Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 12-09-2012, 12:33 AM   #1
con10der
Con10der

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 IOM Rally Stripes
ECM Tuning and Warranty??

So its my understanding that if we tune our rides that it will void our warranties. And if tuned, we can re-tune back to stock...BUT the dealer can detect that as well.

So if the above holds true...Can we by-pass that risk by buying a second tuned ECM. And if one must need to go to dealer, just replace the stock ECM?

And if yes...will the ECM's be plug-n-play? No others adjustments required?
2010 2SS/RS M6 IOM w/Rally Stripes. BLK CAI w/ADM,WW Relo,2" Kooks,3" Cats-Mids,Vmax Ported TB,Muff Del,Janetty SCT Tuned,Drill/Slot BLK Hawk rotors,Red Grani Brake Lines,Motul 600,IDEAL Master w/res,Moroso CC,Accel Silver Tips w/TVolt 10.4mm,MGW shift w/Retro hand/ball,ABL Kit,Billet/IOM pedals, ZL1 split,Lloyds SS mats,PC Droid4/MAXX docking,HW Solo2.
Pend Install: Launch/Shift Light,BMR Susp/1" Drop/Sways/Track Pack,GM 3.9. Future: Janetty Pumpkin w/PosiTrac,1400HP axl,CF DS,Tick Stage 2 Trans,3 Disc Clutch,4"quad tip,center exit AB w/diff...
con10der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:04 AM   #2
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
Just do a search, your question has been asked and answered several times. Bottom line is it will not work. GM has thought this through.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:38 AM   #3
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by con10der View Post
So its my understanding that if we tune our rides that it will void our warranties. And if tuned, we can re-tune back to stock...BUT the dealer can detect that as well.

So if the above holds true...Can we by-pass that risk by buying a second tuned ECM. And if one must need to go to dealer, just replace the stock ECM?

Each ECM has it's own Unique ID for security reasons, and if you get one computer to work the other one won't.

And you need the Dealer to Calibrate the computer so they then have a record of replacement ECM.

Trust me they are not coming to your house to void your warranty

With over 1200 JRE tuned Customers Voiding has Never happened that I Know of.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:44 AM   #4
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by con10der View Post

Nope. Using a second ECM isn't possible.

First they are strictly controlled by GM. Getting a blank ECM requires you sending in your old ECM. Second they can tell if you swap out the ECMs. Third ECM's are not plug and play, a dealer has to activate it every time you swap it out.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:54 PM   #5
East Coast Supercharging

Drives: 8 second C5 Drag Car, C6 Road racer
We have performed thousands of mail order tunes, and many more custom tunes over the last 15 years now, to date I have never had a warranty voided because of it.
East Coast Supercharging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:36 PM   #6
Mike Norris
Account Suspended

The only time they will check the ECM is if there is a major drive-train failure where tuning could have been part of the cause or the actual cause.

Contrary to what was mentioned here, you can have a second ECM and use it for tuning and then keep the stock ECM available in case of an issue. I have seen it done.

Mike Norris
Mike Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:30 PM   #7
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Norris View Post
Contrary to what was mentioned here, you can have a second ECM and use it for tuning and then keep the stock ECM available in case of an issue. I have seen it done.

Mike Norris
While I've swapped ECMs on other platforms, are you 100% sure about this on the Gen 5 Camaro with the GDS and what about the odometer that is supposedly referenced in the ECM as well as the BCM?

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote