Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 10-02-2010, 05:13 AM   #1
normand30

Drives: 2ss
amplifiers

Does anyone know which is better to have? One five channel amp to power your whole system or two seperate amps, one for highs and one for lows?
normand30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 06:39 AM   #2
SRFnSNO

Drives: Blown & Flamed
Are you looking for sound quality or Thump?

Quality I went with a Audison LRx Series multi Chanel amp and a Digital processor (Bit 1)
http://www.audison.eu/index_main.php?Section=LRX51MT
Then added one of there 10" Thesis subs in a Fiberglass Sealed enclosure.
Added this on to stock BA system.
SRFnSNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 10:52 AM   #3
mrray13

Drives: 2010 1LT RS Rally Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by normand30 View Post
Does anyone know which is better to have? One five channel amp to power your whole system or two seperate amps, one for highs and one for lows?
Two schools of thought here..

1) with a multichannel amp, install is straightforward. One run of wire, one location needed, no remote turn on issues (there are times in multiple amp setups a relay is needed), and install is basicly easier. Downsides? You can't upgrade just one side, the sub side is typically fairly weak and if one side of the amp dies, you are completely without tunes. Good multichannel amps can be more expensive then a comparable power multi amp set up too.

2) with multiple amps install is a bit harder. Multiple runs of wire, locations and there is the remote issue. However, if one amp dies, you might not be completely without tunes while that's resolved. You can always upgrade power easy, might even be cheapier overall and way more power is available on the sub side of things in a multi amp set up.

Personally, if all you are after is overall sound, you aren't trying to compete is spl events, a good multichannel will simplify everything and can make for a very clean install. Just don't expect to be a world beater with it, lol.
Old 10-02-2010, 01:54 PM   #4
Topdown
The wait is over!

Drives: 2010 Camaro, IOM, L99, Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrray13 View Post
Two schools of thought here..

1) with a multichannel amp, install is straightforward. One run of wire, one location needed, no remote turn on issues (there are times in multiple amp setups a relay is needed), and install is basicly easier. Downsides? You can't upgrade just one side, the sub side is typically fairly weak and if one side of the amp dies, you are completely without tunes. Good multichannel amps can be more expensive then a comparable power multi amp set up too.

2) with multiple amps install is a bit harder. Multiple runs of wire, locations and there is the remote issue. However, if one amp dies, you might not be completely without tunes while that's resolved. You can always upgrade power easy, might even be cheapier overall and way more power is available on the sub side of things in a multi amp set up.

Personally, if all you are after is overall sound, you aren't trying to compete is spl events, a good multichannel will simplify everything and can make for a very clean install. Just don't expect to be a world beater with it, lol.

as always ... gotta agree with mrray.

I usually prefer a multi-amp setup with at least 1 4-channel amp for the fronts (bridged) and if there is a matching (I am a little anal retentive about my amps matching) monoblock amp for the subs thats great, otherwise I usually go with as big a 2-channel as I can for my subs.

the multi-amp setups are (for me) usually easier on the install as you can split them apart, take up unused space with 2 smaller amps rather than 1 large one. wiring is a little more difficult, but not much... just use a fused power distribution block, run a 0/1 ga wire into it and 4/8 gauge out of it to the amps (the bigger the better) then run an non-fused ground block, run your grounds into it and then run a 0/1 to a bolt... just make sure and run the same size wire for power and ground. if you develop alternator whine, ground your head-unit to the same ground block and make sure your RCA's are grounded at both the amp and the stereo and 98% of your noise issues go away. (without going into RCA shielding and HOW to run your cables)

personally my next install will be with a Phoenix Gold Roadster66... which is a giant multi-channel amp but its HUGE so I am having to plan the install around the amp size and thats not easy to do without compromising something... in my case, the enclosure.

AlphaDamp CLD Mat - Get more Sound Deadening with less Sound Deadener
Topdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:36 AM   #5
normand30

Drives: 2ss
Thanks guys! I was considering a memphis belle 5 channel or two alpine pdx amps. Got a pretty good deal on these choices thats why I picked these two. Which is better for sound quality?
normand30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:33 AM   #6
Scott P

Drives: not what you're thinking
Personally I wouldn't choose either of those amps if I was looking for sound quality. I would look at the Arc Audio XXD series amps or even their KS line of amps. Even at full MSRP they would be significantly cheaper than those amps, provide as much power, be way cleaner, and have a very similar footprint as the pdx amps.

Keep in mind that not all watts are created equally. Case in point: I have a 6ch amp right now that is rated at 50x4 and 100x2 pushing my mids and highs. I would be willing to bet that my volume level will compete with anyone here no matter what they are running, and I know for a fact that I can beat any car here or most anywhere else on earth in terms of SQ. The catch you ask? McIntosh amps are rated at >.005% ( if memory serves, mine was even lower than that). But the cost on such amps are rediculously high unless you dumbluck your way into one (which is the only way I was able to get mine).

so with all that said, if you have to choose between the two you listed I would take the PDX, but if you can look at other lines Look at Arc Audio, Zapco, Genesis, or even JL. You'll see a huge step up in SQ with any of those.
Scott P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:39 AM   #7
shevyman

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS IOM
i agree with scott and go with arc, message me and i can get you a deal on them, we also sell hertz and audison which are a little more pricey but way worth the price. also how much power are you looking for?

just pm me with all your info and i could help you out with a deal if interested
shevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:50 PM   #8
Topdown
The wait is over!

Drives: 2010 Camaro, IOM, L99, Auto
IMO - unless you are going full-on SQ with high-end everything, your not going to be able to tell the difference between a decent amp and a high-end amp... If it were me, I would split the difference and go with a pair of kicker or JBL amps. the Belle is a great amp, but they are big and hard to manage in an install... the PDX amps are decent, but they have noise-floor issues (you can avoid the noise-floor issue but that will cost a little more).

really, you cant go wrong with an Arc, Kicker, JL, Alpine, JBL, Memphis, etc... they are all decent amps that are going to give you the same quality of sound. just stay away from the Pyle, Rockwood, Phoenix Digital, Sony Xplode, etc... they are notoriously bad and you will be frustrated and not happy with your purchase. (polishing a turd so to speak)

I hesitate to recommend one of the new Zed Audio Leviathons or Kronos amps, but only because I havent heard them myself, but if they are anything like the Zed amps of old, you really cant go wrong with getting any of them. There are also TONS of non-name brand amps that have superior sound quality but no marketing department like Zuki and Sundown... the list is long.

If you want really high end amps I would look for Genesis, sinfoni, Brax, Tru, Some Zapco's, McIntosh, Adcom... I cant say that they will sound better without going full-on SQ in the rest of the install, which is why I would recommend the amps I mentioned above.

AlphaDamp CLD Mat - Get more Sound Deadening with less Sound Deadener
Topdown is offline   Reply With Quote