Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 05-15-2009, 09:49 AM   #43
lnsjr1

Drives: 02'Z28 07'CTS 03'HD Fatboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZYAL8R View Post
The bowtie on the back is held on by two big drilled holes, so I'm not sure what you would put back there to cover it up w/o some paint and body work, so for me it's not feasible.............BUT I am a DE-BADGER from wayyyyyy back. I like the looks of smooth body panel. Always have been a Custom ride kinda guy, and de-badging is a subtle little thing you can do that DOES make a ride look sweeter.

Before taking delivery of my 03' GMC Crew, I told the dealer to make sure and take off the 4 x 4 stickers on the bed of the truck. And he didn't want to. He said "It will leave sticky on your truck". WHATEVER. Take it off or no sale. Afterwards, he admitted to me that all the guys back in the body shop and himself included thought it looked cleaner and better.

And then there was a guy I know, who asked why I took them off, and I told him and his reply..................................."Well, that;s why I bought my truck!" Really............you bought a truck b/c it had Z-71 stickers on the side????

As for people not knowing what a car is w/o seeing a Bowtie or Blue Oval.........they are obviously NOT car/truck people and could care less what they drive or what you drive. And I could care less about what they think it is too. Not to brag (well I kinda am) I can tell you at night what kind of car/truck is what just by seeing the headlights in the rear view mirror. So I guess that makes me a CAR/TRUCK NUT!

WHew! After having said all that, my new CAMARO will keep ALL her badging. WHY? B/c something that has so much heritage should show that heritage and I'll be proud to display her that way. My 2c.
lnsjr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:11 AM   #44
avol2
2G1FT1EWXA9104709

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS SIM
I have been grabbing that BIG Bowtie as reach up for the trunk to pull it closed... It has a job to do and I'd much rather grab that then put my fingerprints all over the trunk.

Obviously enthusiats know what kind of car it is... but mine as well as any others are being a rolling billboard for camaro and Chevy.... MOST of the population isnt an enthusiat and most havent even seen commercials, so most have no idea what it is...

"The guy in the Mercedes that actually slowed down and changed lanes and STOPPED next to me to ask "What is that? I saw the Chevy logo, but what is it?" << I think he wants one

"The 2008 Mustang that pulled up next to me, and said.... WOW looks like a charger!... Good thing it says CAMARO on the side or I would of thought it was a Dodge !!" << obviously an idiot

"The 1968 Mustang that pulled up and was drooling! his word "F_CK, that is the hottest car I have ever seen!!! and that's the new CAMARO ?!"

"The 2 guys in the old Mustang that followed me for 4 miles to admire the lines of the car from so many angles... in the end... "That is the hottest car, great choice... you are very lucky!"

"The Hyundai driver that actually took pictures while traveling at 35MPH (a bit more to keep up to me), then rooled his passenger window down and asked me to put it in nuetral and REVVVV the engine. I think he had a hard on, as he screamed I am buying one of those when I return from Iraq!"

"The Honda guy at the BX parking lot, that actually asked to take pictures and then asked if he could see the interior... I let him sit in it.... He was in LOVE"

These are just some of the lookie lews....

~~~~~~~~~~~
Julie
aka aVOL2 (because I ride a VOLusia Too)
avol2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:21 AM   #45
CamaroSS24
Ford Convert

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS - Yellow/RS pk
At least it doesn't have that gaudy stamped into the plastic bumber that ford was doing for years. I always hated that, to the point I never bought a Mustang. By the time they got smart, the Camaro concept stole my business.

I'm sure something cool can be made from metal and made to replace the bowtie should someone choose to do so. Customization is a beautiful thing!
ORDERED: April 15, 2009 Est. Delivery: August, 2009?

CamaroSS24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:23 AM   #46
blevina

Drives: 1967 Firebird & 2010 Camaro SS
Does anyone know of a company that makes bowtie replacements? I like them, I just don't like the gold.

Current cars: 2010 Camaro SS/RS DELIVERED 6/4/09
1967 Firebird 400 Convertible
blevina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:25 AM   #47
fireresq157

Drives: 1997 SS & 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnsjr1 View Post
I have owed atleast 10 over the years. People like you love jumping to conclusions Nothing said about anyone hating chevy.
Maybe we got off on the wrong foot. You referring to the Chevy logo as a pimple, did not put you in a good light. Everyone has their own ways of going about things. Personally before I would trash the logo or brand figuratively speaking I would have posted "does anyone know if the bowtie logo is bolted or glued on?". This has been asked many times before and I could have easily come on here and just said like many others "do a search". No, instead I warned you of the possibility of what you wanted would not be practical. Hey if that’s what you like go for it. I'm just tired of seeing people that would not have anything to do with a Chevy just trash the brand but love this car, you can't have a Camaro without Chevy.
fireresq157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:30 AM   #48
fireresq157

Drives: 1997 SS & 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by blevina View Post
Does anyone know of a company that makes bowtie replacements? I like them, I just don't like the gold.
You can go to a place that does striping and have the gold part covered up with whatever color vinyl they have. If done correctly it should last a while and not that expensive. For now there are no direct replacements that I know of.
fireresq157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:38 AM   #49
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
I use it to hold onto to close the trunk.
Same here
Old 05-15-2009, 12:50 PM   #50
KIMBERSSGIRL1
2010 RS/SS Camaro Owner!

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
I don't mind Bowtie Emblems on my car, I am a Chevy Girl and we are a Chevy Family at our house and always have been!
But the BIG Bowties do seem a little on the "Oversized" side and Gold, Well... just doesn't go with every color or option!

There are companies that will make vinal cutouts for filling in the center of the Bowties to most any color you want.
www.grafxwerks.com did for my Monte Carlo SS and I am sure if not already there working on the Camaro's although there not listed as of yet. Probably Auto trim Design as well.

I'll bet some company will read this thread and see that there is a market for the rear bowtie replacement and come up with a "filler panel" to bolt into those factory Bowtie holes in the back and across the strip of the trunk and not just some vinal tape!
Maybe a honeycomb panel or Carbon Fiber or something of that effect on it.
I would put an retro RS/SS badge in the middle and take off the one on the trunklid.

I like customizing my cars to suit me and make it mine as long as it's tasteful and not look like everyone elses. Hope they do as I would like to change it up a bit!
Everyone has different tastes and you cannot please everybody! Just please yourself and don't worry of what others think!

It's still early! Give it time!
But it's fun planning it out and making it YOURS!

Kim
Old 05-15-2009, 12:51 PM   #51
Georgie

Drives: Camaro... soon
sorry, looks good there in my opinion
Old 05-15-2009, 01:00 PM   #52
Garywyatt

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS L99
Paint the Gold

Can the bowtie be taken apart and the gold underneath painted a different color?
Garywyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 01:03 PM   #53
Thwick

Drives: 2007 Cobalt SS/SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garywyatt View Post
Can the bowtie be taken apart and the gold underneath painted a different color?
Not sure about the camaro, but the ones on my cobalt were 2 pieces and could be taken apart to paint, but its difficult. I tried to take mine apart, and not only did i hurt the edges of the outer part but the gold piece cracked while i was doing it and i had to throw it out. Much easier to just tape it off becuase the pieces are adhered really well. I assume the camaro bowties will be 2 pieces as well.
Thwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 01:10 PM   #54
Mark25

Drives: 2001 Corvette, 2006 Mustang GT
What Chevy should have done was put a faux gas cap on the rear (just like the Stangs)...put the smaller bowtie on the V6's and the "SS" on the gas cap...that's retro. This way you can spot the SS a lot easier than hunting for it up in the right hand corner!
(Same for the front...on the SS version replace the bowtie in the center of the grill with a large SS emblem...then there's no doubt when you look into your rearview mirror that the monster Camaro is behind you.)
Mark25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 01:40 PM   #55
Camaro509

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Black
For me the side GM badges are gone soon after getting the car.
The fron of the car has the mail slot which denotes the SS version, no
need for the 'retro' SS/RS badging unless you just like it.

The bowtie in the back will be painted either black, or red on mine; haven't made up my mind about it yet, but it is staying.

Someone above mentioned a panel to fill the holes left behind the rear bowtie,
that is actually a pretty damn good idea for those that want to remove it
but not do any body or paint work afterward. Carbon fiber anyone?

Fold for team 11108 to help find a cure!
Folding@home Stanford's Research DC Program.
Camaro509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 01:50 PM   #56
lnsjr1

Drives: 02'Z28 07'CTS 03'HD Fatboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIMBERSSGIRL1 View Post
I don't mind Bowtie Emblems on my car, I am a Chevy Girl and we are a Chevy Family at our house and always have been!
But the BIG Bowties do seem a little on the "Oversized" side and Gold, Well... just doesn't go with every color or option!

There are companies that will make vinal cutouts for filling in the center of the Bowties to most any color you want.
www.grafxwerks.com did for my Monte Carlo SS and I am sure if not already there working on the Camaro's although there not listed as of yet. Probably Auto trim Design as well.

I'll bet some company will read this thread and see that there is a market for the rear bowtie replacement and come up with a "filler panel" to bolt into those factory Bowtie holes in the back and across the strip of the trunk and not just some vinal tape!
Maybe a honeycomb panel or Carbon Fiber or something of that effect on it.
I would put an retro RS/SS badge in the middle and take off the one on the trunklid.

I like customizing my cars to suit me and make it mine as long as it's tasteful and not look like everyone elses. Hope they do as I would like to change it up a bit!
Everyone has different tastes and you cannot please everybody! Just please yourself and don't worry of what others think!

It's still early! Give it time!
But it's fun planning it out and making it YOURS!

Kim
Great idea......You just gave someone out there great idea. Very good thinking using the bolt holes for a custom panel. See what happens when you brain storm with people that have the same passion. One good reason to start a thread like this.
lnsjr1 is offline   Reply With Quote