Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Closed Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 06:58 PM   #29
b4cz28
TX SS

Drives: 2014 RS/2SS
No comparison between the two if you want power and performance by the ss...if you want to look like you have it but not really have it then buy a v6.
Old 11-28-2015, 07:42 PM   #30
davethewave62

Drives: 2013 2LT/RS
I test drove a V-8 , then a V-6.

I guess it depends on what or why you need the car. I own a company and wanted a good company car to drive and one that gets good gas mileage and looks good too. So I bought the V-6. I also own a Corvette Z-06, that has a 7 litre V-8. IMHO - a V-8 in almost any muscle car will be more fun.
If I were to buy another Camaro, not for work, I would buy the V-8. It sounded better and had the power that makes it fun to drive.
Old 11-28-2015, 08:28 PM   #31
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstuntman View Post
The V6s have a Ferrari sound going on. The V8 has the cop attracting loudness and when i was younger that was great because there weren't as many cops, plus tickets and insurance were cheaper. Times change and nowadays i'll take the Ferrari.

I average 18.x mpg around town and 32.x on the highway.

And i can't say that i'd ever describe the ride of a V6 as smooth and comfy, unless your comparing it to a dump truck.
So your v6 sounds like a ferrari....and my v8 that ive had for 3 years attracts the police. Sorry but i dont agree with anything you said. Nothing against either motor...both are solid but ya......i dont agree.
Old 11-29-2015, 02:12 PM   #32
chuckstacamaro

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS BRM Purchase 03/19/2014
I owned a 2010 LS V6 from Nov. 2009 to March 2014,I attended the first Camaro5 Fest in Valdosta GA and the car ran 14.80's at 97 mph stock. Off the line It was jumping the V8's for the first 60 feet then the V8's would pull away like gang busters. Handling wise the V6 felt more nimble than the V8 going into tight corners, but felt slow going out.

In March 2014, I traded the LS for a 2014 2SS/RS. I ran the car Stock at Orlando Speed World, the best run was 13.52 at 105mph. But the 2SS/RS was consistently in the 13.5's. In the corners the 2SS/RS felt heavier going into a tight turn but was pulling much quicker coming out. After adding a CAI and LT Headers with X pipe high flow cats and low restriction mufflers, the 2SS/RS ran consistent 13.0's at 108mph day long on stock tires. I have added a Bo White Ported Throttle Body and an APEX scoop with washer relocation kit. The Car feels quicker and I am waiting to get a Tune before going back to the track. according to some of my car club buddies they believe I should be able to run 12.6 to 12.70 with the added mods and Tune. V6 vs V8? Fun Factor goes to V8 hands down.
Old 11-29-2015, 04:24 PM   #33
GossipSquirrelJelena
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Mustang GT. Supercharged.
I just wonder why these threads continue to rear their ugly heads. I doubt anyone can truthfully say if money was no object. I'd take the smaller engine or the lower trim. Tree huggers not withstanding.
Old 11-29-2015, 05:00 PM   #34
1Canuck

Drives: 2014 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GossipSquirrelJelena View Post
I just wonder why these threads continue to rear their ugly heads. I doubt anyone can truthfully say if money was no object. I'd take the smaller engine or the lower trim. Tree huggers not withstanding.
well let me be the first to say it. and further I would not buy a mustang if it was the only car for sale. You believe what you want.
Old 11-29-2015, 05:25 PM   #35
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
I had two and it wasn't because I couldn't afford more. Unless you are open minded, you probably won't understand how outstanding some modern V6s and turbo 4 bangers really are.
Old 11-29-2015, 08:28 PM   #36
GossipSquirrelJelena
Account Suspended

Dont take offense. But at the end of the day the highest end model is usually the fastest and most mod friendly. It'll also be the best handling, nicest appointed car. That is a statement in fact. A ZL1 is priced above a SS&LS for a reason! The SS is priced above the v6 for a reason. Of the two V6s you had. Didnt you blow one of the engines up trying to make the 650hp number in your sig? Getting to that power level with the upper level V8s is simple and they will be reliable for a long time! Of course you can make any thing fast. And some people prefer to do things the hard way. Like adding a turbo to a V6. Same with the Honda crowd and their 4 banger Civics that make one clean pass out of 10 at the track! Sure they made a Civic fast enough to beat a more expensive car. But they also rebuild an engine once a season. Or are always replacing axles. A small minority of people feel a need to march to their own drum even if it's not the most sensible approach! But from strictly a reliability or common sense standpoint. The higher end model is the way to go. Stock vs stock the performance of a V6 to a SS isn't even close. Mod both and the V8 will hold up better over the long haul. This isn't a debate about V8s being better than 4s or 6s! Someone puts a Zo6 and a Prius in front of an enthusiast and says pick one. Only an idiot is picking the Prius and saying "f&€k it. I'll turbo the bitch". Entry level sports cars serve a wonderful propose but it's just human nature to want more. I don't know why this simple fact sets the V6 owners off? I freely admit if I could afford a GT350. I wouldn't be in a GT! I didn't say the V6 isn't a nice car. There is a million threads about a v6 owner trading up to a V8 SS. How many threads do you see about V8 owners trading for a V6? So I'll say it again. If money was no object. Why would you want the entry level vehicle if given a choice? And to the kid that commented about the Mustang. LOL. I hope your enjoying your V6 as much as I'm enjoying this Mustang GT.

Last edited by GossipSquirrelJelena; 11-30-2015 at 02:40 AM.
Old 11-30-2015, 12:59 PM   #37
GretchenGotGrowl

Quote:
Dont take offense. But at the end of the day the highest end model is usually the fastest and most mod friendly. It'll also be the best handling, nicest appointed car. That is a statement in fact. A ZL1 is priced above a SS&LS for a reason! The SS is priced above the v6 for a reason. Of the two V6s you had. Didnt you blow one of the engines up trying to make the 650hp number in your sig? Getting to that power level with the upper level V8s is simple and they will be reliable for a long time! Of course you can make any thing fast. And some people prefer to do things the hard way. Like adding a turbo to a V6. Same with the Honda crowd and their 4 banger Civics that make one clean pass out of 10 at the track! Sure they made a Civic fast enough to beat a more expensive car. But they also rebuild an engine once a season. Or are always replacing axles. A small minority of people feel a need to march to their own drum even if it's not the most sensible approach! But from strictly a reliability or common sense standpoint. The higher end model is the way to go. Stock vs stock the performance of a V6 to a SS isn't even close. Mod both and the V8 will hold up better over the long haul. This isn't a debate about V8s being better than 4s or 6s! Someone puts a Zo6 and a Prius in front of an enthusiast and says pick one. Only an idiot is picking the Prius and saying "f&€k it. I'll turbo the bitch". Entry level sports cars serve a wonderful propose but it's just human nature to want more. I don't know why this simple fact sets the V6 owners off? I freely admit if I could afford a GT350. I wouldn't be in a GT! I didn't say the V6 isn't a nice car. There is a million threads about a v6 owner trading up to a V8 SS. How many threads do you see about V8 owners trading for a V6? So I'll say it again. If money was no object. Why would you want the entry level vehicle if given a choice? And to the kid that commented about the Mustang. LOL. I hope your enjoying your V6 as much as I'm enjoying this Mustang GT.
Wow, vent much. First off, yes I broke my engine...more than once. The same can be said for the first people that modded LS1 and LS3 motors. Guess what, there are plenty of folks on this forum that grenaded there V8s at way less power hand 650 RWHP. They had the benefit of someone else having done it before and yet they ended up in the same place as me. Second of all, I was at more than 2.5x stock power and 3.25x stock torque. There aren't many people that have done that to a LS3 or L99 without major internal changes (valve train, crank, aftermarket block, heads). My only internal changes were rods and pistons. Stock heads, stock valve train, stock cams, stock crank. Also, mine was beat on, not a dyno queen.

The reason I got "set off" (your words not mine) was that you made a blanket statement that we all couldn't afford a SS. That's simply not true. Just like when you imply no one goes from a SS to a V6. It has happened, and some are still on this site. Others probably just left because they didn't want to deal with pages of post calling them names.

Basically, they are all Camaros. No one is inherently better than another because they all have their plusses and minuses. If you think the difference in performance between a LS/LT and a SS is big, then you have never been in a fast car before. Sure both can be modded; way past what you or 99% of people can really comprehend. At that point why does the number of cylinders even matter?
Old 11-30-2015, 01:25 PM   #38
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
thank god someone said it before the rest of us chimed in especially you gretchen can't think of anyone better to argue the point knowing your builds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
Wow, vent much. First off, yes I broke my engine...more than once. The same can be said for the first people that modded LS1 and LS3 motors. Guess what, there are plenty of folks on this forum that grenaded there V8s at way less power hand 650 RWHP. They had the benefit of someone else having done it before and yet they ended up in the same place as me. Second of all, I was at more than 2.5x stock power and 3.25x stock torque. There aren't many people that have done that to a LS3 or L99 without major internal changes (valve train, crank, aftermarket block, heads). My only internal changes were rods and pistons. Stock heads, stock valve train, stock cams, stock crank. Also, mine was beat on, not a dyno queen.

The reason I got "set off" (your words not mine) was that you made a blanket statement that we all couldn't afford a SS. That's simply not true. Just like when you imply no one goes from a SS to a V6. It has happened, and some are still on this site. Others probably just left because they didn't want to deal with pages of post calling them names.

Basically, they are all Camaros. No one is inherently better than another because they all have their plusses and minuses. If you think the difference in performance between a LS/LT and a SS is big, then you have never been in a fast car before. Sure both can be modded; way past what you or 99% of people can really comprehend. At that point why does the number of cylinders even matter?

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Old 11-30-2015, 04:25 PM   #39
GossipSquirrelJelena
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post

LOL I personally own a 95 Gt that puts 800+ to the wheels. So assume you understand the power I can comprehend. Your trying to argue a point that has nothing to do with what I said. I never said the entry level cars are not wonderful cars or don't serve a purpose. You've been conditioned to defend against all perceived attacks on V6s. If you cant understand that a ZL1/Z28 is a better performance car than an SS and an SS is a better Performance car than a LS right from the factory. You need to take the entry level blinders off. Your "we are all equal" arguement is refuted by the hard performance stats. See the issue is your so impressed with the 650 that you put to the wheels. You got yourself believing that everything is equal. And no one can rap their head around the awesome power that you make. You just assumed you had the faster car than me because 650 is a big number......to you. And it is til you line up next to someone like me who is making 800+! Let's get back on point. Ask 100 people. You just hit the lottery and given a choice to choose between a ZL1/Z28 or an SS. Or to choose between a SS or LS. What is everyone picking? You made your choice. The other 99 people most likely are not following your lead. I can't be any more clear then that. It's not the politically correct thing to say. But it is the truth none the less.

Last edited by GossipSquirrelJelena; 12-01-2015 at 04:36 AM.
Old 11-30-2015, 04:37 PM   #40
GretchenGotGrowl

Quote:
LOL I personally own a 95 Gt that puts 800+ to the wheels. So assume you understand the power I can comprehend. Your trying to argue a point that has nothing to do with what I said. I never said the entry level cars are not wonder cars or don't serve a purpose. You've been conditioned to defend against all perceived attacks on V6s. If you cant understand that a ZL1/Z28 is a better car than an SS and an SS is a better Performance car than a LS right from the factory. You need to take the entry level blinders off. Your "we are all equal" arguement is refuted by the hard performance stats. See the issue is your so impressed with the 650 that you put to the wheels. You got yourself believing that everything is equal. And no one can rap their head around the awesome power that you make. You just assumed you had the faster car than me because 650 is a big number......to you. And it is til you line up next to someone like me who is making 800+! Let's get back on point. Ask 100 people. You just hit the lottery and given a choice to choose between a ZL1/Z28 or an SS. Or to choose between a SS or LS. What is everyone picking? You made your choice. The other 99 people most likely are not following your lead. I can't be any more clear then that.
I never assumed anything about your car. I said if you think there is a big difference between a SS and a LS/LT then you haven't been in a fast car. I also don't assume 650 to the wheels is that much, just more than 99% have experienced.

The SS is quicker than the LS/LT, stock for stock. The ZL1 is quicker and a better overall car than the SS or LS/LT, stock for stock. No one argued that point. That doesn't make it a better car...the point you keep making. Better is in the eye of the beholder, and some have the money (without winning the lottery) and still chose the LS/LT (or SS) over the "better" Camaro. Why? Because the other's weren't that much "better." Some people would rather put a million banks in an investment than buy a little bit faster car. It is even more so when we are talking about $10K...other uses for that money. Something has to explain why ~70% of all 5th Gen Camaros sold had a V6.

In the end, it would be like me saying my Z06 is better than a LS/LT. Sure, it's quicker and cuts a better corner, but I can't fit four people in it and it doesn't go very far on a tank of gas. I have to leave it at home when the temps go below 40 degrees, and the tires are expensive and don't last long. Like I said, they all have their plusses and minuses.
Old 11-30-2015, 05:05 PM   #41
MagnumForceGB

Drives: Fastest 2010 Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
thank god someone said it before the rest of us chimed in especially you gretchen can't think of anyone better to argue the point knowing your builds.
I'm glad Gretchen did his build, taught me not to put 22 PSI of boost in the car. Also found the limits of the transmission which saves me from buying unnecessary stuff.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:00 PM   #42
The Black Knight
2013 Black LFX

Drives: '13 1LS
Quote:
If money was "really" no object, then I can assure you I wouldn't even be looking a buying an American car. If money was really of no object, then I'd be riding around in a Koenigsegg Agera R or Ferrari LaFerrari.

Then again, if money really was of no object. I wouldn't be on an internet Camaro forum chatting. I'd be too busy out spending the money on cool stuff and doing cool things.

Mods: Flowmaster Series 10's axle back, Black ZL1 20X9 wheels(from Factory Reproductions), K&N Typhoon cold air intake, 20% window tint(all sides & back), gun metal hash marks, black outs for Camaro and Chevy badges, Vitesse Throttle Controller

Closed Thread