Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 09-05-2012, 10:04 AM   #1
John3006

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS w/ Synergy Package
Tune question

I have read in maybe a million places on this forum that a tune voids the warranty. Can anybody tell me how likely it is that a tune would cause a problem with my engine? And how can they (dealer/GM) tell if the tune caused the problem?--don't they have to prove that it caused the problem to void it? Thanks, John
John3006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:55 AM   #2
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by John3006 View Post
I have read in maybe a million places on this forum that a tune voids the warranty. Can anybody tell me how likely it is that a tune would cause a problem with my engine? And how can they (dealer/GM) tell if the tune caused the problem?--don't they have to prove that it caused the problem to void it? Thanks, John
Hello John, a JRE tune will NEVER hurt your Engine or Trans, I can't speak for other tunes, I have seen some Doozies.

It is not like GM rides around with RADAR checking everyones car for a tune just so they can void your warranty.

In the Event of an Engine, Failure they will check your computer to see it if has ever been flashed more times than the factory has on record, if they find 2 flashes and they have 1 on record they can DENY a WARRANTY REPAIR on the Engine this does not void the entire cars warranty but the Drivetrain warranty.

If you modify your Car in Any Way you Share the Same Risk of Warranty Denial.

You have To Be your own Warranty Station if you want to play in this sandbox.

On the other Hand I have tuned over 1100 Gen5 Camaros and not one of my customers has had they're Warranty Denied or Voided.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:24 AM   #3
Tampa Tuning
Account Suspended

Drives: TAMPA TUNING FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
Tampa Tuning Camaro Corvette GTO GM Trucks performance tuning

Ive yet to see with bolt ons and under where the tune had caused a drivetrain failure. Ive seen high HP builds fail because guys didnt spend a couple extra bucks on insurance upgrade parts.

I cant belame GM for their position. They street a car very conservative to last 5 years and a day or 100,001 miles so they dont pay for a warranty claim. their gamble is they build it or dummied it down enough to not have any issues. Change the configuration to go faster, and its on you.

On a bolt ons and under vehicle, your really going to gain about 10% more power than the orginal configuration. Start going to high horsepower builds, I see transmissions or clutches give long before a motor.

You risk more going to the track in the stock configuration and sticky drag slicks and having something snap with the traction control off, than you are with a tune and street tires.
www.TampaTuning.com
Phil
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:33 PM   #4
wesmantooth
Banned

Drives: Camro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
Hello John, a JRE tune will NEVER hurt your Engine or Trans, I can't speak for other tunes, I have seen some Doozies.
i have had many jannetty tunes that were mild to wild. i have always had great success with each and every jannetty tune.
FACT: no one is better than ted jannetty
wesmantooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:56 PM   #5
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
I haven't had any trouble with my tune. The dude knows his stuff Unless there's cause for them to check the tune (e.g. engine failure, like Ted mentioned) they will probably never even know. I've had mine in for a few issues that weren't at all related to my mods. My rear main seal was leaking. They took care of it, no problem. Some dealers are cooler than others, but just understand that if the car breaks because of something you did to it, you're most likely going to have to foot the bill.

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:25 AM   #6
ELEVEN80

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesmantooth View Post
i have had many jannetty tunes that were mild to wild. i have always had great success with each and every jannetty tune.
FACT: no one is better than ted jannetty
ELEVEN80 is offline   Reply With Quote