Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 02-21-2008, 07:41 AM   #1
munkee drummer

Drives: 2010 convertible
Question about waiting list

If you are on a waiting list and say your #6. Do you have to accept the sixth car that arrives at the dealer?
Old 02-21-2008, 08:10 AM   #2
mega_man_01103

Drives: 2011-12 Chevy Camaro
Send a message via AIM to mega_man_01103
i think unless they have put money down, you will be the 6th person called when they arrive. lets say they get in 3 camaro. they will call the forst 3 people on the list and offer the car. if they take em, then you wait for more camaros to come in. if they dont want them, they will continue down the list and so on and so forth. at least that is how i see it.

mega_man_01103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 09:59 AM   #3
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Depends on the dealer and what agreement you have.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:44 AM   #4
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Each dealer gets an allocation of models. So say your dealership gets 6 Camaros a month, then you'll get the last spot in the first allocation. I'm not sure if this is how Chevy does it, but when I worked at a dealership for a different brand this is how it went down: Within that allocation, the region orders a mixture of various common build combinations (trims lines, options, colors, etc) by default and assigns them to a spot in the allocation. That allocation had a "vehicle" assigned to it, but depending how far along in the process it was the concept of a specific vehicle is pretty flexible. Say the car allocated to your dealer hasn't been built yet. Well, then the dealer has a certain degree of freedom to completely custom order it. But if it has been built and left the factory, then all the dealership can do is assign it to a customer. From there they could do a dealer trade, or just assign it to a customer who was on the list and wanted that configuration. So for us, if a customer wanted a specific configuration, their salesman submitted an order to the inventory office, where I worked. We'd put in the request through our manufacturer-dealership network, and it would be put in the queue to be built and assigned to us. However, if they wanted a commonly built configuration or just didn't care (say they wanted just a model xyz but didn't care about trim, color, etc and we just didn't have one single model xyz on the lot) then they would be put on a simple waiting list. When a car was allocated to us, it would go to the first person on the list to match the criteria. So obviously, the less specific they were, the faster we got a match. Hope that helps/was clear. Its a pretty involved process and its hard for me to put it down in writing in a short space without going into a bunch of other topics.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 11:47 AM   #5
MattG
Z/28 or Bust!

Drives: First Camaro: '69 Z28
I'm a control freak. I just want to be on a waiting list to submit my exact build specifications... color, trim, options, everything.
MattG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 10:14 PM   #6
chevys

Drives: 03 Mach 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by munkee drummer View Post
If you are on a waiting list and say your #6. Do you have to accept the sixth car that arrives at the dealer?
You dont have to do anything but die and pay taxes.

This talk of waiting lists really just makes me nauseous. Guys, this isnt some exotic car. This is a mass produced vehicle that needs to sell in order to keep it alive. There is not a doubt in my mind that there are going to be some people who have to be the first to have one. Make no mistake, they will take one where the sun doesnt shine for the team.

If I like the car, Im going to sit back and see what issues they have and wait out the furry and buy with a deep deep discount. The 10 Mustang has been bumped way up and may even beat the Camaro to the market. That will only mean good things to buyers. GM is not going to be the only player on the block with a new design so its likely that with just a tad of patience you will be able to buy either with a nice cut. Ford is not going to roll over and play dead and that is a good thing no matter what you buy.

Its just my 2 cents because thats all I have but trust me on being patient. I have seen all sorts of things hyped up when they are new and it will absolutely kill the resale if you buy too high. I know, I know, you are not buying it for resale but resale is usually based on the lowest purchased price.
That has held true for mustangs for years and I cant see why it would be any different with a camaro.

Something else that is on my mind. Im not sure how these things will be optioned but I would be likely to order one anyway depending on what is or is not available. Im not spending that kind of money without getting exactly what I want.
chevys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 10:53 PM   #7
KoolAID

Drives: 2008 Camaro
I checked with GM on this, and the response they gave me was that there are NO GM sponsored waiting lists of any kind, and that any dealer doing so was in violation of policy.

Unfortunate for me, since I would like to get on a legitimate waiting list when/if one is started...
KoolAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 12:35 PM   #8
caddycruiser

Drives: Demo's
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolAID View Post
I checked with GM on this, and the response they gave me was that there are NO GM sponsored waiting lists of any kind, and that any dealer doing so was in violation of policy.

Unfortunate for me, since I would like to get on a legitimate waiting list when/if one is started...
It's more just getting your name on an order/allocation list...which is common. Basically, they have X number they can order, and you're number x on that.

Technically a waiting list, per say, but getting a position in the line of orders...not just random cars showing up and the dealer offering them to whoever is on the list, in order.

Just go to your dealer, and see what they're doing right now. A lot likely still have no real Camaro list, etc. or do and will just say your order is #x when they get their allocation.
caddycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 12:12 AM   #9
Dark Eric

Drives: 1998 Pontiac Firebird
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattG View Post
I'm a control freak. I just want to be on a waiting list to submit my exact build specifications... color, trim, options, everything.
The question is will we have to accept whatever color is there or can we make requests? I want a Navy Blue Camaro with a sunroof. I can't wait until configurations are announced before release...I want to be first in the neighborhood period. I might have to give them two color choices but I just got to have Navy Blue. I'm sure Red, White, Black, Silver and Bumblebee Yellow will be sold or rather 'picked' first. Maybe if there was a Dark Grey Metallic I could go with that too, but the last thing I want to see is someone from my company's sales department pulling up in a Camaro before me.

Oh so we gotta go, wait in line and hope for the best? ouch GM:

Quote:

Old 03-16-2008, 07:47 AM   #10
ClevelandPlasma

Drives: 2010 Ford Raptor
So when are these going to be out?
ClevelandPlasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:18 AM   #11
JustinZS

Drives: waitin on 2010 !!
Quote:

Based on GM's history with a highly anticipated car like the Camaro, anyone know how long before release they generally start wait lists at the dealers? Thanks.
JustinZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 07:28 AM   #12
35th02ss

Drives: 02 SS
The dealers have already started waiting lists. That's fine if you can get on a wait list, however I wouldn't give them a dime as a down payment.
35th02ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 09:39 AM   #13
jims69camaro

Drives: 1969 camaro coupe; 1987 IROC z
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevys View Post
I would be likely to order one anyway depending on what is or is not available. Im not spending that kind of money without getting exactly what I want.
not sure i quite agree with everything else you said, but you hit the nail on the head with this one. i want exactly what i want, not an option more and i will not accept less. and i will, most likely, overpay for it, although i will attempt to keep that in line. some dealers are automatically like, well, if you order it then you are paying MSRP. guess again.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:14 PM   #14
GothamCamaro
Then you're gonna love me

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro Tumbler RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandPlasma View Post
So when are these going to be out?
I suspect March 2009 or possibly end of February 2009.

Anyone that knows of a place that is making the Concept Shifter for the new Camaro. (Auto specifically) Please let me know.

Order# NDTMVP Ordered 10/23/08.
2000 on 5/21/09... It begins.....
4B00 on 6/26/09... In transit to the Cave
5000 on 7/6/09 it waits for my arrival!
1000000 on 7/10/09 The Tumbler is in the Cave!
GothamCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote