Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 07-30-2012, 09:02 PM   #1
Legend96

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Victory Red
Opinion- Pioneer Deh-p99RS, or Kenwood 9990HD?

Just looking for others opinions on these 2 radios! My main priority is sound quality, but also like some of the options the Kenwood has! I own a 2011 Rally Hellow 2SS, and I've ordered the Scosche dash kit!
Just wondering about some of your opinions before I make this jump!

PS: I'm working on Dynamating my interior before I make my choice
Thanks
Legend96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:12 PM   #2
Double D Mods

Drives: 2012 Grand Sport Convertible Vette
9990HD gets my vote.

I have plenty instock as well.
Double D Mods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:38 PM   #3
darkrider01
Aural Assault Vehicle

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS, 2015 Sierra Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend96 View Post
Just looking for others opinions on these 2 radios! My main priority is sound quality, but also like some of the options the Kenwood has! I own a 2011 Rally Hellow 2SS, and I've ordered the Scosche dash kit!
Just wondering about some of your opinions before I make this jump!

PS: I'm working on Dynamating my interior before I make my choice
Thanks
I had a very difficult time with this same decision. I ended up choosing the AVH-P8400BH because I wanted a backup camera and I had a JBL MS-8 on the way (31 band EQ+ a lot of other stuff). If you're looking for the ultimate in sound quality though, it's going to be very hard to beat the DEX-P99RS in terms of current SQ head units.

I also chose the AVH-P8400BH because I could care less about navigation (my Bionic does excellent navigation).

On the other hand, the Kenwood has a reverse tilt feature. If I had known before hand that some of the Kenwoods have that reverse tilt, and how hard it is to see my Pioneer when in direct sunlight, I probably would have went with a Kenwood with that feature. Probably wouldn't be an issue with the DEX-P99RS, but it's a huge plus for the Kenwood units.
Power Mods * K&N Typhoon CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back exhaust, Hurst Short Throw Shifter Exterior Mods * Black Phantom Grille * 22" T.I.S. 537MS wheels w/ Nitto INVO rubber * OEM body kit Suspension Mods * BC Racing Coilovers * Lakewood Strut Tower Brace Audio Mods * Stinger SPP 2250 Battery * Mosconi 6to8v8 w/ RCD * Pioneer AVH-X7500BT * Scosche Dash Kit * 2 - Mosconi AS200.4 * 2 - JL Audio 13W6v2 * Focal 165KRX2 Power (active) * Mosconi Gladen One 240.2 * Rockford Fosgate Power T1692
darkrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:20 AM   #4
camarograna2
Car Enthusiast

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow Camaro 2SS A/T
Send a message via MSN to camarograna2
9990HD gets my vote
I got it with the scosche kit and you have to do a soldering workaround to get the sterring wheel control to work. no biggie i an send you the pdf if you want.

I have my 9990 installed with backup camera as well. So not sure what darkrider01 meant by "I ended up choosing the AVH-P8400BH because I wanted a backup camera "

check out the thread link on my sig to check out my car. its yellow also
Old 07-31-2012, 10:55 AM   #5
darkrider01
Aural Assault Vehicle

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS, 2015 Sierra Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarograna2 View Post
9990HD gets my vote
I got it with the scosche kit and you have to do a soldering workaround to get the sterring wheel control to work. no biggie i an send you the pdf if you want.

I have my 9990 installed with backup camera as well. So not sure what darkrider01 meant by "I ended up choosing the AVH-P8400BH because I wanted a backup camera "

check out the thread link on my sig to check out my car. its yellow also
I said that because the backup camera is why I chose the AVH-P8400BH over the DEX-P99RS. The DEX-P99RS is a single din unit and does not have the ability to have a backup camera. I chose backup camera and an external sound processor over the very superior sound quality of the DEX-P99RS.

I thought about going with the factory rear view mirror camera from the 2012's, but the mirror is just huge.
Power Mods * K&N Typhoon CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back exhaust, Hurst Short Throw Shifter Exterior Mods * Black Phantom Grille * 22" T.I.S. 537MS wheels w/ Nitto INVO rubber * OEM body kit Suspension Mods * BC Racing Coilovers * Lakewood Strut Tower Brace Audio Mods * Stinger SPP 2250 Battery * Mosconi 6to8v8 w/ RCD * Pioneer AVH-X7500BT * Scosche Dash Kit * 2 - Mosconi AS200.4 * 2 - JL Audio 13W6v2 * Focal 165KRX2 Power (active) * Mosconi Gladen One 240.2 * Rockford Fosgate Power T1692
darkrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:09 AM   #6
camarograna2
Car Enthusiast

OIC you were giving alternatives to OP options. got it thanks
Old 07-31-2012, 08:55 PM   #7
Legend96

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Victory Red
Love the Kenwoods, however it's still hard for me to defer from the Pioneer 99RS. Personally I'm looking for sheer sound quality! Still keeping an open mind though! I only wish I could personally hear/see each one of them in person!!!!
Legend96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:20 PM   #8
CrutchfieldBrooke

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 1968 Camaro
Wow. That's a tough choice. That Pioneer is certainly a unit focused purely on sound quality, but the Kenwood looks so nice installed in the dash and has some great features.
CrutchfieldBrooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:41 PM   #9
Silver-SS

Drives: 2012 2SS RS
I am also torn between these 2 as well. One problem I see with the pioneer is how a single din is going to look in the dash. Probably have to use a cubby to fill the other din slot :( I really want a good sq double din so I'll probably end up with the Kenwood myself. Although there is a new unit coming from alpine 702 or 720 I believe that might have some good sq features.
Of topic but is there any Hertz dealers in here? Looking for some hsk 165xl's and like to support the community.
Silver-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:54 PM   #10
camarograna2
Car Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-SS View Post
I am also torn between these 2 as well. One problem I see with the pioneer is how a single din is going to look in the dash. Probably have to use a cubby to fill the other din slot :( I really want a good sq double din so I'll probably end up with the Kenwood myself. Although there is a new unit coming from alpine 702 or 720 I believe that might have some good sq features.
Of topic but is there any Hertz dealers in here? Looking for some hsk 165xl's and like to support the community.

Check with member Indpowr. He has a Hertz setup and is from Florida. He could probably help you

Last edited by camarograna2; 08-03-2012 at 05:44 PM.
camarograna2 is offline   Reply With Quote