Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-03-2017, 02:43 PM   #1
toro1966

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Convertible 50th
Installing GM Splash Guards

Hey, guys - this is not really a how-to but wanted to share my experience buying and installing these on my 50th. While the instructions are indeed included in other threads, I found that there were some minor tips that could have been useful so I wanted to include them here.

First off, I purchased both front and rears from the below links. That was the cheapest I found. Shipping was quick and they arrived perfectly.

http://www.shopchevyparts.com/advanc...splash&x=0&y=0

I did not have to remove any wheels and was able to install them both front and rear with no major issues. Here are the only tools I used:

The instructions are fairly straightforward, but here are some tips I found. No great knowledge here just things I ran into.
1 - The Thumb screwdriver you see above, with a T15 tip was perfect and enabled me to both remove the screws in the rear and install the screws up front as required. Fit nicely without having to remove the rear wheels. **Edit** Link to the thumb screwdriver I used is here: http://www.sears.com/craftsman-3-pc-...7&blockType=G7
2 - The rears were simple, just remember to slightly pull the red adhesive backing out before you tighten too much. There isn't much excess so if you tighten the screws too much you will have to undo them to get at the adhesive strip.
3 - The fronts were slightly more complicated. Turn the wheels to stop for each side and you will have plenty of room to work. Where it tells you to pull out the liner, to get at the hole behind it, you don't need to pull the whole side of the liner outwards. In fact, it's in there pretty tight and is pretty stiff. so if you are not careful, you can actually bend the fender lip while trying to pull as much out as they say in the instructions. You just need to pull the bottom section out. It will be clear when you go to do it, if I am not being eloquent enough here
4 - The rivets are a bit of a PITA. This is because the rivets go through both pieces (bracket and splash guard) and then are tighten as required. The problem is that the rivet is long enough that to get the rivet head flush with the splash guard, you are pushing the rivet against the liner. It takes a good but of force pushing in while squeezing the handle of the rivet gun.
5 - Make sure you pull a little of the adhesive backing out BEFORE you rivet anything. Similar to what I said for the rears. On one side there was not really enough excess to grab the strip, and I played hell trying to get it after I had riveted the top and bottom rivets as shown in the directions.

Other than that, i think they look great and were not too hard at all to install. Took me about an hour for all of them and I am EXTREMELY retentive. All the best!

Last edited by toro1966; 02-04-2017 at 09:19 AM.
toro1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 02:57 PM   #2
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
Great write up. Thanks.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 03:02 PM   #3
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Good write up. No one should let the dealer do this install. It's easy but It takes some adjusting and patience, being careful when you pull the tape, and it's very easy to get it on lopsided, Like so many dealers do , that don't give a crap about your car.

Last edited by Glen e; 02-03-2017 at 03:29 PM.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 03:27 PM   #4
cmeJATT

Drives: SS-6-SPD
very nice............
cmeJATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 04:08 PM   #5
Mojave
San Diego Head Tuners

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS ,NPP,MagRide, A8
Nice job ! Looks really clean and thanks for the help !
https://www.youtube.com/c/MojaveKY
https://www.instagram.com/mojaveky/
https://twitter.com/MojaveKY
http://dinowax.refr.cc/bryanm 15% off DinoWax orders
Mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 05:02 PM   #6
toro1966

Thanks guys. Just trying to give back to this great site!
Old 02-04-2017, 05:34 AM   #7
solobaric

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
I'm guessing with these that most of the aftermarket rocker panels out there won't work correct?
Old 02-04-2017, 08:13 AM   #8
1LE801
"Lohla"

Drives: 2016 1SS A8 :"Lohla"
I'm about to add these. 285s in front are trashing the waiter panels on my car. Thanks for the write up, OP!
Old 02-04-2017, 09:06 AM   #9
DD goat

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue Camaro 2SS
Thanks for the write-up Toro! The timing is awesome. I just picked these up at the dealer yesterday, and plan to install today!! Where did you get the little thumb screwdriver?
Thanks again!
DD goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 09:15 AM   #10
toro1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD goat View Post
Thanks for the write-up Toro! The timing is awesome. I just picked these up at the dealer yesterday, and plan to install today!! Where did you get the little thumb screwdriver?
Thanks again!
Happy to help! I actually got the thumb screwdriver from Sears...years ago. They are in a pack of three (phillips, straight slot, and hex). The bits are removable so I just popped in the torx and was good to go. Looks like they still have them ironically. Surprised because I bought them so long ago, but they are awesome and I have used them hundreds of times literally. Here's a link.
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-3-pc-...7&blockType=G7
Old 02-04-2017, 05:59 PM   #11
DD goat

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue Camaro 2SS
DD goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:35 AM   #12
Candie
The Go Fahst Girl

Drives: 17 2SS
Send a message via Yahoo to Candie
Thanks to your write up I was able to do this on my own. Appreciate it!
CMRA Novice #904
Team Chasing Danger #91

"Go FAHST or go Home"
Candie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 01:23 PM   #13
enigma
Enigma

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Hyper Blue A10
Thanks for the write up. My front and rear guards came yesterday from shopchevyparts. Installing them on my ZL1 today. Your post will be helpful. I chose the GM painted splash guards because I don't care for the look of the other rock guard options that look like a piece of black plastic stuck on the car. These splash guards are expensive but hopefully worth every penny. I purchased these primary for a rock protection, I will never drive my ZL1 in rail and avoid water whenever possible.
In your opinion do these splash guards offer much protection from rock chips?
enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 01:53 PM   #14
camaromike77

Drives: S O L D
GREAT write up! Thank you for taking the time to share. MUCH appreciated.... Considering getting these soon......
Borla S-Type exhaust NPP| GM CAI | Color matched GM side skirts | Color matched 3rd brake light | Big Worm Graphics smoked out tail lights & rear reflectors | Oracle ghosted side markers | LED License plate bulbs | Door striker covers | Jam handle | Engine emblems from RiverCity Creations | 50th Center Console | Black bow ties | Hawk Performance ceramic brake pads | ZL1 Start button | CQuartz ceramic paint finish | Novistretch bra | S O L D
camaromike77 is offline   Reply With Quote