Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-13-2013, 02:54 PM   #1
Alot9439

Drives: 2SS RS
Unhappy Oil pump and rain ?

Hello, everyone something rather unusual happened to me today I was driving and it was raining pretty hard well I drove through a somewhat small body of water ( a lot of cars where driving though it) noway around it. As I drove I got a message saying "oil pump pressure stop engine immediate" as this happened I started hearing weird sounds and I pulled in to the median. will I sat their for like 2 hours waiting on a tow truck. while waiting I could see all types of cars driving though the water. I felt like a fool do I hate my car for doing so ? hell no but I do wonder why every imaginable car drove though .

I was wondering would the issue just be an oil pump or could I of possibly flooded my engine . I did try cranking it over it does but it shakes and putters so I just turned it off.
Alot9439 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 03:28 PM   #2
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alot9439 View Post
Hello, everyone something rather unusual happened to me today I was driving and it was raining pretty hard well I drove through a somewhat small body of water ( a lot of cars where driving though it) noway around it. As I drove I got a message saying "oil pump pressure stop engine immediate" as this happened I started hearing weird sounds and I pulled in to the median. will I sat their for like 2 hours waiting on a tow truck. while waiting I could see all types of cars driving though the water. I felt like a fool do I hate my car for doing so ? hell no but I do wonder why every imaginable car drove though .

I was wondering would the issue just be an oil pump or could I of possibly flooded my engine . I did try cranking it over it does but it shakes and putters so I just turned it off.

A few things may have happened. It may just be an electrical issue, a short caused by the water immersion, or it may have started as an electrical issue and this caused an actual mechanical problem.

It also may have had nothing to do with the water and was just coincidence.

I do not know the ins and outs of the Camaro engine, V6 or V8 to be definitive.

However "flooding your engine" has nothing to do with water. It is a term from when cars had chokes and carburetors, and refers to putting too much fuel in the combustion chambers.

If water got into your engine, that means a few things, all bad. It is conceivable that water did go into your air intake and into the engine. How this relates to oil pressure is not clear to me. That would instead be a recipe for "hydro-lock" in which water pressure (usually from a leaky head gasket or cracked head) builds on the piston-face side of the piston and this pressure resists the reciprocating mass forcing it up the cylinder bore. Bad things ensue. if this happens, I'm not sure what the oil pressure sensor would do, but if the reciprocating mass stops, that typically stops oil pressure.

When the DIC says "stop engine", it's wise to stop the engine.
Old 10-13-2013, 05:02 PM   #3
Mobyd

Drives: 2010 White 2SS/RS,01 F150 SuperCrew
hardly related to water in my opinion
Mobyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 05:09 PM   #4
not
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS
Were you using GM Dexos approved oil? ....
not is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 05:50 PM   #5
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by not View Post
Were you using GM Dexos approved oil? ....

that wouldn't make any difference. the only reason GM requires it or something better is because that's what your OLM is calibrated for.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 06:54 PM   #6
not
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10013 View Post
that wouldn't make any difference. the only reason GM requires it or something better is because that's what your OLM is calibrated for.
What does the OLM do?
Old 10-13-2013, 06:56 PM   #7
Dknight16

Drives: 2014 2SS RS
Calculates oil life throughout the driving cycle and let's you know when it's time to change it.
Dknight16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 07:04 PM   #8
not
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dknight16 View Post
Calculates oil life throughout the driving cycle and let's you know when it's time to change it.
Thanks, wonder if my car came with that. There is a huge book behind a panel that opens and closes by the passenger seat, it is attached to the shelf that holds the radio and stuff. Maybe I can find some information there, but it is nicely sealed in a plastic protective bag and I would hate to ruin that.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:05 PM   #9
Aqua_Blue_SS

Drives: 2010 ABM 2SS/RS M6
Cai scoop? I don't have one so i don't know if this could happen but is it possible it scooped up some water? Don't know if that would mess with your oil pressure though.
Aqua_Blue_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 07:09 PM   #10
AdamEL
Adam E. Lucchesi

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS LS3 VR
Send a message via AIM to AdamEL
Man, that sucks... But at least your car was smart enough to tell you to turn it off. That's pretty cool, at least.
AdamEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 07:12 PM   #11
Mobyd

Drives: 2010 White 2SS/RS,01 F150 SuperCrew
Old 10-13-2013, 07:43 PM   #12
Alot9439

Drives: 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobyd View Post
was not that bad I can take a joke. I hope its not something major but I assume the water level probably was about less than the front bumper ground clearness. I am hoping it would be something simple I been over thinking but would a slight exhaust leak and water submergence cause this issue?.
Alot9439 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:17 AM   #13
REDXIIIDave
El Chupacabra

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS A6 Black/Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by not View Post
Thanks, wonder if my car came with that. There is a huge book behind a panel that opens and closes by the passenger seat, it is attached to the shelf that holds the radio and stuff. Maybe I can find some information there, but it is nicely sealed in a plastic protective bag and I would hate to ruin that.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:05 PM   #14
KJS

Drives: '10 RJT,'95&'14 Vette
So...what's the verdict?

Mine at sunset
KJS is offline   Reply With Quote