Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-12-2010, 08:26 PM   #1
Jeanius

Drives: Blk/Blk 2018 Sierra SLT
What happens when..

You punch it with traction control on and it looses traction and kicks in, exactly what does the car do?

I downshifted into 2nd and had it at about 4k RPM's and I floored it the car took off and momentarily stopped like if the fuel supply was cut off, I let off the gas when it happened, tried to reproduce with TCS off and couldnt, didnt try to reproduce with it on again cuz I dont know WTF it was...

TRADED: 2016 2SS M6
Jeanius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:17 PM   #2
Huck1974
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS
Wow and wow.

You answered your own question....and wow
Huck1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:30 PM   #3
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Pretty much... First time I got the TC lurch in the 02 I freaked out, thought somethin was wrong with the car. With that much torque, the car has to take drastic measures to keep the tires hooked up.

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 10:52 PM   #4
Ovenmitt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 RJT 1SS
Send a message via AIM to Ovenmitt
The car can cut fuel, spark, or throttle position at its own discretion. You can tune any of the three out, mine is currently set to only pull spark.
Ovenmitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 11:00 PM   #5
CamaroFTW

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS-Rally Yellow
Send a message via MSN to CamaroFTW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck1974 View Post
Wow and wow.

You answered your own question....and wow
CamaroFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 11:06 PM   #6
Ron66Vette&10SS
Plays with Hot Wheels

Drives: '17 Jet Black ZL1
My guess would be you hit the rev-limiter without noticing.

The rev-limiter on these isn't like rev-limiters of previous LS engines that would "bounce" around red line as long as you kept your foot down. On the 5th Gen, when you hit the rev-limiter and leave your foot on the gas, the engine will fall on it's face until you let off the gas pedal.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:17 PM   #7
ddavis
boostalicious

Drives: Blown Ls3
Hey Jeanus, I have the same thing. If I downshift to a a gear and get on the gas my car will hiccup for a sec or 2 then then go. I can reproduce this pretty much 100% of the time, so I stopped punching it with traction control on. The traction control just gets to wacky especially when you start pushing some good power. If i turn off traction control then the car is much more stronger and happy. I whipped the rearend around one day on a u turn and the car nearly died from the traction control coming in.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:01 AM   #8
Jeanius

Drives: Blk/Blk 2018 Sierra SLT
to the "wow and wow" guys, no reason to be dicks, if I knew what it did I wouldn't have asked the question.

To the rest Thanks for the replys guys, hard to believe I hit the rev limiter that fast, well see if it happens again

TRADED: 2016 2SS M6
Jeanius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 02:16 AM   #9
klatterblast

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ssrs blk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovenmitt View Post
The car can cut fuel, spark, or throttle position at its own discretion. You can tune any of the three out, mine is currently set to only pull spark.
this is true with tc on and it will also do this when the car tries to go sideways with stabilitrac on, turn off both and hang on and drift.

Magnuson TVS2300,ported heads,cam,Hotchkis suspension. Weld 17”s, Mickey Thompson’s.
klatterblast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 02:23 AM   #10
GEEo
OKCamaros

Drives: 4 banger Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanius View Post
to the "wow and wow" guys, no reason to be dicks, if I knew what it did I wouldn't have asked the question.

To the rest Thanks for the replys guys, hard to believe I hit the rev limiter that fast, well see if it happens again
Its probly the rev limiter.

That happend to me too. and after alot of couple of times lol I noticed that I was hitting the rev limiter.

The Camaro takes over your mind when your driving it. that you don't know how fast your going all you know is that you have a big grin in your face. like this
GEEo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 09:47 AM   #11
MillerTime
Blowin the doors off!

Drives: A 2013 SS RS 6M SR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanius View Post
You punch it with traction control on and it looses traction and kicks in, exactly what does the car do?

I downshifted into 2nd and had it at about 4k RPM's and I floored it the car took off and momentarily stopped like if the fuel supply was cut off, I let off the gas when it happened, tried to reproduce with TCS off and couldnt, didnt try to reproduce with it on again cuz I dont know WTF it was...
They weren't being dicks..they were pointing out the fact that you answered your own question when describing what happened. You didn't hit the rev limiter...your TC kicked in.

When it senses that the wheels are slipping, it will reduce power (by pulling timing, fuel, or spark) and then add the maximum amount of power that will allow the car to move forward without losing traction.

2G1FS1EWXD9163847

MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 04:21 PM   #12
Sack Rat 2SS

Drives: Silver SS/RS, Man 6
When it senses that the wheels are slipping, it will reduce power (by pulling timing, fuel, or spark) and then add the maximum amount of power that will allow the car to move forward without losing traction. [/QUOTE]

So, if you are out there "hot doggin it" be sure to turn off BOTH, Traction Control AND Stabilitrack. You will have two small amber lights illuminated acknowledging they are deactivated. If you only turned off TC and the car goes a little sideways then Stabilitrack will kick in and try to maintain car control by doing what TC does and it will apply differential brakes, front and or rear, to keep the car under control. STAB uses the antilock wheel sensors on all four wheels and can apply brakes as needed to affected wheels. If you are driving in rain both TC and STAB are your friends.
Sack Rat 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote