Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-06-2011, 08:30 PM   #57
bbiermanski

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
Send a message via MSN to bbiermanski
The LS3 is so easy to mod, I have under 6K in mine it puts down 450.6 with out spray and 502 with it at the wheels. Yea its a heavy car, but it is relatively cheep to compensate for.
bbiermanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:30 PM   #58
Ironheadspearo
ride the pain train

Drives: 2011 1LT RS, 1998 fxstc HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1o.f00t.570rk View Post

When the 5th Gen Camaro platform has been out as long as the S-197 and still hasn't offered anything, then you might have grounds to complain. But expecting to see this kind of stuff on the third model year into production doesn't sound reasonable - it sounds petulant.

Ford doesn't have a Corvette equivalent. The Mustang is all they have to compete with both the Camaro and Corvette, so they are definitely going to release trim packages that the Camaro can't compete with but the Corvette can, and that's not a failing of the Camaro.
Ford did build the ford gt which pretty much dominated any corvette ever built at the time. Imo id have a ford gt over a zr1 anyday.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:17 PM   #59
SuperTrooper

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neriah View Post
Agreed, you can make the LS3 blow the doors of a BOSS 302... yet still have a stock looking car and interior with cargo space. Might not be for everyone, but its a perfect combo for me, Loads of power and speed (S/C or bolt ons), and on the nice sunny day when I want to go to the beach, I can pack up the cooler/chairs in my Camaro and make a day of it . Not so easy in a vette or Boss 302 is it?

I can't speak to the Boss.....but a Corvette coupe has more cargo space than a Camaro. I've personally carried a weeks worth of luggage for two,along with two golf bags in my C6 Z06.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:24 PM   #60
SuperTrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveagogo1 View Post
In what area would the Ford GT beat a ZR1 Corvette exactly? It certainly isn't in the o-60 or the 1/4 or top speed or cornering and braking. Not to mention the GT cost about 40k more that a base ZR1 does today.

Exclusivity & resale value. The GT is never mistaken for a Mustang....but unless you're a real car person,the ZR-1 doesn't look much different than any other C6 Corvette.As an added bonus, our 2005 GT is worth more today than the day we bought it back in 2005.

And for less than the cost of a full exhaust on a ZR1,our GT makes 713RWHP & 748 RWTQ.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:40 PM   #61
Edge.128

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTrooper View Post
Exclusivity & resale value. The GT is never mistaken for a Mustang....but unless you're a real car person,the ZR-1 doesn't look much different than any other C6 Corvette.As an added bonus, our 2005 GT is worth more today than the day we bought it back in 2005.

And for less than the cost of a full exhaust on a ZR1,our GT makes 713RWHP & 748 RWTQ.
how is that???

Edge.128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:36 PM   #62
Ravirn
Account Unaccounted for

Drives: Black SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJKJ View Post
I know the 2012 has a revised suspension coming, but you still have the weight and size issue. I know the size issue can't be resolved until the C6, but until then focus on weight reduction and handling.

Thank you,
I respectfully disagree. The size sure ain't an issue... and when they shrink the Camaro... that's going to be a sad day. If I wanted a shrimpy mustang, I would have bought Ford's mini-muscle car.
As for weight... took care of that myself and that ain't an issue. I also drove a mustang and a Camaro... and the Camaro was a helluva lot more fun to drive. IMO, of course.

GM has a winner in the Camaro, and I hope they continue to do exactly what they've been doing. Producing a better product.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:37 PM   #63
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravirn View Post
I respectfully disagree. The size sure ain't an issue... and when they shrink the Camaro... that's going to be a sad day. If I wanted a shrimpy mustang, I would have bought Ford's mini-muscle car.

GM has a winner in the Camaro, and I hope they continue to do exactly what they've been doing. Producing a better product.

BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:11 AM   #64

Drives: 2011 5.0L GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravirn View Post
As for weight... took care of that myself and that ain't an issue. I also drove a mustang and a Camaro... and the Camaro was a helluva lot more fun to drive. IMO, of course.

How much weight were u able to remove and how did u go about getting this accomplished?

28 " Buy a hybrid, I need your gas.."
28. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:31 AM   #65
SuperTrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge.128 View Post
how is that???
Paid sticker minus $4k........recently appraised at $175k.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:17 AM   #66
Edge.128

Quote:
Paid sticker minus $4k........recently appraised at $175k.
wow i think they were drunk when they appraised it. 2005 mustang GTs sell for about less than 1/2 of what they were new sorry to say.

Old 06-09-2011, 02:59 PM   #67
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post

Have you seen Grand Am racing lately? Camaro's been kicking the tail of those Boss's. The Camaro's have enormous potential. Don't try selling that BS here.

Heck, the Camaro GS.R car the run in the Grand Am series isn't much different from stock. No, it's not stock, but it looks like the main differences are in safety, suspension and some of the body panels are carbon fiber.

http://www.mitchum.ms/chevrolet-camaro-gsr.php

Watkins Glen last weekend was mixed with a Boss winning, but a bunch of Camaro's in the top 10.

1. Ford
2. Camaro
3. BMW
4. Ford
5. Camaro
6. Camaro
7. Ford
8. Camaro
9. BMW
10. Porche

Seems to me Camaro is showing up just as well as the Boss...

Old 06-09-2011, 04:00 PM   #68
SuperTrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge.128 View Post
wow i think they were drunk when they appraised it. 2005 mustang GTs sell for about less than 1/2 of what they were new sorry to say.

LOL.....GT as in Ford GT,not Mustang GT.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:04 PM   #69
Edge.128

Quote:
LOL.....GT as in Ford GT,not Mustang GT.
well that makes a whole lot more sense. thanks for clarifying that lol

Old 06-10-2011, 08:55 PM   #70
JJKJ

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dallas View Post
Heck, the Camaro GS.R car the run in the Grand Am series isn't much different from stock. No, it's not stock, but it looks like the main differences are in safety, suspension and some of the body panels are carbon fiber.

http://www.mitchum.ms/chevrolet-camaro-gsr.php

Watkins Glen last weekend was mixed with a Boss winning, but a bunch of Camaro's in the top 10.

1. Ford
2. Camaro
3. BMW
4. Ford
5. Camaro
6. Camaro
7. Ford
8. Camaro
9. BMW
10. Porche

Seems to me Camaro is showing up just as well as the Boss...

I hardly consider this series of racing grassroots racing. Highly doubtful any of us could afford to compete in this series of racing on individual budgets.

However, you made my point for me. Remove weight from the Camaro, give it a more agressive suspension and it can be a successful racer.

I appreciate all you guys really like your cars. My intent with the original post was to get a message directly to the Camaro team at GM from a potential Camaro buyer they lost. I know they're on these boards, and writing a letter to GM, hoping it will get to the right people is a gamble at best.

Sorry if I ruffled some of you guys' feathers by asking GM to build you a faster, better handling car to hang with the competition.

Good luck, hope to see some of you at the track. [back to lurk mode]
JJKJ is offline   Reply With Quote