Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-29-2009, 07:29 PM   #15
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Your going from a truck to a pony car. Totally opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of visibility. You might be a classic case of, "just gonna have to get used to the small spaces, low slung stance, and small windows". Sorry man.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:35 PM   #16
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
It really is something you get used to. My Cobalt coupe has no visibility out the rear side windows. You use your mirrors, look for a spot ahead of you that has an opening, slide into it, and use your front side windows to make sure no one else is doing the same. You do get used to it.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 08:32 PM   #17
prostreet67

Drives: 67 prostreet
try driving a vette vert, talk about blind spots. In the camaro its like siting on a farm tractor the view is so good

2LT/RS-RJT, auto, sunroof,
polished wheels, spare.
order placed 3/13
3000 5/27
brought home 7/30
prostreet67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 08:40 PM   #18
Legend
Hello!

Drives: 2008 JSB Z06!
I'll agree that situational awareness is a must in the Carmaro...but coming from a truck I think is your biggest problem with visibility.

I have drove smaller cars (coupes and such) and sports cars for a while and I've felt fine in the Camaro. It is smaller than larger cars or trucks though, I'll agree with that!
Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 08:46 PM   #19
LDGn63

Drives: WNABEE
got 2 convex mirrors.
first mounted them at the inboard center point of side mirrors... no likey.
then mounted at top inboard... likey.

i had a real problem with the inside mirror blocking my view but we all fixed it here:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24612
that means that the mirror is 38.75% the size of the vertical windshield...
it sure seems like the ratio could be better... just sayin....

our collective MIRROR patch:
LDGn63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 08:58 PM   #20
JBsC6

Drives: 2008 Blk C6 Z51 NPP
My first car was a 'worked 1969 convertible firebird 350. The car was awesome but blind spots were just part of the drill.

Within a week you get used to the car and then pararell (sp) park to your hearts desire.. Same with the view out the front..

What your describing is just part of the ownerhip experience in a camaro or f body..

just take your time till you get comfortable with the vehicle. It won't take long and remember...the lamboghini Gallardo drivers have it even worse..

If I could learn to parallel park a convertible 69 firebird with a old clouded plastic window back in 1975...and pass a driving test first time out......anybody can enjoy this new glass window'd Camaro with just a short amount of time behind the wheel..

This new camaro is smokin hot!
Old 05-29-2009, 08:59 PM   #21
bluecamaroguy

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS ABM!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDGn63 View Post
got 2 convex mirrors.
first mounted them at the inboard center point of side mirrors... no likey.
then mounted at top inboard... likey.

i had a real problem with the inside mirror blocking my view but we all fixed it here:
Do you have any pictures anywhere of your convex mirrors?
bluecamaroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 09:04 PM   #22
r0cketdr

Drives: RJT 2SS/RS
After owning and driving a Solstice GXP (with the top up), anything else has great visibility! Believe me, you'll get used to it .. enjoy the ride.
r0cketdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 10:23 PM   #23
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
They would have to change the entire body design for it not to have this issue.

It would be more like the 4th generation.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 10:25 PM   #24
SicSix6
The Demon Photographer

Drives: 2010 1SS IOM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecamaroguy View Post
Hey guys so I test drove a black 1LT yesterday at a dealership. First thing I was looking for was the infamous blind spots that I keep reading about. When I first got in they didn't look as bad as I thought they would be. But when I started driving it definitely got really hard to see when I needed to switch lanes (busy 4-5 lane freeway with lots of cars and I did adjust the mirrors correctly). The side mirrors did work pretty well but I kept wanting to look back and make sure there wasn't a car there just to be sure (habit from driving a truck).

I am not sure if this is something you get used to or what. But I have always driven a truck where I just look behind me and I can see everything easily. In the camaro I did feel really boxed in and paranoid because the side windows are also very small and I felt visibility was not that great out the back either. When driving it instantly did remind me of a "tank gunner" view that I had read about.

Whenever I tried to change lanes I automatically looked behind me and I kept seeing the inside of the car and not the road which sucked big time for a truck guy like me

I have read lots on this forum so I know that everyone says you aren't supposed to get a nice view or a nice interior in a muscle car. That is fine for the hardcore guys but what about random people who use this car as a daily driver.

I am also pretty short at 5'6'' but the seat did adjust enough for me to have my head almost at the roof. Anyone who has driven the camaro extensively have any thoughts on this subject?
The blind spots are no different than the blind spots in the older 80's -2002 F-bodies.

1SS IOM LS3, GM 4-pack guages, SLP SS Front Emblem, Roto-Fab CAI, Solo Performance Mach X Exhaust, Barton Industries Short Throw Shifter
SicSix6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 10:28 PM   #25
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
If you were really a tank gunner you'd think the visibility is great.

Last edited by Mr Twisty; 05-31-2009 at 07:30 AM.
Mr Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 10:34 PM   #26
Kwaz1335
The Kwaz

Drives: Black 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Kwaz1335
it took me a while to get used to my mustang..especially with the slightly wider and rounded fenders of a Cobra and the huge pillars in the back. You will see...over time you will get used to it. Most times I don't even realize I lean forward to check my blind spot in my mirrors. I find that if you are seated correctly and not leaned back all gangster style...your ability to compensate for those blind spots increases. It took almost taking out a few cars in my blind spots on the expressway before getting used to them
Picked up and brought home 6/26/2009
2010 Black on Black SS/RS Camaro
Silver stripe package
Ground effects package
6 Speed Manual Transmission with Hurst short throw, Magnuson Supercharger, SLP loudmouth 1 kit.
Kwaz1335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 10:58 PM   #27
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Drives: Gunmetal
Never drove a 4th gen cuz I was too young to drive at the time. However, driving the 5th gen I was very intimidated by the initial feeling of an "awkward lens of the outside world" from the inside, at first. Driving it and feeling the way the whole car comes together as a whole and the handling being so confidence inspiring visibility took a back-seat. It's really not that bad just takes some getting use to, and if anything at all should teach you to be more aware of your surroundings while driving.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:37 AM   #28
gtownCJA

Drives: Toyota Tacoma
I just rented the Camaro - an auto 1LT - from Avis in Chicago. They had about five on the lot just sitting there.

Anyway, I was surprised about the visibility. It's not as bad as I thought. Once you get the mirrors positioned right, changing lanes was a snap even in busy Chicago loop traffic. The rearview is useable if your seat is at the right height. The car I have has the moonroof, so it restricts how high you can sit, but the rearview is not as bad as I first thought.

The only thing that I had to get used to was the length of the hood. I drive a truck, so this was a major issue. I was pulling into the hotel here in Chicago and was not quite sure what was in front of me down at curb level.

I still think this visibility issue is overblown. GM had to make compromises to make such an awesome car. After a few minutes, it was not even an issue.
gtownCJA is offline   Reply With Quote