Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-28-2014, 11:43 AM   #43
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructo09 View Post
Hey, some people just like different things, he wants a faster car, and if he's got the money to get what he wants then more power to him.

I would agree the SS isn't slow, but the CTS-V is faster, it just sounds like OP wants more power and I think the decision to buy something that's faster stock will be a more reliable one than supercharging his current car. It certainly makes way more sense from the money side, you'll never see that 7-8k again from the Camaro, but the CTS already comes with it.
This is comparing apples and oranges. The OP chose an SS over a supercharged Camaro when he bought his car. He obviously wasn't concerned about hp at that time because he made another decision to forego 26 hp by choosing automatic over manual. Would he have chosen the NA CTS over his current Camaro? Apparently not, or he would have one now.
Old 12-28-2014, 12:00 PM   #44
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydriver View Post
This is comparing apples and oranges. The OP chose an SS over a supercharged Camaro when he bought his car. He obviously wasn't concerned about hp at that time because he made another decision to forego 26 hp by choosing automatic over manual. Would he have chosen the NA CTS over his current Camaro? Apparently not, or he would have one now.
Well, I think the L99 and LS3 are pretty much dead even despite the HP difference.

I've driven a L99 Convertible and of course my LS3 coupe and the L99 didn't feel as fast, but judging by the speedo it wasn't really slower, I think the automatic just gives that illusion.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Hurst Billet short shifter
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune (421 RWHP)
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 12:21 PM   #45
LOBBS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Well, I think the L99 and LS3 are pretty much dead even despite the HP difference.

I've driven a L99 Convertible and of course my LS3 coupe and the L99 didn't feel as fast, but judging by the speedo it wasn't really slower, I think the automatic just gives that illusion.
The L99 is actually quicker 0-60 and they're dead even thru the quarter in stock form. This has been documented ad nauseum by the various car mags. Final gearing and VVT makes up for the slight HP difference. The auto doesn't "feel" as exciting doing its work but it's the truth just the same. Some people just can't look past horsepower numbers.
LOBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 12:32 PM   #46
sscarolina

Drives: Victory Red 1ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOBBS View Post
As much as some would like to believe the 1LE is not it's own separate model. It's just an option package like the RS. Secondly, the L99 stock and LS3 stock are pretty much even in the quarter if not a slight advantage to the L99.
I was just saying the same thing... a 1le is just an ss with some sexy parts on it and the L99 is a tad faster than the LS3 in a straight line.
sscarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 12:50 PM   #47
sscarolina

Drives: Victory Red 1ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver2S View Post
Picked up my 2012 2SS L99 in April. It had 4k in miles on it. It now has 12k on it and is being stored for winter.
The problem is that it just seems slow and now that the SS is the third fastest Camaro it just doesn't have that umph factor for me anymore. A SC would solve that but it would still be a SS with a blower on it.
The car I'm looking at now is a CTS V between a 2009 and 2011 used. It doesn't have the sports car cool factor but it does have the extra 150 hp and better suspension and easier to mod to get more hp. I would love to a have a used ZL1 but they are just about $10k more then a used CTS-V.
So souls I keep the Camaro and save up and put a blower on it trade it in and get a V?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks like for your taste and what you are looking for out of your vehicle I would trade the ss for the ctsv. In stock form you already have a platform to work with out the box.. plus the resale value will probably still be close to the new alpha platform camaro.. Options..Options
sscarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 01:42 PM   #48
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:

Remember the convertible weighs more than the coupe too... Weight slows ya down...
Old 12-28-2014, 01:50 PM   #49
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver2S View Post
Picked up my 2012 2SS L99 in April. It had 4k in miles on it. It now has 12k on it and is being stored for winter.
The problem is that it just seems slow and now that the SS is the third fastest Camaro it just doesn't have that umph factor for me anymore. A SC would solve that but it would still be a SS with a blower on it.
The car I'm looking at now is a CTS V between a 2009 and 2011 used. It doesn't have the sports car cool factor but it does have the extra 150 hp and better suspension and easier to mod to get more hp. I would love to a have a used ZL1 but they are just about $10k more then a used CTS-V.
So souls I keep the Camaro and save up and put a blower on it trade it in and get a V?

I am an old-school hotrod/musclecar guy

My first thought here is that there is always a faster car than yours. Always. Chasing that superlative is going to make you very unhappy. 'My car feels slow' tells me that for you, the grass is always greener somewhere else.

My second thought here is that you don't need a supercharger. You need a higher numeric rear gear. Everyone talks power power power and it is sexy to brag hp. Peak hp is very nice but it's not available at every rpm. "Power" is also typically how we refer to hp, and your heavy Camaro (mine too) wants more torque in my opinion, so why not consider the 3.91:1 rear gear and put down 13% more torque. That change will also not prevent you from chasing "power" if you still need to scratch the peak hp itch.
Old 12-28-2014, 02:00 PM   #50
Silver2S

Drives: 2012 Silver Camaro SS 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydriver View Post

At the time of purchase the ZL1 supercharged Camaro was not in the budget(still isn't). The L99 is actually quicker 0-60 and only a .10th slower on the quarter mile vs the LS3. Since I DD it in the summer I did not want a manual in 40 mile commute to work when rush hour traffic happens so I opted for the auto.
I was just reading on Super Chevy article of how to get into the 12's with bolt on's for a L99 2012 SS. After adding up just the cost of parts with no labor it was about $3500 add labor and your about $5-6k total and it still wasn't as fast as a V in stock form without Mickey Thompson drag radials.
I'm not a horsepower junkie that is looking for always something to make it faster (1400hp comments) but the Camaro just doesn't seem like it has a lot of power and the cost of a blower $7k would put me in V territory IF I can get it to hook up. I do love the looks of the Camaro better though.

Silver2S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 02:49 PM   #51
eymang

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS & 1991 Vert
The CTS-V is not as common. There are alot of Camaros and "pony or muscle cars" but the V has alot more class. But if you are just thinking... I would wait and think 6th Gen as well.
eymang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 04:01 PM   #52
cmracing

Drives: 2014 RS/SS
The CTS-V may have more power, but it is also ugly............
cmracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 04:21 PM   #53
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Drives: C7 Z06 manual, 18 Zl1 manual, etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmracing View Post
The CTS-V may have more power, but it is also ugly............
Looks are subjective. I get sooo much more compliments in my "ugly" as you put it 2011 ctsv than I get in my 2ss.
mariojmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 04:23 PM   #54
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Drives: C7 Z06 manual, 18 Zl1 manual, etc
Also not picking fights but the ls3 manual is faster stock than the l99. I ran more than a handful stock and destroyed them lol.
mariojmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 04:30 PM   #55
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro VR 2SS/RS & Impala
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDISIN View Post
Hahaaahaaa my SS seats were way more cushy than the Recaro's in the V. SS was softer sprung, more body roll, floaty compared the V.

Well , of course it's recaros vs. Stock seats ! I guess I was thinking about the CTS!

Performance-wise yes, but the interiors are drastically different (mainstream vs luxury) which may or may not be important to the OP.
Yea, the Camaro interior design is better than the CTS-V but the materials used in the Cadi is luxury quality!
Q'smuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 04:32 PM   #56
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Are you Blue Blooded Ordinary or Red Blooded Extraordinary??

Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote