Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 08-22-2014, 06:29 PM   #1
Rigzo510

Drives: 2012 Camaro Ls3
FI for drag strip?

I've been trying to research how the AGP TT cars have been doing at the strip but can't find much on it. How well do TT's perform at the track with these heavy cars? I've been looking into the AGP kit or into the ECS kits. If anybody cares to pitch in which FI is having the best luck with a stock cube m6 it would help make up my mind
Old 08-22-2014, 06:41 PM   #2
sprayedv

Drives: 2012 CTS-V, 2010 Camaro SS
Depends what your goals are...

Turbo size... how much boost/power you looking for... Do you have suspension work? Etc etc.

In general TTs perform extremely well in heavy cars. More so when you have some spray to get them off the line quicker.

2012 CTS-V: Cosmetic Chute.
sprayedv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 06:51 PM   #3
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
All the local ones run amazing. Only car I can comment on is Cortney@AGP has a 2010 l99 auto car. TT kit, 11psi, nt05R 305 18" tires and it went 10.8@135 in Tucson with DA around 4000ft. Car is being built with a 416/etc now so should be faster when it goes out. Few other cars running high 10s with just turbo kit/tires/clutch/etc. Doesn't need cam/heads/etc.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:04 PM   #4
Rigzo510

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprayedv View Post
Depends what your goals are...

Turbo size... how much boost/power you looking for... Do you have suspension work? Etc etc.

In general TTs perform extremely well in heavy cars. More so when you have some spray to get them off the line quicker.
I don't really know much about turbos so I wouldn't be able to say sizes all that. I have full bmr suspension out back with dss axles also. I've just been reading that turbos don't like heavy cars till the top end? I'll be forging the motor later on to run higher boost but for now maybe 10lbs

Your ctsv is badasssssss btw!
Old 08-22-2014, 07:08 PM   #5
Rigzo510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
All the local ones run amazing. Only car I can comment on is Cortney@AGP has a 2010 l99 auto car. TT kit, 11psi, nt05R 305 18" tires and it went 10.8@135 in Tucson with DA around 4000ft. Car is being built with a 416/etc now so should be faster when it goes out. Few other cars running high 10s with just turbo kit/tires/clutch/etc. Doesn't need cam/heads/etc.
If I can get into the mid 10's id be happy, haven't heard much track times with the agp kits tho I wouldn't know which kit to get from them. How are the turbo car manners on the street?
Old 08-22-2014, 07:10 PM   #6
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Amazing. Tons of low end torque, easy to control, drives like stock when wanted. Add some gas and abundant torque/power everywhere. On the auto there was no way to get it to lag since if you gave it enough gas it just downshifted and went. Car made 740+ ft/lbs of torque and had crazy mid range.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:55 PM   #7
H-E
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 zr1 Camaro 2011 vert
If your looking for low 1/4 times with a six speed you will be much quicker with about anything over turbos.There is some nice kits out there, they can put up nice dyno numbers, most will never get a decent 1/4 mile time with them.It is very tuff to make a quick six speed car, tuffer with turbos.
H-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:41 PM   #8
Rigzo510

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-E View Post
If your looking for low 1/4 times with a six speed you will be much quicker with about anything over turbos.There is some nice kits out there, they can put up nice dyno numbers, most will never get a decent 1/4 mile time with them.It is very tuff to make a quick six speed car, tuffer with turbos.
I'm not looking for a dyno queen at all lol I just want something fast that'll be both fun on the strip and street
Old 08-22-2014, 10:15 PM   #9
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Just my opinion but you titled the post FI for the drag strip. When drag racing, the first step is getting the car off the line and with a manual it will be a lot easier if your forced induction system has a broad power band. Because if you have tires and suspension dialed in which I'm guessing you do, then the wider the power band the less precise you have to be with the clutch to run a good 60 ft. Positive displacement supercharges give more torque and make it easy for a hack like me to consistently run 1.5 sec 60 ft times with a 4300+ racing weight. That was with 900 ft/lbs of torque at 2400 rpm from a TVS 2300 on a 427 block.

Once you are out of first gear it is all about the peak on the dyno sheet, more power makes more mph. Turbos are the bomb once they get rolling because they just plain make more power. The base turbos in the AGP kit can easily push 1000whp through the stock motor if you are brave enough (or foolish enough) to turn them up. Now that I have been studying turbos I have realized that virtually no one running twin turbos is even close to using all of the boost potential their turbos could make. The crazy 4 cylinder guys are making 1000whp and 30+ pounds of boost on less displacement then we have on one bank, with basically the same turbos we are running for twins. Even the monster centrifugals can't match the peak power available from a good set of twins. If you are a power junkie you will love turbos and you will never build the car to a point that the turbos are not enough.

If I was starting from scratch I would start with the twin turbo kit. As you upgrade the rest of the motor you can just turn up the boost you have not even tapped.

I started with blowers, I maxed out every horse I could get out of the 1.9 LSA (757whp) and then I went to a 2.3 and spun that as hard as I possibly could (835whp), then I sprayed nitrous on it (1203whp)... I'm mounting turbos right now and though I decided not to remove the blower, I don't think I will need nitrous ever again.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:28 AM   #10
H-E
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigzo510 View Post
I'm not looking for a dyno queen at all lol I just want something fast that'll be both fun on the strip and street
Then I would suggest a 800 hp TVS build.You will enjoy hurting the feelings of 1000 hp turbo guys
Old 08-23-2014, 06:06 PM   #11
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-E View Post
Then I would suggest a 800 hp TVS build.You will enjoy hurting the feelings of 1000 hp turbo guys
That's what I did the first time, but you can't get 800 out of a 2300 without a set of heads and a cam and headers, and when you crack the block you might as well put in a forged crank and rods, and since you are putting in a new crank and rods it doesn't cost anymore to make it a 417 stroker, and after you do all of this, 800's is about the max whp you are going to get. If you had the same forged bottom you could just turn those turbos up to 1200 and even though the blower car launches a lot easier, I'm thinking you could run it down with another 400 horses.

If I was starting over I'd start with turbos.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:58 PM   #12
Jchaluja

Drives: ZL1 Camaro
Don't have AGP but a similar setup and Matt@FSP installed the entire scavenge system from AGP to my setup, I run consistent mid 10's and drive it a lot, of course I broke a few 6l80's and now Matt installed a 4L80 and looking to boost more, I don't see a lot of turbo cars running at the track, not sure why, but from my experience, TT's need less boost vs other FI setup to run the same numbers at the track.
Jchaluja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:55 PM   #13
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchaluja View Post
Don't have AGP but a similar setup and Matt@FSP installed the entire scavenge system from AGP to my setup, I run consistent mid 10's and drive it a lot, of course I broke a few 6l80's and now Matt installed a 4L80 and looking to boost more, I don't see a lot of turbo cars running at the track, not sure why, but from my experience, TT's need less boost vs other FI setup to run the same numbers at the track.
Good turbo kits are relatively new to the V8. Supercharger kits have been around for a log time. I think as more turbo cars are built, more people will see the advantages. I would have went 6l90 but that debate has already occurred on the board. I think the 4l80 has been around a long time and everyone in the speed business knows how to make it work. Not that many have experience with the 6l90 but it really is a solid automatic transmission with 2 more gears.

Superchargers take crankshaft power to spin. Most of them are turning 300+ revolutions per second and the higher the boost number is, the greater the resistance the supercharger has to turning it. The general rule of thumb is it takes about a 5 horsepower per pound of boost you make in a supercharger.

Turbochargers use exhaust gas pressure that is virtually untapped energy to spin them. They do effect overall backpressure and combustion temps but they are much more efficient. So a supercharged car making 10 pounds of boost will have to have roughly 50 more horsepower worth of air and fuel than a turbo car making the same boost. Overall the turbo puts more power to the tires with less strain on the drivetrain. I think your experience with boost numbers is correct.

Old 08-24-2014, 07:56 AM   #14
H-E
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
That's what I did the first time, but you can't get 800 out of a 2300 without a set of heads and a cam and headers, and when you crack the block you might as well put in a forged crank and rods, and since you are putting in a new crank and rods it doesn't cost anymore to make it a 417 stroker, and after you do all of this, 800's is about the max whp you are going to get. If you had the same forged bottom you could just turn those turbos up to 1200 and even though the blower car launches a lot easier, I'm thinking you could run it down with another 400 horses.

If I was starting over I'd start with turbos.
I would hope a 1200 Hp car could chase down a 800 hp car, but you are right it would gave to chase down the TVS car.We have made OVER 900 rwhp with a 2300, most people will make in the high 700s tho.It is no doubt that turbos will out dyno the tvs cars pretty easy but the op has stated he wants a quick 1/4 mile car and he has a man stick.I would be willing to bet for the AVERAGE forum member with a stick he would run quicker 1/4 mile times with a Maggi than a turbo , even with the turbo making much more power on the dyno.You obviously have a problem LOL, the horsepower you want isn't reachable with the TVS alone. I don't think the new TVS would be enuff...woops