Camaro. I think that Boston System sounds pretty damn good! It hits hard and I can discern all the different sounds, and doesn't distort when I crank it way up.

So to sum it up:

-Radio=Garbage
-XM Radio=(while convenient)Garbage
-MP3/AAC=Garbage
ALAC/FLAC/WAV=The Cats Meow!
Iowa1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:05 PM   #2
cnrad

Drives: a wagon
iPhone -> USB -> Spotify -> Extreme Quality = The Bee's Knees!
cnrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 11:20 PM   #3
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
Adding dual 10' subs solved the problem for me...

STUNNAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 02:39 AM   #4
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
Its a pretty good system. Only better stock system I've heard is the Fender system VW offered.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:32 AM   #5
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Its a good system; I found it to be slightly underpowered for my taste. With a high quality audio file, the system exhibits very good clarity and stereo separation. A good aftermarket subwoofer system will really improve the low frequency sound, and round off the sound quality nicely.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 07:58 AM   #6
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Frankly, the Bose system in my Trax LTZ sounds quite a bit better than the Boston Acoustics in my 2010 2SS.

Even the XM sounds better.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:03 AM   #7
5thGenOwner

Drives: 2010 SS
My only complaint is that they decided to make the sub-woofers 6x9s... no one makes 6x9 sub-woofers! Sub-woofers should be round! I blew one of them a year ago, and I didn't want to get fancy with an aftermarket setup, I just wanted to replace the original with something that would do the same job... but you can't! I ended up buying a full original set of the speakers from the marketplace on this forum, so that I could keep my system stock.

Other than that... turning it up to 35-40 and putting on "I'm Broken" by Pantera, sounds pretty damn good.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:03 AM   #8
jergarr

Drives: 11' RJT 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
Frankly, the Bose system in my Trax LTZ sounds quite a bit better than the Boston Acoustics in my 2010 2SS.

Even the XM sounds better.
The Bose in my 03 Tahoe sounds better than my 2011. Im guessing that's why they chose Bose for the 6th gen.
Stainless Power Headers w/cats
Fluidampr 25% UDP
Cold Air Inductions Intake
Bo White Ported Throttle Body
ADM Trans Cooler
Some BMR Goodies
jergarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:54 AM   #9
samman11

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thGenOwner View Post
My only complaint is that they decided to make the sub-woofers 6x9s... no one makes 6x9 sub-woofers! Sub-woofers should be round! I blew one of them a year ago, and I didn't want to get fancy with an aftermarket setup, I just wanted to replace the original with something that would do the same job... but you can't! I ended up buying a full original set of the speakers from the marketplace on this forum, so that I could keep my system stock.

Other than that... turning it up to 35-40 and putting on "I'm Broken" by Pantera, sounds pretty damn good.
I have a convertible, and they used a 10 inch subwoofer between the rear seats. An improvement, no doubt, over the coupe sound system.
samman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:10 AM   #10
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
I'm a guitar player and have been an 'audiophile' for 45 years. And have the crappy hearing to prove it! Don't get me started on why we went from the near pinnacle of audio achievement (last gen CD's where enough bits existed to capture the full audio and harmonic spectrum - not early ones) to the watered-down MP3, etc. Convenient, yes.

And you youngsters are being sold on how vinyl is so much superior. TOTAL BS! It may be superior to a stepped on MP3 but vinyl has serious limitations too. Pops, clicks, warbles, wrong speed and song keys, 'end of side distortion' and many others.

Seriously, my hearing without aids is so bad I am no longer able to be a good sound critic. Boston Acoustic was formerly Advent. GREAT speakers. It's probably been bought and sold many times since then. I like the way my Camaro system sounds. But I can honestly say, only based on my hearing now, that I had systems in my cars going back to the 70's that were equally as good and possibly superior.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:12 AM   #11
kmarshall2121

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by STUNNAH View Post
Adding dual 10' subs solved the problem for me...
where the hell did you buy a 10ft sub??? - and where did you mount it?? LOL
kmarshall2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:19 AM   #12
Arogg
A legend in his own mind

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
I replaced the stock amp and added another amp powering two 12's in the trunk. Im thoroughly content with how the entire system sounds now.

Color matched OEM GFX / VIS Carbon Fiber Hood (absolute trash quality and customer service ) / Heritage Grille / 5% Windows / 30% Windshield tint with 5% visor strip / Tinted Exterior Lights / Streetfighter LA Spoiler / Morimoto XB LED fogs / LED sidemarkers / Airaid CAI / Hurst Short Throw / TSP LT's / No cats / No resonator / Corsa Xtreme Catback / Trifecta Tune / Factory amp replaced / 2 JL Audio 12's in the trunk / MRR 228 Wheels / BMR Springs / Moog Endlinks / R1 Concepts Rotors & Pads
Arogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:20 AM   #13
samman11

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
I'm a guitar player and have been an 'audiophile' for 45 years. And have the crappy hearing to prove it! Don't get me started on why we went from the near pinnacle of audio achievement (last gen CD's where enough bits existed to capture the full audio and harmonic spectrum - not early ones) to the watered-down MP3, etc. Convenient, yes.

And you youngsters are being sold on how vinyl is so much superior. TOTAL BS! It may be superior to a stepped on MP3 but vinyl has serious limitations too. Pops, clicks, warbles, wrong speed and song keys, 'end of side distortion' and many others.

Seriously, my hearing without aids is so bad I am no longer able to be a good sound critic. Boston Acoustic was formerly Advent. GREAT speakers. It's probably been bought and sold many times since then. I like the way my Camaro system sounds. But I can honestly say, based on my hearing now, that I had systems in my cars going back to the 70's that were equally as good and possibly superior.
You don't know what you're talking about in terms of vinyl. I'm 56 and I have listened to both vinyl and CD since 1984. Vinyl is still superior on a properly set-up turntable system. All the negatives you speak of for vinyl are not really sound issues with modern turntables properly set up.
samman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:23 AM   #14
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by samman11 View Post
You don't know what you're talking about in terms of vinyl. I'm 56 and I have listened to both vinyl and CD since 1984. Vinyl is still superior on a properly set-up turntable system. All the negatives you speak of for vinyl are not really sound issues with modern turntables properly set up.
What I said I didn't read somewhere. I LIVED it. Saying vinyl is superior in 2017 is like saying your Magnavox black and white console TV is better than your HD flat screen. Yesterday's technology. Plain and simple. How does your 'modern day' turntable handle scratches?