Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-12-2007, 08:08 AM   #57
wirewilly

Drives: 96 Eldorado
I don't need a 600 hp Camaro, 575 hp will do!!!!!!!!
wirewilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 11:34 AM   #58
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Shoot, I'd "settle" for a 450hp Z/28 as long as it had stellar handling, braking, etc. to straighten out the curves. You can bet though that I would not turn down more HP!
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 05:17 PM   #59
AFSNightrod
Back in Black

Drives: 2005 Cadillac CTS-V
Send a message via AIM to AFSNightrod Send a message via Yahoo to AFSNightrod
Hey I never said I wouldn't mind a 600HP Camaro from Chevy. I just think that it would be a bit optimistic. Plus 600HP in such a mass marketed car? We would truly be entering a new era of automotive history.
AFSNightrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 11:39 PM   #60
Eisenhower
I drank what?

Drives: DANGEROUSLY
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFord View Post
anyone else think that its no coincidence that we've got the camaro coming out in 09, corvette goes to the C7. the introduction of this new LS3, and LS9 both the 6.2L engine, one's blown with the capibility of pushing 700hp due to thicker cylinder walls. not to mention that 6.2L is just a more aggressive version of the LS2, but it has higher flowing cylinder heads derived from the LS7, a more aggressive camshaft, a revised valve train with offset intake rocker arms, a high-flow intake manifold, and high-flow fuel injectors from the LS7 engine. think about it we've all heard the rumors of the vette pushing 650-700hp in 09, and we know that shelby gt 500 kr is gonna have 540 hp and viper's got 600 hp. they're not blowing a LS7 that already has a compression ratio of 11:1. so heres my prediction (an optimistic one) for the Vette Base model C7 505 hp LS7, ZO6 700 hp LS9. For the camaro, V6 who cares I wont be getting one. Z28 LS3 430hp, SS LS7 505 hp. For those saying why do that when you can get the LS3 and make a LS9, the difference between them are the thick cylinder walls which makes it capable of handeling forced induction. they said that displacement is actually lower in the LS9 due to the reinforced cylinder walls, which is why I think GM wont put them in any car without a blower on it. but thats just my 2 cents
I think TFord might be right on the money...
http://news.windingroad.com/auto-new...-in-the-flesh/
Eisenhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 12:57 AM   #61
Bait8
Balance

Drives: A torque-less wonder.
LoL, everyone is shooting so high for such a low price. I am getting interested in seeing what actually will be released.

"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today" - James Dean
Bait8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 01:10 AM   #62
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
We all are! lol...but who here really thinks the price of the GM made and GM delivered top of the line Camaro will be surpassing the corvette? The Camaro has always been and should always be within the price range of the average person and younger generations. I can see the fully decked out, top of the line convertible going for $35K. I see GMMG building special edition Camaros for well above that....and how did this become a price thread too!!! ahhhh...the cost of the LS7.

The LS7 will be history by the time the Camaro comes out. But, not to worry, GM will have better engines with higher rpm's, more torque, and better fuel economy by this time. The LS7 is truly a work of art as I've said before. But, I have a gut feeling we haven't seen anything yet!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 08:08 AM   #63
wirewilly

Drives: 96 Eldorado
Smile

I don't mean to sound like I'm made of money, because believe me I'm not. But, why is everyone trying and hoping this NEW Camaro is going to be so inexpensive? I can remember back in 2001 looking at a new SS Camaro with every toy avail. at it was $34,000. I would be thrilled if the Top Camaro(500 hp plus) costs $40,000. Just how I see it.
wirewilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 08:13 AM   #64
Rock36
I just like V8s

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirewilly View Post
I don't mean to sound like I'm made of money, because believe me I'm not. But, why is everyone trying and hoping this NEW Camaro is going to be so inexpensive? I can remember back in 2001 looking at a new SS Camaro with every toy avail. at it was $34,000. I would be thrilled if the Top Camaro(500 hp plus) costs $40,000. Just how I see it.

I agree, those are definitely the memories I have of what the top camaro ran back towards the end of the run of the 4th gen.

I personally don't see it being any cheaper than the outgoing GTO which was in the low $30K range (unless you got a spectacular deal from factory plans or because the dealer was trying to clear the lots). The GTO had a great price for what it offered, no shame in that. It was an incredible value for a 400hp/400 ft-lbs RWD coupe.

But weren't we talking about the possibility of the LS7?

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Rock36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:00 AM   #65
LSxcellent

Drives: MINI Cooper S
Yeah, I think we can all say with confidence that the engine in the Camaro SS will share many components with the Blue Devil and the Cadillac CTS-V. It just makes good sense from a product planning perspective... if they all have the same major components, it divides the cost between as many platforms as possible.

My theory (FWIW) is that the Camaro SS will show up with about 600hp in 2010. This will also be packaged with all kinds of heavy duty hardware... uprated brakes, limited slip diff, trans cooler, heavy duty half shafts, etc. It should cost about $50K at that time (my guess only).

~LSx
LSxcellent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:20 AM   #66
Eisenhower
I drank what?

Drives: DANGEROUSLY
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirewilly View Post
Well you're obviously going to pay more for a Super Sport.
At the same time, GM is trying to sell at least 100,000 Camaros. They have to keep value in mind because they need to be competitive with the Ford Rustang. Down here in Florida, you can buy a brand new Ford Rustang GT for anywhere between $25-27,000, that's a V-8. So GM has to have a V-8 priced under $30,000 as well, Bob Lutz' has already said that.
I'm sure they'll have pricer models with more hp, but then so do all the auto makers. GM has a projected target of how many Camaros they need to sell, and they can't do that if they're pricing their "general" fleet of Camaro's next to $40,000.
IMO, people buy "looks". If your car "looks" good, you're going to sell it. And the Camaro looks better than good so I don't think GM'll have any trouble reaching their goal.
Eisenhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 12:10 PM   #67
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Eisenhower hit the nail on the head, their will be a v8 under 30k. The question is which v8? The LS2 and LS7 are going out of production so what other v8 can compete in the 350 hp range (rumored hp for the 2009 mustang). The realistic guess is probably the answer.

Back on topic, I will say it again the LS7 is on its way out the camaro wont get it in a production model (though probably some dealer or aftermarket company would drop one in).
Old 06-14-2007, 03:17 PM   #68
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
What about the 6.0L V8 they're going to be using in the G8? Puts out 362 horses...I can deal with that!

I have this theory: that there is an amount of hp that is too much. 362 is respectable and to be feared. 450 is mighty powerful -too be feared even more, 600 - yeah okay; wow(overkill), 700 - your reaching useless territory. Everytime you step on the pedal you'll be buying a new set of tires. And of course there is the weight issue vs hp, and I realize that, but you see where I'm going?
I don't see where you're going to use 600 and up hp...except on the strip. but I don't consider that a race - I see it as more of a measurement. A real race will kill you if you can't control those 600+ horses (and not many can). IT TAKES A GOOD DRIVER TO WIN A RACE, NOT A CAR. And certainly 362hp - which I see as the minimum V8 power coming out of Camaro - gives a driver the tools he needs to win.

Just my $0.02, take it or leave it
Old 06-14-2007, 03:36 PM   #69
Silverado
GM Guy For Life

Drives: 2010 GMC Yukon XL
What about the 6.0L V8 they put in the Escalade and the Sierra Denalis? It puts out 402 HP?

Okay, some might say it's a truck engine, but still, 6.0L V8 putting out over 400HP for a truck should mean it's possible for the car version. Besides, are they really that different any more?

It would seem to me that GM has enough part sharing/commonality across the product range that they could put some serious muscle into the Camaro without having to increase costs too much (if any) building it. I've always thought that if an automaker could find a way to start using engines (just as one example) in more vehicles than that engine was originally designed for, then you start defraying the cost of that engine's design and development over more cars, the per unit cost goes down. But, I'm no Accountant, that's for sure.

Either way, I think it should be relatively easy for Chevy to put a lot of power under the of the Camaro with any of the engines (even the V-6 should be capable of 320-340).
Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 03:55 PM   #70
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverado View Post
What about the 6.0L V8 they put in the Escalade and the Sierra Denalis? It puts out 402 HP?

Okay, some might say it's a truck engine, but still, 6.0L V8 putting out over 400HP for a truck should mean it's possible for the car version. Besides, are they really that different any more?

It would seem to me that GM has enough part sharing/commonality across the product range that they could put some serious muscle into the Camaro without having to increase costs too much (if any) building it. I've always thought that if an automaker could find a way to start using engines (just as one example) in more vehicles than that engine was originally designed for, then you start defraying the cost of that engine's design and development over more cars, the per unit cost goes down. But, I'm no Accountant, that's for sure.

Either way, I think it should be relatively easy for Chevy to put a lot of power under the of the Camaro with any of the engines (even the V-6 should be capable of 320-340).
Mmm. I'd say that's pushing it. They just released a 300 hp V6, and that was a breakthrough.