Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-21-2009, 06:23 PM   #1
Treadstone

Drives: Z51 BABY!
Remote Auto Start on Manual transmission?

Anyone looking at adding this mod? Would be helpful to me due to the HOT weather down here.

But I'm wondering why GM doesn't offer it from the factory?

Looking at this unit
http://autostartusa.com/Products/Pro...ProductID=4201
Old 06-21-2009, 06:40 PM   #2
Road_Warrior85

Drives: IBM 2SSRS, 12 Jeep Wrangler 4door
Send a message via Yahoo to Road_Warrior85
It is actually kinda simple... they CANT offer it from the factory.

What happens to a manual shift car when you crank the motor if it is in gear and you dont press the clutch???????

An accident happens.

Now you may think, "thats easy, just park it in neutral with the parking brake on"........ but how many people are too slow to think of that.... or just too forgetfull to remember that?????

I would love to have an auto start on my car... AC in the summer, Heat in the winter.... and COOL when you wanna show off.... but I dont know if I want to pursue an aftermarket kit or not
Old 06-21-2009, 06:41 PM   #3
joepitt

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro, 2017 Acura
I don't know how it would work without the tranny in neutral. I'm sure the corporate lawyers have all kinds of safety related legal concerns about leaving a car in neutral and parked. What if the parking brake failed, the car rolled and killed someone? Big lawsuit for GM I'm sure.
Dinah Shore, 1952: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGZvQoPxhNs
joepitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 06:45 PM   #4
WYcamaro

Drives: in reverse
Python is also offering Remote starts with a manual option.

http://www.pythoncarsecurity.com/pro...?ProductID=617
WYcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 07:20 PM   #5
SIK07GTSTANG
Team Fordpower

Drives: 2007 Mustang GT
As long as powertrain/transmission warranties exist, there will never be a remote start for a manual transmission.
SIK07GTSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 07:39 PM   #6
jelly2m8

Drives: GM 2 seaters
I have no idea why manufactures won't simply install a switch into the manual transmission/axle to detect when the shifter is in the neutral position.

Most remote starter makers do make a manual gearbox version that incorporates park brake, brake pedal and door pin inputs to ensure you have the car in neutral gear and the car locked before it will enable the remote start.

The sequence for those is kind of a pain in the ass at first to set and get used to, but they work fine.

Example of one brand I use.

Engine running. Press and hold brake pedal and activate park brake. Release brakes pedal.
Hold start button on remote for 2 seconds untill the dash lights flash 5 times.

Turn engine off and remove key. ( engine stays running ). Open door and exit vehicle. Close door. Hold lock button and doors lock and engine will shut off. 2 flashes from park lights.

Basicially the procedure makes you ensure the car is in neutral and with the park brake on before you exit the car.

If you unlock, or open the door or release the park brake the remote starter automaticially disables.
jelly2m8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 07:41 PM   #7
jelly2m8

Drives: GM 2 seaters
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIK07GTSTANG View Post
As long as powertrain/transmission warranties exist, there will never be a remote start for a manual transmission.

Wrong. Remote starter companies offer remote starters for manuals.

I can personally verify at least 8 manual vehicles with a remote starter and a valid powertrain warranty.
jelly2m8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 08:18 PM   #8
ahart04
most bang for your buck

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS CGM/BLK RALLYS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior85 View Post
It is actually kinda simple... they CANT offer it from the factory.

What happens to a manual shift car when you crank the motor if it is in gear and you dont press the clutch???????

An accident happens.

Now you may think, "thats easy, just park it in neutral with the parking brake on"........ but how many people are too slow to think of that.... or just too forgetfull to remember that?????

I would love to have an auto start on my car... AC in the summer, Heat in the winter.... and COOL when you wanna show off.... but I dont know if I want to pursue an aftermarket kit or not
I would like to get one too, this guy said everything I would have...I hope we can get a thread going about different brands, prices, etc...
Old 06-21-2009, 08:39 PM   #9
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
My 2SS w/ 6 speed will not start without the clutch pedal pushed all the way in. You can't start it in neutral even with the emergency brake on without pushing the clutch in. You would have to find a way to override this safety feature.

Russ
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:00 PM   #10
WYcamaro

Drives: in reverse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Hunsaker View Post
My 2SS w/ 6 speed will not start without the clutch pedal pushed all the way in. You can't start it in neutral even with the emergency brake on without pushing the clutch in. You would have to find a way to override this safety feature.

Russ
Installers have been working around that for awhile, they just bypass that. It used to be hard to find an installer that would work with manual tranny's, they had to make their own clutch bypasses and neutral switches, but as everything became electronic more aftermarket company's started offering it for manuals.
WYcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:43 PM   #11
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
This is why...
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 10:06 PM   #12
Treadstone

Drives: Z51 BABY!
If you have it installed right it won't do that unless it's in neutral. They have safety features for it.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:16 PM   #13
shockandawe

Drives: 2014 Z51 Corvette
Get the auto, it's much faster then the manual,not to mention the remote start! Also,it sucks shifting in stop n go traffic.
shockandawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 11:33 PM   #14
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockandawe View Post
Get the auto, it's much faster then the manual,not to mention the remote start! Also,it sucks shifting in stop n go traffic.
no offense, lame response, these are getting ridiculous. NOT faster at all.... and it doesn't suck shifting in stop-n-go that much.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote