Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 03-06-2009, 07:23 PM   #1
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
Shutting Detroit Down

i just heard this song by John Rich on the radio. i don't really know what to think. i see what he's saying about how wall street executives get the bailout money & forget about the rest of the country, but i don't think it's really as bad as he's making it out to be. any thoughts?

ps - sorry, but this is the best video i could find
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 07:24 PM   #2
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
its not as bad as some are making it out, but worse than others are making it out to be.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 07:42 PM   #3
meanmike
Account Suspended

Drives: FIRST ON RACE DAY
I think dick's like this are part of the problem. Let's just see how many simple minded fool's we can get to help screw the American auto industry.
meanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 07:53 PM   #4
Blownhotrodder

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
I dont think you fully understand the song.
Blownhotrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 08:01 PM   #5
meanmike
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blownhotrodder View Post
I dont think you fully understand the song.
If your refering to me, then I hope I didnt. I sure didnt want to think that but that's what I took from it.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:17 PM   #6
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanmike View Post
If your refering to me, then I hope I didnt. I sure didnt want to think that but that's what I took from it.
It's a short social commentary about how the media and DC proper throws up a smokescreen for us to follow while those fat cats kill the economy with their greed and by association "Shut Detroit Down." It's about how the news is leading us away with hopes and promises that everything will be alright. Meanwhile DC just throws money and bailouts at the bankers while continuing the "It'll be alright, America" rhetoric.

Sort of extreme, but at the same time sort of true. I had faith in humanity, that all those stories of late 19th century big business and boss greed was just blown out of proportion. At least, until I saw that what the Media said about corporate greed was true. And now I'm sure the rest of the country is feeling this. Feeling betrayed and now just pulling back into a shell of safety until it all blows over, when those corrupt people in DC and Wall street show a sliver of good will and humanity. Sad.
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 08:19 PM   #7
Blownhotrodder

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Are you for the big wig CEO's and such that are getting millions and bonuses, that arent really suffering or are you for the factory workers that have worked hard for years building what is basically the heart of america losing their jobs, benefits, pay, etc. Wall Street slugs that are getting million dollar bonuses even though the market is tanking along with mine and your savings all while they get free bailout money from the taxpayers. Hes standing up for the "regular guy".
Blownhotrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 08:29 PM   #8
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blownhotrodder View Post
Are you for the big wig CEO's and such that are getting millions and bonuses, that arent really suffering or are you for the factory workers that have worked hard for years building what is basically the heart of america losing their jobs, benefits, pay, etc. Wall Street slugs that are getting million dollar bonuses even though the market is tanking along with mine and your savings all while they get free bailout money from the taxpayers. Hes standing up for the "regular guy".
Yep, get the Vaseline out.. it'll be a long night.
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 08:54 PM   #9
meanmike
Account Suspended

Yep I got it. I think with all the negativity and crap with the new's and what get's spread on the forum's not this one but this certain G8 forum, I took it the wrong way.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:13 AM   #10
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I'm sure this cowboy really cares about Detroit. What state is known for longhorns, steers, and that lone star? I'm pretty sure it wasn't Michigan.

If this isn't selfishly trying to profit from others' failures, then I don't know what is. He wrote this song because he wanted to make money on a market in recession, not because he has a political agenda that supports Detroit in any way.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 04:15 PM   #11
kylepo

Drives: 2002 firehawk.....missing 02CE
I hate this god damn song!
kylepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:24 PM   #12
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
I'm sure this cowboy really cares about Detroit. What state is known for longhorns, steers, and that lone star? I'm pretty sure it wasn't Michigan.
So just because someone isn't from Detroit or even Michigan means that they must not care?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:01 PM   #13
KJS

Drives: '10 RJT,'95&'14 Vette
Keep in mind its easy to bash the "wall st." gang. But take it from me, only the very top dicks get the big bucks. There are thousands of secretaries, programmers, cleaning crews, accountants, and regular folks who got screwed by the fat cats.
Best to understand there are plenty of regular wall st. folk who are out of work thru no falt of their own. And believe me, the bonuses for the the regular folks IF THEY GOT ONE ain't even close to the senior management. I was there ... but not anymore and not by my choice.
KJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 01:29 PM   #14
rgrizzard

Drives: Wanting New Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJS View Post
Keep in mind its easy to bash the "wall st." gang. But take it from me, only the very top dicks get the big bucks. There are thousands of secretaries, programmers, cleaning crews, accountants, and regular folks who got screwed by the fat cats.
Best to understand there are plenty of regular wall st. folk who are out of work thru no falt of their own. And believe me, the bonuses for the the regular folks IF THEY GOT ONE ain't even close to the senior management. I was there ... but not anymore and not by my choice.
True point.
But it's the same with every big corporation including automakers. The little guy does the work for the big guy and the big guy gets paid for it...

We all get screwed because of our CEO's. How often do you see news headlines about a rash of CEO's laid-off? Even when one gets canned, they get "The Package" for that soft landing, meanwhile we get a week or 2 for every year we have been with a company...
rgrizzard is offline   Reply With Quote