Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 12-12-2008, 01:28 PM   #1
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
19x9.5 with 275/35/19 on a G8

My four door Camaro is coming along. We have now completed three more upgrades to Pedders USA Pedderised and ProCharged G8:
Forgeline 19x9.5 ZX3 Wheels
Bridgestone Potenza REO50A Pole Position 275/35/19 XL W
Eg Calssics Grilles

Working with Dave Schardt we developed a set of light weight 19x9.5 inch set of wheels for our G8. Our Forgeline ZX3 wheels use titanium bolts and military-spec lightweight jet-nuts to reduce weight in the most critical point - the perimeter of the wheel. The forged wheel center also has unnecessary aluminum removed to reduce the weight as much as possible without sacrificing strength. And to optimize further, the rim material is lighter and stronger with the use of 6061-T6 aluminum.

Our new wheels were tested using computer stress analysis. The computer model enables Forgeline to analyze the design under a simulated load and optimize it before machining begins. ForgeLine centers are created using a 6000 ton hydraulic press - a modernized version of forging proven successful for hundreds of years. The press forges the wheel center into its general shape. Forging aligns the grain structure, reduces porosity, and increases uniformity in the material, thereby increasing the strength to weight ratio with consistent results. Forging also allows the use of 6061 material which can be heat treated to be 40% stronger than cast aluminum. The wheel centers are then CNC machined to create the design style. The end result is a set of 19x9.5 wheels for our G8 with a 43mm offset that weigh only 20 pounds.

Our G8 rides on Pedders eXtreme Xa adjustable coilovers,with eXtreme Sway Bars and Sports Ryder urethane. Since our initial installation the G8 has been lowered and aligned so many times we have lost count. In OE trim the front ride height was 660mm with the rear at 660.mm. It is now at 615mm front and 585mm rear. Because of the Xa design with height adjustment achieved by screwing the 46mm high pressure monotubes into the clevis / lower bracket ride quality remains the same.

When Pedders designs a suspension it fits. Take out the OE black part and replace it with Pedders red. No cutting, pounding or grinding are required. That was the same standard we set four our tire and wheel package. Because of the excellent work done at Forgeline, the wheel and tire combination fits within the restrictions of our G8's OE sheet metal. We removed the OE 19x8 wheels and bolted on the Forgelines using the OE lug nuts and caps.

Our new 275/25/19 XL W Potenza RE050A Pole Position are loaded with race-inspired technology: UNI-T for outstanding wet and dry traction, a tread pattern that promotes rapid water evacuation, variable dimensions in the tread blocks, and a smooth shape to reduce noise. An asymmetrical pattern in the RE050A Pole Position tread increases surface contact to enhance acceleration and cornering. Put this Potenza through the paces and discover what ultra-high performance really means.

Tie Bar Rib; 3D Shape; Semi-Slick Center Rib
Improves handling response

High Lateral Stiffness Block
Improves cornering

Block & Slick Combination
Improves traction and braking

XL - Extra Load
Most passenger tires are designed for Standard Load Ranges. XL tires are reinforced and designated as such and identified by "XL" in their descriptions, 275/35/19 XL.

W Speed Rating
With the engineering advancements in suspension design demands on tires have increased. W rated tires are designed for speeds up to 168 MPH.

These features are mission critical for our G8. One of our goals is to reach a minimum of 1 G in lateral acceleration on the skid pad. The upgrade from the OE 245/40/19 REO50 Potenza to the Pole Position along with an increase in contact patch should get us there. At our Texas Dealer Conferences on a poorly surfaced skid pad we measured a steady .94 with a peak of .97.

Along with our Bridgestone Pole Positions, our original eXtreme coilovers have been replaced with Pedders new Adjustable eXtreme Xa coilovers. The front ride height is now 5mm lower and the rear ride height is 15mm lower. This has improved the front to rear balance. The alignment has been refined to:

FRONT
Caster +7.75 No Bias
Camber -1.5
Toe -.21 -.19
Total Toe -.41

REAR
Camber -1.6
Toe -.18 -.20
Thrust Angle +.01
Total Toe -.38

This is an aggressive alignment. It works because this G8 is fully Pedderised. We do not recommend these alignment specifications for those that drive G8s with OR suspension or are concerned with tire wear. Pedders uses our G8 as a test vehicle with skilled professional drivers.

Witt Pedders Buick in Muskegon Michigan did an outstanding job with the alignment. The steering wheel is dead nuts straight, turn is is excellent, straight line high speed stability -- it was great before the upgrades and we expect it to be better but the weather has limited our ability to test the new setup. On the highway at street legal speeds the G8 is incredibly planted. It feels rock solid. The difference is significant compared to the OE wheel and tire package. The 36 series profile did exact a toll on ride quality. It was no unexpected and it is a trade-off most enthusiasts would make in a heartbeat. As we get more miles on the setup we will adjust the damping settings front and rear to find the optimal combination for daily driver comfort and handling along with the maximum setup for the track.

With our Forgeline ZX3 Wheels and Bridgestone Pole Positions we achieved a weight reduction over 40 pounds. Reducing un-sprung weight improve virtually all aspects of a vehicles performance. Even though our wheels and tires are much larger the reduction at each is just over 10 pounds. eXtreme G8 Sway Bars are set full hard rear and one off full hard front. These refinements to the alignment along with a wider track and larger tire contact patch should bring us withing reach of our goal.

To give the G8 a more aggressive look to go along with the incredible performance we selected a set of E G Classics grilles. These Stainless Steel Fine Mesh grilles are designed to install over the factory grilles. At Pedders we take things to the eXtreme and that is what we did with our grille upgrade. The upper grille have no restriction. The lower grilles are blocked at the outer edges. Pontiac closed the outer areas to match the duct in the center that directs airflow to the radiator. That lower insert went away with our ProCharger less than a week after we took delivery. We decided to open them up. Why you may ask. There may be brake cooling ducts in the future and it just looks mechanically nasty.

Installation including cutting out the OE material was straight forward. The polished stainless steel trim rings cover the edges of the OE grille work we left to act as the mesh back plate. Installed they are invisible. You do see the channels that front bumper. You can see the same material with the OE grille work. As the OE grilles are black there is little contrast and it is barely noticeable.

The rear E G Classics grille was damaged in shipping. The items were well packed so we attribute this to holiday temporary help or maybe it was air freighted and dropped from an altitude of 35,000 feet. As soon as the replacement arrives we will install it removing the material in the lower rear fascia. We have one or two more tweaks and then we will be Pedderising our 2010 Camaro.

E&G Classics
8910 McGaw Court
Columbia, MD 21045
O 800-394-2774
http://www.egclassic.com/inventory/index.php
http://www.egclassic.com/inventory/item.php?itemid=676
http://www.egclassic.com/inventory/item.php?itemid=711

Bridgestone Americas Holding, Inc.
535 Marriott Drive
Nashville, TN 37214
O 615-937-1000
http://www.bridgestonetire.com/Index....aspx?src=home
http://www.bridgestonetire.com/tires...ProductID=1113
http://www.driversedge.org/

Forgeline Motorsports
3522 S. Kettering Blvd Suite A
Dayton, OH 45439
O 800-886-0093
www.Forgeline.com
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 01:32 PM   #2
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Your not helping the fact that I want a G8 right now

Damn nice car though.

Thats not cyber grey right.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:51 PM   #3
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
4 door camaro... thats awesome.

and so is the suspension btw.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 06:11 PM   #4
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro_corvette View Post
Your not helping the fact that I want a G8 right now

Damn nice car though.

Thats not cyber grey right.
There is a family resemblance, don't you think?.

Take a wild guess what kind of grill my Camaro will be wearing... I may have a problem when my Camaro arrives. My wife thinks I am crazy to have the GTO in storage with Witt Buick in Muskegon. She is already giving me the you never use the GTO business. When I am storing Camaro, G8 and GTO I'll either have a new wife or one less car.

This probably isn't helping to convince you you should buy a G8 right now and take delivery or your Camaro in the spring.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:42 PM   #5
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

The stress is killing me.
Old 12-13-2008, 01:05 AM   #6
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
That's a freaking GREAT looking G8 GT you've got!!!

Oh, is it gorgeous! You might not know, but I was realllllly contemplating that G8 GT. I mean, with the way it looks now, my spending might get north of 40K. And, for the G8 GT built the way I want it, it would only run my $28k with the red tag sale discount. Sure I might be able to get another discount in place or added to that. But still....11K less expensive. And, I could easily toss on some forced induction and still not get close to what I'm spending on the Camaro.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 09:18 AM   #7
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
That's a freaking GREAT looking G8 GT you've got!!!

Oh, is it gorgeous! You might not know, but I was realllllly contemplating that G8 GT. I mean, with the way it looks now, my spending might get north of 40K. And, for the G8 GT built the way I want it, it would only run my $28k with the red tag sale discount. Sure I might be able to get another discount in place or added to that. But still....11K less expensive. And, I could easily toss on some forced induction and still not get close to what I'm spending on the Camaro.
but it wouldnt be a camaro...
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 01:21 PM   #8
JusticePete

I have three daughters and a wife so they are much happier in the G8 than my GTO. That won't slow me down with the Camaro purchase, although I may put the GTO up for sale. My wife is relentless about having too many cars that she can't, won't doesn't like to drive becuase I am too picky about my cars.
Old 12-13-2008, 01:27 PM   #9
Legend
Hello!

Drives: 2008 JSB Z06!
Wow...that is beautiful!

I'd so jump on a G8 GT if I didn't have the Camaro SS on order! Actually...I love the GXP!
Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 01:48 PM   #10
JusticePete

Everyone should have a Camaro SS and a G8 GXP, both Pedderised of course!
Old 12-15-2008, 01:51 PM   #11
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Yes, help GM! Buy Two!
Old 12-15-2008, 04:17 PM   #12
JusticePete

Being involved in the automotive aftermarket and working with a number of people from GM I have some very strong opinions about what is going on. There is no doubt that GM has created much of this mess. What bothers me is that the government does not even acknowledge their role in this. It is our government that has opened our markets to virtually everyone. We welcome foreign goods and foreign businesses into our country. The inverse is not true. Virtually every country we export to has regulation, tariffs and taxes that restrict our ability to sell USA made goods. We went even further on the state level. The Southern States that lost the furniture and textile business through lower wages and foreign government's subsides to their own manufacturers, waged a similar campaign in the USA. They offered huge tax incentive packages to the transplants and pitched the lack of unions (UAW in particular) as another tax advantage. These government policies have crippled more than the Big Three. Our governmental policies and tax structure have crippled manufacturing in the USA across the board.

We need more than bridge loans to the Big Three. We need true access to foreign markets and governmental policies that will level the playing field for the big Three in the USA. Toyota has a %1,200 to $1,500 per vehicle lower cost because of health care. We can blame the unions or we can be realistic. most of Toyota's R & D is done in Japan. In Japan those employees receive health care and retirement subsides as government policy while Toyota receives cash and other incentives from the Japanese government. At the end of the day we are talking about thousands of dollars per car.

Remember that the Asians got lucky. The Oil Embargo in the early 70s made the econo-boxes that the Asians were selling here viable product. It wasn't a corporate strategy the Asians were working. The econo-boxes were what the Asians could sell in their own market. The Oil Embargo launched them into the USA mainstream. Now if the USA had not given the Asians access to our open markets they would not be what they are today. In China, where the Asians out side of the Chinese suffer along with the same restrictions as American car companies, GM is doing exceptionally well and the Asians are struggling to compete with GM.

Email every elected representative you can and demand the government provide GM, Ford and Chrysler the ability to act as though they were in bankruptcy, that the government fund the required bridge loans and most important of all that the government reform our trade and tax policies so that working men and women have good paying and secure manufacturing sector jobs in the USA.

Sorry for the rant, but the signature got me started.

It just got worse.... Please contact your elected officials. Feel free to cut and paste what I have written. If you don't like mine, write your own.

Toyota's board reached the decision late today, Japan time, to halt the $1.3 billion project near Tupelo, Miss., "due to the steep decline" in the United States. Toyota has no timetable on resuming construction, spokeswoman Barbara McDaniel said.

Our government’s trade and tax policies are more at fault than the Big Three or any USA manufacturer for the erosion of Made in the USA products. The US market got tight, so Toyota cut and ran -- all the way back to Japan with USA JOBS and MONEY. They have no commitment to the USA. Their only interest is to export our wealth. Change our tax and trade policies so we can manufacture goods in the USA and sell them in free and open markets around the world. It is time for you as an elected official to CHANGE the course of our economy.

Fund bridge loans to the Big Three.
Allow the Big Three to exercise the same contractual rights available to them in bankruptcy under TARP like legislation.
Concurrently set the same types of deadlines for the US government to reform our Trade and Tax policies that have been suggested for the Big Three.

Last edited by JusticePete; 12-15-2008 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Added Toyota News
Old 12-17-2008, 02:46 AM   #13
TaylorRyanSS
COTW: 12/13/10

Drives: 1969 Camaro
those wheels really make a difference... aftermarket wheels make every car look better

"Are you one of those boys who prefer cars to women? - I'm one of those boys that appreciates a fine body, regardless of the make."
1969 CAMARO JOURNAL: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341239 | FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/taylor.ryan.apt | GRAPHIC DESIGN: www.aptdesigns.net
TaylorRyanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 03:51 PM   #14
JusticePete

We were at .94 steady on the skid pad. With the Xa coilovers, new wheels and 275/35 upgrade from 245/40 we expect to see a steady 1 G on the pad.