Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-18-2010, 09:05 AM   #1
respawn

Drives: 2010 Syn Green LE Camaro
Window Tint Survey

Ok, I spent the last hour searching this topic and found a lot of useful information (like window indexing, etc) but would like to poll some specific data for when I go get my tinting done. Please take the time to respond (quote) and fill in the survey. Thanks!

1. What trim level and color is your Camaro?
2. What state do you live in and what % tint is LEGAL in your state?
3. What % tint did you get on your windows (sides, back, front brow?)?
4. How long have you had your tint job?
5. If you are not "legal", have you had trouble with the law (ticket, pulled over)?
6. If you are not "legal", have you had trouble getting a safety inspection sticker / brake tag?
7. How much did you pay for your tint job?
8. Who did your tint job (friend, mobile service, pro shop)?
9. Would you do anything differently 'next time' or have any words of wisdom to impart?

Thanks!
respawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:17 AM   #2
kdbolt70

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by respawn View Post
Ok, I spent the last hour searching this topic and found a lot of useful information (like window indexing, etc) but would like to poll some specific data for when I go get my tinting done. Please take the time to respond (quote) and fill in the survey. Thanks!

Thanks!
See profile/sig
Michigan. Front window tint is illegal, rears you can do whatever you want.
35% front windows, 20% rears
Since July of last year
5. If you are not "legal", have you had trouble with the law (ticket, pulled over)?
No. Though I also have a doctors not which exempts me from tint laws
6. If you are not "legal", have you had trouble getting a safety inspection sticker / brake tag?
none in Mi.
I don't remember, something like $200.
Ziebart
9. Would you do anything differently 'next time' or have any words of wisdom to impart?
I'd probably match the rears with the fronts, and go 20% all the way around. It is a hinderance at night, as the Camaro already has relatively poor visibility, so thats something to think about. That being said, I still find my 35% fronts a bit to light for my taste.
2SS/RS Victory Red M6 w/ Black Rallys #3305
Muffler Delete, Lloyd "SS" Floormats, K&N Aircharger, Skip Shift Eliminator, Blacked Bowties
kdbolt70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:47 AM   #3
TripleX

Drives: 10' Camaro 2SS/RS
Chevk out my Avatar...
Florida... 28% on front driver and passenger windows...
20% all the way around...
Last Month...
Negative...
Zero inspections in Florida...
$125.00
Rapheal's Window Tinting...
Nothing different... The combination of using the 20% all the way around really looks good and doesn't completely destroy your visibility... I would also recomend that you consider eight inches on the windshield strip... It puts your tint four inches illegally below the AS1 line but it sure looks good and serves a better purpose...
TripleX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:26 AM   #4
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
2SS / Black
Alabama / 32%
32% all the way around. No front brow.
3 days. Had it done Monday. (ya I know, I've had the car for 8 months)
n/a
n/a
145.00 / I should add that our good freinds own the detail shop and I insisted they charge me full price plus I added 20.00 gratuity. / so they would have charged 125.00
See answer to 7.
No, and 'Stay in School'.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:43 AM   #5
RickyTheStorm

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS,04 Colorado,06 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by respawn View Post

2SS IOM
Pennsylvania - confusing. PA State Law is (must be able to see inside of vehicle), however, police are determined to enforce 70% which is immediately thrown out in all court battles and case dropped.
Planning 20% Sides and Back - nothing on front
Haven't gotten it yet, hope to next month, have 20% on my truck though sides and back
Once - went to court - cop lost, no fines or costs
No on my truck
$135 on truck
Pro Shop - Dr. Tint
Yea - if your tint starts peeling don't cut off the peel and bring it in for the lifetime replacement if something goes wrong

IOM - 2SS/RS - Auto - IAP - Sunroof - Ordered 10/13 (#7 at dealer)
3000(accepted to production ): 4/19/09
3300 (scheduled for prod ): 5/11/09
3400 (broadcast ): 5/16/09
3800 (produced ): 5/22/09
4150 (invoiced ): 6/01/09
4200 (shipped ): 6/01/09
5000 (at dealer ): 6/12/09
6000 (delivery to me ): 6/12/09
RickyTheStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:45 AM   #6
RickyTheStorm

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS,04 Colorado,06 ZX6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
3 days. Had it done Monday. (ya I know, I've had the car for 8 months)
Hey me too - and mine won't be done until next month

IOM - 2SS/RS - Auto - IAP - Sunroof - Ordered 10/13 (#7 at dealer)
3000(accepted to production ): 4/19/09
3300 (scheduled for prod ): 5/11/09
3400 (broadcast ): 5/16/09
3800 (produced ): 5/22/09
4150 (invoiced ): 6/01/09
4200 (shipped ): 6/01/09
5000 (at dealer ): 6/12/09
6000 (delivery to me ): 6/12/09
RickyTheStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:48 AM   #7
bng804

Drives: '10 Victory Red 2LT
Quote:
<-- 2LT Victory Red - Click on "My Garage"

Quote:
Oklahoma. Legal is a net 25% on all windows. That means that you can't meter less than 25% combined with the factory tint / coating that is on all newer cars. This effectively makes 35% as dark as you can go legally.

Code:
I did 20% sides and rear. 5% brow.

Quote:
On the Camaro, about 6 months. I've had darker than legal on my cars for 15+ years.

Quote:
Not "trouble", but I have been asked if it was legal by law enforcement. I ALWAYS roll both front windows down immediately if I get pulled over. This for me makes law enforcement more comfortable seeing into my car on approach and they generally leave me alone about the tint. Tint is tough to enforce in Oklahoma. Light meters are required to deterimine legality, and to my knowledge, only the highway patrol has them, and then, only on some units.

Quote:
No inspections anymore in OK.

Quote:
Free. However, the going rate for high quality film on a Camaro around here is probably somewhere around $160-$180.

Quote:
Me, I'm an ex-pro tinter and do all my own cars.

Quote:
Don't use cheap film. 3M is the best, Huper Optik a close second. Ceramic films are the best combination of looks, performance, and durability. Stay away from metalized to avoiding reducing your radio signal. Don't go to the car dealer for tint. Ask around to determine who in your area does quality work at the best price.
bng804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:59 AM   #8
cybercoaster

Drives: 2017 2SS 50th Anv, 1972 RS
CGM
OK
15% http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...highlight=tint
1st thing I done to my car - 6 mo.
No
$100
Friend at a pro shop
Nope
cybercoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:05 AM   #9
Abygale

Drives: .
2LT/RS & Inferno Orange
Kansas. 35%
35% front and rears- no tinting on the front brow
Since September 2009
No and don't expect to since I'm legal.
N/A
I think it was $300 but I went with a ceramic film and I have a lifetime warranty.
Professional tinter- I went with a Formula One dealer in Edmond, Oklahoma because after doing my research, I knew I wanted the Pinnacle Series ceramic tint because I have the black leather interior. Ceramic film has higher heat rejection than standard films, and you should avoid metallic films altogether due to interference it may cause with radio/satellite reception.
No. I'm very happy. See words of advice above.

Aby
Abygale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:05 AM   #10
jonnyb

Drives: IBM 2SS/RS
Send a message via Yahoo to jonnyb
1. What trim level and color is your Camaro? RS/2SS IBM
2. What state do you live in and what % tint is LEGAL in your state? Nevada, 28% is legal on the driver and passenger windows and the back windows you can go to 5% from what the tint guy told me.
3. What % tint did you get on your windows (sides, back, front brow?)? 28% on the front two 15% on the back 3
4. How long have you had your tint job? 2 days
5. If you are not "legal", have you had trouble with the law (ticket, pulled over)? no problems yet
6. If you are not "legal", have you had trouble getting a safety inspection sticker / brake tag? No
7. How much did you pay for your tint job? $200
8. Who did your tint job (friend, mobile service, pro shop)? Friend of a friend of a friend, he used to own a shop here but could not keep it going because of the economics, he does side work in his garage.
9. Would you do anything differently 'next time' or have any words of wisdom to impart? I would go darker in the back windows, I was worried that it would be to dark and I would have trouble seeing out of the back. I would have also gone to 15% on the side windows but was worried about being illegal. Thinking about it now hell with it if I would have gotten a ticket then I would just pay to have it redone. The guy that did it is good and I trust him so $200 is a little pricey but worth it in my mind when you trust the person doing it.

Thanks!
Old 02-18-2010, 11:12 AM   #11
pleigh

Drives: 2010 CGM 1LT A6

see avatar..

Louisiana, I believe it's 40% front, 25% passenger, and 16% rear..

20% sides and back

3 weeks, already have interior scratches (and it's ceramic)

No, Southern Louisiana.. theirs is darker than mine...

Won't know until next year..

$220 cash..

Local shop, clean and professional but still have a couple minor issues with their work..

Look for a friend in the business, there are many 'tricks of the trade' and would have helped to know them up front.. I felt I had a loss of negotiation since my tint was "illegal" but they've been willing to replace the two pieces I had issue with. From the threads on here, the installation isn't as bad as you may think and you can buy the pieces precut if you want to give it a go.

NO, the Rev limiter is not set to 118MPH... and YES, driving in this manner does affect MPG...
pleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:35 AM   #12
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
1. What trim level and color is your Camaro? 2SSRS IOM
2. What state do you live in and what % tint is LEGAL in your state? RI/ ILLEGAL
3. What % tint did you get on your windows (sides, back, front brow?)? 5% BACK 20% SIDES
4. How long have you had your tint job? AUGUST 2009
5. If you are not "legal", have you had trouble with the law (ticket, pulled over)? NOT YET
6. If you are not "legal", have you had trouble getting a safety inspection sticker / brake tag? WON'T KNOW UNTIL IT IS READY FOR INSPECTION.
7. How much did you pay for your tint job? $230.00
8. Who did your tint job (friend, mobile service, pro shop)? PRO SHOP
9. Would you do anything differently 'next time' or have any words of wisdom to impart? I WOULD HAVE WENT WITH 5% ON THE SIDES ALSO, BUT I WILL BE CHANGING THAT SOON.
2010 SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote